Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It certainly isn't just football that is looking to return and making plans. F1 are looking to start in July behind closed doors, with 2 races being planned for Silverstone in late July. Rugby Union is also making plans to try and finish the Premiership season starting in July. Horse racing are also looking at ways of running socially distanced race meets. Other sports will be discussing plans even if those plans haven't yet made the media.

As I said, months away. The problem as I see it though is the social distancing issue. Unless or until the rules are relaxed on that I can't see how you can have contact sports like football and rugby going ahead.

Horse racing, F1, cricket, singles tennis and a host of other non-contact sports possibly could resume, spectator less, but not the contact sports at present.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The simple answer there is ALL Premier League clubs should be taking their snouts out of the trough for a while and create a fund for clubs within the EFL to stop any from going belly up at this difficult time. That would surely solve the Accrington scenario.

But all of the Premier League clubs rely so much on spending ALL+ of the TV money, sometimes in advance, that where does the money come from currently? Yes, the Premier League as a whole needs to make ongoing provisions to support clubs in crisis and to help ALL other clubs in this sort of scenario, but the Prem clubs aren't even able to support their own staff at the moment.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it feels like football needs fixing.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
But all of the Premier League clubs rely so much on spending ALL+ of the TV money, sometimes in advance, that where does the money come from currently? Yes, the Premier League as a whole needs to make ongoing provisions to support clubs in crisis and to help ALL other clubs in this sort of scenario, but the Prem clubs aren't even able to support their own staff at the moment.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it feels like football needs fixing.

I think, not just in football terms, but life in general, we need to look to the wealthy to help pay their fare share, rather than being allowed to take the piss - yes you, Mr Ashley and Levy.

It is many of the country's most poorly paid, shop workers, NHS staff, delivery drivers, etc. that are currently keeping the country going, however, they will be the first to be shat on from a great height when this is all done and dusted and the books have to be balanced.

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
NINTCHDBPICT000571052579-e1584295825165.jpg

:facepalm::nono:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not sure this is the case though; indeed Andy Holt (accrington chairman) has argued the opposite in that playing behind closed doors would lead to them folding, opposed to curtailing the league and being able to 'shutdown' the club (furlough all but a few staff etc) and start up again when they can function properly. This obviously changes as we get higher up the pyramid as match day revenue becomes less and less relevant vs TV money.

EDIT: I see reports that France have canned the season are coming in. Announcement expected soon.

I could be wrong but again I thought the suggestion was that it's only the Prem that restarts in July/August, with the money generated from that being fed down to lower leagues to enable them to keep running whilst staying closed for now.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I could be wrong but again I thought the suggestion was that it's only the Prem that restarts in July/August, with the money generated from that being fed down to lower leagues to enable them to keep running whilst staying closed for now.

I've not seen that, if so that is a step in the right direction when the return does eventually happen.

Where did you see that?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Suggestion is the key word.

Someone has suggested it.

It is not an agreed plan.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Since when did two wrongs make a right?

Barely anyone, including on NSC, has the slightest interest in all the retail, building, takeaway and other non-essential businesses and workers who are disregard social distancing, now.

In 5 weeks time behind closed doors football, only with government approval, might start. Putting some Albion fans in a spin about greedy owners, the immorality of it all, sometimes with a focus on the social distancing of the players, staff and officials.

Double standards.

Let's see what Public Health say at the time.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton

Fair enough - I hadn't read that. Would make relegation and promotion very odd if some finished and some hadn't. Plus the calendars would be all squiffy.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The simple answer there is ALL Premier League clubs should be taking their snouts out of the trough for a while and create a fund for clubs within the EFL to stop any from going belly up at this difficult time. That would surely solve the Accrington scenario.

We made a £20m loss last year. Palace pay wages 107% of their income

All figures are approximate as I can't remember them. The point is, most Premier League clubs aren't making a lot of money in the good times let alone now.

Now the chairmen are mostly loaded. But they can't be forced to put their hands in their pockets for lower league clubs and more than you or I could.

They could do it out of generosity, but given that 4 tried to furlough low paid staff, it's not a promising start.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think, not just in football terms, but life in general, we need to look to the wealthy to help pay their fare share, rather than being allowed to take the piss - yes you, Mr Ashley and Levy.

It is many of the country's most poorly paid, shop workers, NHS staff, delivery drivers, etc. that are currently keeping the country going, however, they will be the first to be shat on from a great height when this is all done and dusted and the books have to be balanced.

They are. In fact I'm imagining a swimming pool sized bucket of s*** being poured from a height that Felix Baumgartner would bottle out of. That's how the NHS, shop workers etc will get treated by their employers when we're not desperate for them any more.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Agree, I guess it's because we all live our lives here on a football forum, that we see all these desperate calls to get football back on track.

I am not sure the same could be said if you ask the man on the street, who may feel there are far more pressing demands and needs for the country at this time...

Very much this! Sadly Bill Shankly was wrong and all those rabid Liverpool fans who think it's some conspiracy to deny them the title need to take a reality check. Maybe someone close to them passing away? The health of the nation and the economy are way more important. It might of been interesting if a number of clubs were bunched at the top of the league as opposed to Liverpool miles ahead. Might the clamour to restart it have been reduced?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here