Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
How can you changes the rules of a competition two thirds of the way through? It surely removes any integrity and can only benefit the bigger clubs who have greater strength in depth. Imagine one of those extra subs coming on and scoring the goal to send a team down. It'd turn the season in to a farce...I mean more than it already is.

Already has been turned into a farce

Players now have had a chance to complete rehab and come back to full fitness.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
How can you changes the rules of a competition two thirds of the way through? It surely removes any integrity and can only benefit the bigger clubs who have greater strength in depth. Imagine one of those extra subs coming on and scoring the goal to send a team down. It'd turn the season in to a farce...I mean more than it already is.

They might as well go the whole hog and say no tackling, no corners, and as long as the players stay 2 meters apart then it can go ahead!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

It shows to me the complete disregard for players and fans, this is purely about money.

The majority of players will obviously want to resume, as they will maintain their pay and not have to take a wage cut.

The Premier League do not care about the fans and never have, it’s all about broadcasting and advertising revenue.
The lower leagues will struggle with no crowds and where will their revenue come from with no tv. I would imagine only those with a chance of promotion to the elitist Premier League would object to the league being cancelled this season.

I think if the league does go ahead, it would absolve any guilt laid at the big clubs for not helping the smaller clubs.

I really can’t see how the leagues can finish fairly this season, momentum for some squads will have gone.
I could be proved wrong, but it just seems wrong, and a very very money oriented decision.

I’m already somewhat disillusioned with the Premier League and the boring top six favouritism and eternal struggle for survival.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Is that for private jets as well as scheduled flights? Remember we are talking about the fairytale land of the premier league.

They are included too, but if Maty said he was a Premier League football then I'm sure the powers at be will make an exception and find him a flight - if he was a league 2 player then he'd have to swim.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Matty Ryan still in Australia, will he have to self isolate for 14 days on entering the UK?

There is currently no requirement for people arriving in the UK to quarantine themselves for 14 days.

He can't even leave Australia - all international air travel from Australia for Australian (or dual) citizens currently banned until 2021.

It would have been incredibly short-sighted of the club to allow him to return to Australia if their was a risk he couldn't return. I'm fairly certain the club will have checked out the requirements for him to leave the country again and he'll qualify under it being in the national interest or something.

It does say on the Australian Home Affairs website that Australian citizens don't have to apply for permission to travel if they are ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia. So hopefully that is Maty covered for his return to Brighton.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Would be the perfect opportunity to field one of our other capable goalkeepers.

Matt Ryan is a solid keeper and clearly a good character, though his pre-lockdown record of conceding at least a goal a game(Wolves away clean sheet noted) shouldn't be overlooked. We rarely keep a clean sheet, which is frustrating. Would be interested to see whether another keeper would fair better and maybe build a stronger solidity with our defenders.

Probably an unpopular suggestion as Ryan is rightly a popular player on and off the pitch, but there you go. I still believe Walton could have a big future with the Albion, once he's given a proper chance to prove himself at the Amex. Once his time is done at Ewood Park.

Right, now you’ve brought this football forum back to actually talking about football and team selection, when it does restart - I counter your suggestion re Walton to say he will not play a Premier League game for The Albion...

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I stand to be corrected, but I can only find where it says all travel from Australia ( for Australians) is banned unless for Aid work, compassionate grounds or work...( I.e. your job). Quite sure Ryans situation would be considered his work.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The Government has detailed talks with Premier League chiefs to get football back up and running "as soon as possible".

Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Secretary Oliver Dowden revealed the discussions over a return to action in order to "support the whole football community".

He told the House of Commons: "I personally have been in talks with the Premier League with a view to getting football up and running as soon as possible in order to support the whole football community.”

The Premier League has been inactive since the middle of March due to the*coronavirusoutbreak and there are fears as to whether the season will be able to restart.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...remier-21934863.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I stand to be corrected, but I can only find where it says all travel from Australia ( for Australians) is banned unless for Aid work, compassionate grounds or work...( I.e. your job). Quite sure Ryans situation would be considered his work.

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia

It says on that page that Australian citizens and permanent residents cannot travel overseas due to COVID-19 restrictions and then lists a long list of reasons to apply for an exemption. It doesn't mention work in general, just some types or work, mainly what would be considered key workers etc.

At the bottom of the page it then lists Australian citizens who do not have to apply for an exemption to travel. I believe Maty would be covered by the ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia caveat.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It shows to me the complete disregard for players and fans, this is purely about money.

The majority of players will obviously want to resume, as they will maintain their pay and not have to take a wage cut.

The Premier League do not care about the fans and never have, it’s all about broadcasting and advertising revenue. The lower leagues will struggle with no crowds and where will their revenue come from with no tv. I would imagine only those with a chance of promotion to the elitist Premier League would object to the league being cancelled this season.

I think if the league does go ahead, it would absolve any guilt laid at the big clubs for not helping the smaller clubs.

I really can’t see how the leagues can finish fairly this season, momentum for some squads will have gone.
I could be proved wrong, but it just seems wrong, and a very very money oriented decision.

I’m already somewhat disillusioned with the Premier League and the boring top six favouritism and eternal struggle for survival.

All Albion fans, bar Tony Bloom, would agree that the sooner we leave this elitist, money obsessed PL, the better. That dream may come true in June or July.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Right, now you’ve brought this football forum back to actually talking about football and team selection, when it does restart - I counter your suggestion re Walton to say he will not play a Premier League game for The Albion...

If Button or Steele are not considered good enough to step in if Ryan is unavailable for any reason then you have to wonder why we signed them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Button or Steele are not considered good enough to step in if Ryan is unavailable for any reason then you have to wonder why we signed them.

Both are a big downgrade imo. Krull was the one we should have kept and given him the opportunity to genuinely challenge Ryan

Ryan is number one by such a distance that we won’t get a top quality back up keeper

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Cheap way to fill 2 HGP slots

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Both are a big downgrade imo. Krull was the one we should have kept with the opportunity to genuinely challenge Ryan

Button undoubtedly, I'm on the fence re Steele, always impressed against us, and played for us at Bournemouth. However, Ben Roberts and Potter see him every day.......

Edit - re Krull, not sure. I still don't think he's the goalie he was at Newcastle, but certainly an improvement on what we have currently......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here