Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Professional sport could potentially fall under the 'if you cant work from home, you must go to work' line though. Also if PL can prove all the stuff regarding safety and testing they may get a pass. Suspect we'll know more when the finer details of the new plan thing come out.

And how do they implement the working guidelines then? For example, social distancing?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If so lets just hope that one for us is not Maty Ryan who was last seen on a golf course down under!

He is in Australia at the moment - when he flies back in to the UK he may well have to go into quarantine for fourteen days, according to tonight's announcement. I wonder how many PL footballers will have buggered off home to foreign lands, and what sort of mess will that make of the PL's plans if half the teams can't get back in time to serve their 14 days quarantine before the league starts again?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
He is in Australia at the moment - when he flies back in to the UK he may well have to go into quarantine for fourteen days, according to tonight's announcement. I wonder how many PL footballers will have buggered off home to foreign lands, and what sort of mess will that make of the PL's plans if half the teams can't get back in time to serve their 14 days quarantine before the league starts again?

Being brought in at the end of May, so my guess would be Ryan and others would be told to head back in the next week or so.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
No, the camera is only on a 3 foot tripod. Those people in the background are actually Lego figures.
Careful. You'll get Twitter trolls from Liverpool and Leeds suggesting we are faking Ryan being in Australia as part of some dirty trick that our players are stuck overseas.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm getting a bit pissed off with the idea we want to call the season off because we would go down if we played the season out.
As long as Potter can get the boys fighting to stay up, I think we are actually in a better position now, than if we had played the games back in March and April.

The start up of the season is going to be a bit weird and all players will all be affected by the new protocols and conditions.
I daresay there will be a reasonable amount of players that don't give a toss about seeing out the season.

Once the title is sewn up, what have Liverpool or City got to play for?
In a soulless neutral stadium, against a team fighting to stay up? I'd fancy our chances.

The rest of the games will be largely meaningless to our opponents, with the exception of Norwich and Leicester.
Two tough away games, that will now be played at neutral venues.

Personally I think we'll be alright

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Adding to what I said above, Newcastle may have the toughest run in.

They play 5 of the bottom 6 + sheffield united, City, Liverpool & Spurs.

Southampton's run in is similar

Could see them both finish on 40 pts, whilst the bottom 6 all over achieve (theoretically)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Professional sport could potentially fall under the 'if you cant work from home, you must go to work' line though. Also if PL can prove all the stuff regarding safety and testing they may get a pass. Suspect we'll know more when the finer details of the new plan thing come out.

The new guidelines say that people can play sport but only among members of their own household. I don't see how football can justify restarting while that's the guideline - that's going to give such a mixed message.

I'm desperate to get the cricket season under way but the club has to abide by the law. The cricket authorities would create a mighty row if people are allowed to play football but not cricket

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

You’re making that mistake a lot of people wanting to interpret the rules in their own way are.
If you look at all the guidance together rather than 1 bit there is no way football can be played

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
The new guidelines say that people can play sport but only among members of their own household. I don't see how football can justify restarting while that's the guideline - that's going to give such a mixed message.

I'm desperate to get the cricket season under way but the club has to abide by the law. The cricket authorities would create a mighty row if people are allowed to play football but not cricket

I’m quietly optimistic that we might get amateur cricket going in July, in theory it’s non-contact, 2m distancing is achievable with tweaks. The only issue is the ball, my idea on that is that each bowler uses a dedicated ball, all fielders wear gloves. The clubhouses/bars will likely have to remain closed but we could get the games going.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I’m quietly optimistic that we might get amateur cricket going in July, in theory it’s non-contact, 2m distancing is achievable with tweaks. The only issue is the ball, my idea on that is that each bowler uses a dedicated ball, all fielders wear gloves. The clubhouses/bars will likely have to remain closed but we could get the games going.

There are a few sports/games that could possibly start up in the next few months with less of an issue (albeit behind closed doors) such as Tennis, Snooker, Horse Racing, Golf, & Darts to name a few. I too am really missing the cricket at this time but still think it's probable we will lose the whole season this year.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
You’re making that mistake a lot of people wanting to interpret the rules in their own way are.
If you look at all the guidance together rather than 1 bit there is no way football can be played
Mistake? Interpretation is all that can be done with such weak reactive 'rules'.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Mistake? Interpretation is all that can be done with such weak reactive 'rules'.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

If *we* can't gather in a park to play football, then why should professional football be exempt re: social distancing?
That rule is clear.

Unless you have one rule for one group and another rule for another group. Saying that all medical rules/protocols
will be followed simply doesn't cut it with me. It's either all in or none in. Otherwise you have a hierarchy and Animal
Farm logic.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

The fielders wearing gloves would mean the laws changing - specifically Law 28.1

Having a ball every bowler would mean prohibitive costs for clubs - that's an extra £600 to £1000 per match, very few teams could afford that - clubs are struggling as it is

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The fielders wearing gloves would mean the laws changing - specifically Law 28.1

Having a ball every bowler would mean prohibitive costs for clubs - that's an extra £600 to £1000 per match, very few teams could afford that - clubs are struggling as it is

Perhaps the bowler could just spit on the ball and polish it in his or her crotch to wipe off any virus? Oh, wait a minute...

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Would gloves make a difference anyway? As long as everyone washed hands before and after gloves aren't going to make much of a difference it would them touching other parts of the body that would be the issue

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton

I'm very much anti the season restarting. I think its crazy they're attempting to play sports in the current environment. I was just highlighting the ambiguity of the statements plus taking into account what has happened in other countries, where professional sports haven't been treated in the same way as recreational sports. Indeed the BBC and Telegraph are this morning reporting that there are separate plans for 'elite athletes' with the Telegraph going as far as saying govt to give green light to the plans of a June restart. I still think the plans are pie in the sky, however where there's a will (in this case billions of £££), there's often a way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here