Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
But ignoring all the flannel about money, role models etc etc as of this week government policy is for employers to encourage people back to work where possible. They're not being asked to do anything that other industries aren't also doing.

Provided social distancing is in place. The Health and Safety Executive will be doing spot checks. I wonder what they will make of corners (and much else) in football matches.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
But ignoring all the flannel about money, role models etc etc as of this week government policy is for employers to encourage people back to work where possible. They're not being asked to do anything that other industries aren't also doing.

The returning to work is under conditions the Gov are publishing later this week which will include social distancing measures. Impossible to train properly and play with those measures in place so understandably the players will ask why they are being asked to not adhere to that guidance for entertainment.

Can see player refusal to return being the next roadblock to project re-start

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I’ve not seen that, and they’re not getting a click from me, but if that’s what they’ve stated - given the club are using a small stock of privately sourced kits, and given that the club has given the Amex over as the largest testing centre on the South coast - I hope Barber sets the legal dogs on the wankers.
I had a root around for you. If it did say that it has now been fixed as there is no reference to NHS tests in the article about testing protocols.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Provided social distancing is in place. The Health and Safety Executive will be doing spot checks. I wonder what they will make of corners (and much else) in football matches.

So this is why the PL/ is insisting on continued testing whereby all of the players and staff will be tested twice weekly, and so with a good degree of certainty, you can never take the risk out completely, when matches take place all players will be negative of the disease, if we had enough testing capacity to do that to the general population or any specific industry then we could be a lot more relaxed about social distancing measures.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The returning to work is under conditions the Gov are publishing later this week which will include social distancing measures. Impossible to train properly and play with those measures in place so understandably the players will ask why they are being asked to not adhere to that guidance for entertainment.

Can see player refusal to return being the next roadblock to project re-start

It was brave of Barber to talk to the media last week. Possibly even braver of Raheem Sterling to put his head above the parapet yesterday. He could easily be pulled apart by the popular press (who have their borderline racist agenda). Hopefully not - and hopefully Joe Public will appreciate his honesty and concerns.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I had a root around for you. If it did say that it has now been fixed as there is no reference to NHS tests in the article about testing protocols.

The printed article started “Brighton are facing criticism from Premier League rivals for using testing kits supplied by the NHS after a third member of Graham Potters squad tested positive for coronavirus.”

before continuing in a similar sly, disparaging way throughout a rambling article.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The printed article started “Brighton are facing criticism from Premier League rivals for using testing kits supplied by the NHS after a third member of Graham Potters squad tested positive for coronavirus.”

before continuing in a similar sly, disparaging way throughout a rambling article.

I suspect the kits were bought from the private London clinic that were offering the tests for £200-£400 ? each at the start of the crisis.

There is no evidence that NHS testing has been impacted.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The government has stated that the aim will be to do 200,000 tests a day by the end of this month, the PL will probably need to do about 1,500 tests a week which would be 0.001% of the countries weekly tests and it is unlikely on any given day we will ever do as many tests as there is capacity to be able to be tested.

On another point, it was reported that some tests were being sent to the US for analysis, presumably as there wasn't the capacity to do it in the UK.

Have to say that the testing, targets etc has been a farce from the beginning.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs

Thanks. That is the same article, now without the NHS references. But no apology...

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Even if the players don’t rebel [they will] and we get started BCD it takes a single positive result post match to get everyone at the venue into self isolation for 14 days which presumably Kai boshes this whole charade?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Surely that’s a very straight forward, open-and-shut libel/defamation case?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
If one player tests positive, it seems most realistic for that player to isolate, and continue to be testing accepting that there will be 'false positive' results so further tests will be useful. The Government advice was to isolate for 7 days or as long as the symptoms continue, with those that the person lives with, in their household, isolating for 14 days.

There is no requirement for work colleagues to isolate. Plenty of businesses have been operating throughout this saga, many of which involve people working at close quarters. There has never been a requirement for work colleagues to isolate.

I do not believe it is a workable option to suggest that if one or a couple of players test positive the whole squad (and staff?) go into isolation for 14 days. Any league which enacts that strategy will struggle to conclude their fixtures. I am aware of the Dresden situation, I am not sure how that will pan out. They seem to think that it will not jepordise completion of the league https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...mant-season-restart-dynamo-dresden-quarantine

I know there is an overall virus situation and that virus is likely to be around to some level for many months. The projections are that by 12 June, the proposed re-start date, the numbers will be much lower.

IMG_8621.PNG

Even if there is still a higher level than this come June, the real life risk to young healthy players with daily health support and regular testing is very low. The authorities and Governments know this which is why most leagues are preparing to re-start in May / June.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Even if there is still a higher level than this come June, the real life risk to young healthy players with daily health support and regular testing is very low. The authorities and Governments know this which is why most leagues are preparing to re-start in May / June.

You are still ignoring the risk these healthy young players pose to society if they contract Covid and pass it on to more vulnerable members of society. This can happen between tests and players can be asymptomatic when doing so. With an R number hovering close to 1 and people still dying on a daily basis, football at the moment is the only industry set to resume without social distancing workplace guidelines.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If one player tests positive, it seems most realistic for that player to isolate, and continue to be testing accepting that there will be 'false positive' results so further tests will be useful. The Government advice was to isolate for 7 days or as long as the symptoms continue, with those that the person lives with, in their household, isolating for 14 days.

There is no requirement for work colleagues to isolate. Plenty of businesses have been operating throughout this saga, many of which involve people working at close quarters. There has never been a requirement for work colleagues to isolate.

That may be the case if we play home and away venues but if players are playing at a neutral venue and staying at the same hotel for a couple of weeks then they will effectively be part of the same household.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
We still have a 7-day average of new cases at around 4,500. This number is declining VERY slowly (despite the fact that we've been consistently testing around 60,000 people a day for the whole of May). In Germany, Spain and France the average number of new cases per day is around 1,000.

The death rate is obviously declining, but there are still more than 40,000 deaths in the UK - significantly more than in any comparably-sized country. Excess Deaths this year is around 50,000 - way more than in any comparable country. There is no proper contact tracing system in operation. It just seems crazy to be contemplating playing football at the moment.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
You are still ignoring the risk these healthy young players pose to society if they contract Covid and pass it on to more vulnerable members of society. This can happen between tests and players can be asymptomatic when doing so. With an R number hovering close to 1 and people still dying on a daily basis, football at the moment is the only industry set to resume without social distancing workplace guidelines.

The plan is to re-start in one months time. The projections are that cases / deaths will be much lower, and guideline will be in place, by then.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
That may be the case if we play home and away venues but if players are playing at a neutral venue and staying at the same hotel for a couple of weeks then they will effectively be part of the same household.

As alluded to in post #1382 you mean [emoji102]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

It is not "set to resume without social distancing workplace guidelines". They won't be playing competitive football for another 4-6 weeks at the minimum.

We are never going to get risk to zero, but the risk levels involving people who are tested regularly is far, far lower than in the general population.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The plan is to re-start in one months time. The projections are that cases / deaths will be much lower, and guideline will be in place, by then.

Given the confused message from Johnson on Sunday and the 'reaction' to it, with roads packed and public transport busy again, I'd not be that confident that the cases / deaths will still be declining in a month. Sadly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here