Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We're going to end up with something a bit like table football, I reckon.

Players won't be allowed within two metres of each other, so why not make it easier to manage that and simply strap/leash them to posts/bars etc, so each player is only able to move a limited distance from their stake. Then teams have to try and work the ball up the pitch towards the opposition's goal, like some sort of hybrid combination of a Playstation/Table Football game.

Or maybe decide all remaining games on penalties? Takers to remain on opposite touchlines two meters apart, obviously.

Seriously, there is no chance of this season finishing or the next one starting on time. We won't be back in the Amex until at least 2021. It's good that we're taking part in Operation Restart, just in case something does happen by some miracle, but the last I heard Maty Ryan was stuck in Oz?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Today’s papers
Plans to resume the Premier League season will step up this week in what has been labelled "Project Restart".

Arsenal, Brighton and West Ham have opened their training grounds to players for individual work on Monday.

The league is hopeful of a potential 8 June restart and finishing at the end of July to fit in with Uefa's European competition plans. This would require full training to begin by 18 May.”
I have To say I find this optimistic. All the time that people are being infected and dying, I am not sure the public are ready to accept this. Just wait for the same papers to turn against “greedy clubs stressing the NHS”
Also what happens when a player tests positive? The team have to isolate and cannot play
Logistically what about travel, hotels for long distance fixtures. I guess they have to travel by coach.
Are all matches to be televised free, that would be nice but I doubt it .....and 10 Live games in a weekend?? Non football fans would hate that....
If I am wrong and it all works then I will be glad ....but ???

Maty Ryan and Jose Isquierdo must have made a rapid return to the UK then if the players are going to be back training by Monday. Good news.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Today’s papers
Plans to resume the Premier League season will step up this week in what has been labelled "Project Restart".

Arsenal, Brighton and West Ham have opened their training grounds to players for individual work on Monday.

The league is hopeful of a potential 8 June restart and finishing at the end of July to fit in with Uefa's European competition plans. This would require full training to begin by 18 May.”
I have To say I find this optimistic. All the time that people are being infected and dying, I am not sure the public are ready to accept this. Just wait for the same papers to turn against “greedy clubs stressing the NHS”
Also what happens when a player tests positive? The team have to isolate and cannot play
Logistically what about travel, hotels for long distance fixtures. I guess they have to travel by coach.
Are all matches to be televised free, that would be nice but I doubt it .....and 10 Live games in a weekend?? Non football fans would hate that....

100% agree. I find all this talk of a re-start distasteful when so many people are dying, so many healthcare workers don't have access to the right PPE, and testing for PEOPLE WHO NEED IT is at pathetically low levels. Added to that, they are proposing to actually change the rules part way through the season (5 subs), and the whole idea of playing two thirds of the season with fans in the stadium, then the rest without fans is a major issue in terms of fairness and integrity. Instead of clamouring to re-start the 19/20 season, the EPL should be doing everything it can to help the rest of the football family, and wider society. By all means plan for a new season (even if COMPLETELY behind closed doors), to start later in the year. But don't force a hotch-potch of matches, which inevitably will divert resources (be they police, medical staff, safety personnel, etc) from needs which are much greater.

The media are complicit in this clamouring - football sells a lot of papers, and there are an awful lot of journalists, pundits, etc, who have very little to do at the moment.

Frankly - much as I am missing football - this whole thing stinks. I'm with the Watford Chairman on this.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
We're going to end up with something a bit like table football, I reckon.

Players won't be allowed within two metres of each other, so why not make it easier to manage that and simply strap/leash them to posts/bars etc, so each player is only able to move a limited distance from their stake. Then teams have to try and work the ball up the pitch towards the opposition's goal, like some sort of hybrid combination of a Playstation/Table Football game.

https://www.facebook.com/classictvmoments/videos/morecambe-and-wise-table-football-superb/1425880130778683/

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Or maybe decide all remaining games on penalties? Takers to remain on opposite touchlines two meters apart, obviously.

Seriously, there is no chance of this season finishing or the next one starting on time. We won't be back in the Amex until at least 2021. It's good that we're taking part in Operation Restart, just in case something does happen by some miracle, but the last I heard Maty Ryan was stuck in Oz?

Not sure he’s stuck there, more he chose to go home (and had to spend 14 days in isolation in a hotel when he arrived). If the Govnt implement 14 day quarantine for anyone flying in, he’s going to need to get back quite sharpish

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Even in League 2? Or the National League South? It's irritating how PL-focused so much of this discussion has become.

The National Leagues voted last week to end the season with careful consideration being given to promotion and relegation.

Maty isn't stuck, he can still travel back to the UK as Australia's travel ban doesn't stop Australians who normally reside outside of Australia from leaving the country. It's just a case of what flights are available etc. The club would never have allowed him to return to Australia if there was any risk he couldn't return (the Australian travel ban was announced around March 20th which is before Ryan traveled).

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Today’s papers

Hundreds still dying each day and the PL still has its head in the sand.

Unbelievable lack of touch with the real world.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Hundreds still dying each day and the PL still has its head in the sand.

Unbelievable lack of touch with the real world.

And yet thousands of other businesses (hello B&Q, Greggs and Maccy Ds) are starting back up in limited fashion to try and kick start the economy and execute their business continuity plans.

If the PL can start up safely, behind closed doors then it should. It would be a massive morale boost for many football fans who are stuck in lockdown. Would I rather watch Norwich v Burnley behind closed doors or people on the One Show talking to each other about wacky video pranks over Zoom. Hmm. Let me see.

The anti-PL rhetoric on here, given that we're part of it, is weird.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
And yet thousands of other businesses (hello B&Q, Greggs and Maccy Ds) are starting back up in limited fashion to try and kick start the economy and execute their business continuity plans.

If the PL can start up safely, behind closed doors then it should. It would be a massive morale boost for many football fans who are stuck in lockdown. Would I rather watch Norwich v Burnley behind closed doors or people on the One Show talking to each other about wacky video pranks over Zoom. Hmm. Let me see.

We are on the edge of a very bad decision shortly.

As someone pointed out, the parachute has stopped us speeding towards impact. Best not consider it job done and take it off before hitting the ground.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

If the reason for the premature and slightly dangerous return was for entertainment reasons, then fair enough. Without the £££s involved, the sensible approach would be bin 19/20 and looking ahead to next season, how matches can be staged safely and with as much preparation and planning as possible.

The reason for doing what they're doing is the cause of concern for many, not the games themselves.

As has been said, football IS a crowd/spectator sport. It is much, much diluted by the planned behind closed door approach which, if truth be known, is not vital.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I agree that the PL should start when it is safe. However, no-one in the PL is stating what happens if loads of fans turn up outside grounds, which inevitably will happen. Especially in Liverpool. That will not keep the R down, specially locally.

It is not really weird that Brighton fans are not that enamoured with the PL. The journey there was fantastic, full of heartbreak and exultation but the reality of staying there takes the shine off. I have a good friend who is palace, he said to me a couple of years after they were promoted against Watford, that he wished they were back in the championship and now I know what it means. Unless one is lucky enough to be one of the biggest teams or a Leicester or Wolves, then it seems that for the majority (exception this year being Sheff U but I wonder if they can sustain it long-term?) most of the games are not very competitive with the better teams and most games are not great to watch with the rest as teams tend to play very negatively due to the fear that apart from the top 8 or so, anyone can go down.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
We are on the edge of a very bad decision shortly.

As someone pointed out, the parachute has stopped us speeding towards impact. Best not consider it job done and take it off before hitting the ground.

I don't disagree with any of that but you're singling out a behind closed doors sporting match with 36 players, coaching staff, 4 officials and a few cameramen. Compare that to the literally thousands of people queuing for B&Q in the sun over the weekend. It's not football that's closing the parachute.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

completely agree.

Football being back in any form would lift everyone , those that are bored , those that wok in hospitals , those with covid , those who have lost people

Football is unique and liftig people

Selfishly I agree , I'd rather watch football than covid things

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The Premier League is one of the richest football organisations in the world. Some of the clubs in it have financial resources that would put many countries to shame. Conjuring up some farcical non-football ridiculousness is not the way to go about saving any club, the money is there to spread it around so get spreading. So Man City might not be able to pay a squillion quid for Neymar this summer, but they can keep the entire football league going for 12 months if they wanted to. Or, should I say, if they were forced to.

By what mechanism would Man City be forced to keep lower league clubs afloat?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Maybe a way for footballers to keep distance...

[tweet]1254081993144492033[/tweet]

I think generally people are overplaying the extent to which the rules will be changed.

Five subs? Well maybe a bit more disruptive. Nothing to stop them implementing it that if you want more than 3 subs on you have to do more than one at a time.

Not allowed to touch each other defending a corner? That will be a positive change, which will hopefully stay.

Not allowed to touch each other in a wall. How many are formed during a match, 3 or 4? Nothing to say you can't still be close to each other.

Players can't run up and scream in the refs face? Yes please

There's still going to be contact, tackling, competing for headers. Changes which make it "not like football" just aren't going to be sanctioned.

Clearly there are issues which need working through. To me, the practicalities of safely getting the games on is still the bigger issue than running a few minor rule changes.

As a sport we've got ourselves in a situation where clubs at all levels have incredibly high costs. We've already lost Bury. 3 or 4 more may not have survived the next few years, even without the coronavirus. Without matchday and tv income, many grand old clubs in the hearts of the communities are going under.

We have to remember that we're one of the lucky clubs. Had this happened 20 to 30 years ago, The Albion would have had no chance of survival.

We can't afford to be precious about the minor rule changes which we'll need to make to get games back on (when the health risk is manageable) to save as many clubs as we can.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed

Surely no one is that desperate for football? Odd.

I say football. It won’t be football.

Ask Glenn Murray if you think otherwise, pretty sure he has said something along the lines of football being pointless if there’s no fans there to watch.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I think generally people are overplaying the extent to which the rules will be changed.

Five subs? Well maybe a bit more disruptive. Nothing to stop them implementing it that if you want more than 3 subs on you have to do more than one at a time.

Not allowed to touch each other defending a corner? That will be a positive change, which will hopefully stay.

Not allowed to touch each other in a wall. How many are formed during a match, 3 or 4? Nothing to say you can't still be close to each other.

Players can't run up and scream in the refs face? Yes please

There's still going to be contact, tackling, competing for headers. Changes which make it "not like football" just aren't going to be sanctioned.

Clearly there are issues which need working through. To me, the practicalities of safely getting the games on is still the bigger issue than running a few minor rule changes.

As a sport we've got ourselves in a situation where clubs at all levels have incredibly high costs. We've already lost Bury. 3 or 4 more may not have survived the next few years, even without the coronavirus. Without matchday and tv income, many grand old clubs in the hearts of the communities are going under.

We have to remember that we're one of the lucky clubs. Had this happened 20 to 30 years ago, The Albion would have had no chance of survival.

We can't afford to be precious about the minor rule changes which we'll need to make to get games back on (when the health risk is manageable) to save as many clubs as we can.

It’s a great post but surely you realise behind closed doors matches are not going to save League 2, 1 and potentially Championship sides?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
By what mechanism would Man City be forced to keep lower league clubs afloat?

I'm not someone who drafts football rulebooks so I don't know. But where there is a will there is a way. It's high time the top 6 started paying their fair share toward the football pyramid they take so much from.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here