Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
If pubs, cafes and hairdressers cannot resume until July at the earliest, with social distancing, how can we justify a contact sport like football in June?
Does it take a big named player being hospitalized in intensive care before they take notice?

Footballers look like they are going to be made a 'special case' - as much as I miss all live sport, they shouldn't be. No problem with the season resuming but only at the right time.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If pubs, cafes and hairdressers cannot resume until July at the earliest, with social distancing, how can we justify a contact sport like football in June?
Does it take a big named player being hospitalized in intensive care before they take notice?

Has anyone specifically said pubs can open in July? I know they have made reference to the hospitality sector but not sure that necessarily includes Pubs!

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I have a flawless plan to reduce costs...

41zWMNabbxL._SX355_.jpg

A mate turned up for tennis in Eastbourne last summer with these poncey pink monogrammed balls that had cost him £5 each online. A couple of shots into the warm-up two had gone over the perimeter fencing forever lost in dense woodland :lolol:

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think this one is going to run and run. If clubs are railroaded into finishing the season then I can see the players themselves rebelling against it, if they think that they are being singled out to play compared with other sports. I doubt the EPL will change their view if the Govt does give them the green light to resume in June. It's a right mess and that's before the neutral venue issue is taken into account.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Has anyone specifically said pubs can open in July? I know they have made reference to the hospitality sector but not sure that necessarily includes Pubs!

It doesn't and will be under very specific criteria

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

He said some hospitality may open in July. Restaurants included in that. As most pubs do food these days, that will something we will look at, obviously with number/table restrictions in place.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
I’m quietly optimistic that we might get amateur cricket going in July, in theory it’s non-contact, 2m distancing is achievable with tweaks. The only issue is the ball, my idea on that is that each bowler uses a dedicated ball, all fielders wear gloves. The clubhouses/bars will likely have to remain closed but we could get the games going.

wicketkeeping might be an issue and 2m slip fielding could be tricky☠

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Tricky one as under 40s there is minumal risk. Less than 200 deaths age 20 to 39 country wide really is minisuclar figures and when you consider that many have underlying health issues which footballers generally dont have.

Considering much of the UK is going back to work in busy trains etc , they should be able to find a safe very low risk solution really.

We will see

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Club/village cricket matches between teams of adults still seem a long way off. Definitely not in June and very unlikely in July.

Obviously can't rule out August, September and October at this stage though.

Our club will be opening up our net facility from Wednesday to be booked for use by small groups from the same household. Some of the family combos will be able to have quite a decent net session but most common scenario will be Dad + Son/Daughter fun.

I expect the next steps of relaxation to come steadily through June, July & August with gradual progression through allowable forms of practice into matches. It would/will be a nice throwback to be playing village cricket with a full programme in September and early October again.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Tricky one as under 40s there is minumal risk. Less than 200 deaths age 20 to 39 country wide really is minisuclar figures and when you consider that many have underlying health issues which footballers generally dont have.

Considering much of the UK is going back to work in busy trains etc , they should be able to find a safe very low risk solution really.

We will see

I wonder how many of the 30000 deaths have happened because the virus was passed to them by under 40s....

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I wonder how many of the 30000 deaths have happened because the virus was passed to them by under 40s....

Not sure the risk be so much greater playing on a pitch with 22 players that all been tested numerous times that week.

Average worker on a bus prob encounters 30 people that morning alone

Context for it for me. Happy to not see it come back yet but think the reality is its can be made safe in the scheme of things

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not sure the risk be so much greater playing on a pitch with 22 players that all been tested numerous times that week.

Average worker on a bus prob encounters 30 people that morning alone

Context for it for me. Happy to not see it come back yet but think the reality is its can be made safe in the scheme of things

Testing is what will make the difference. If all the players on the pitch have been tested, then there is no risk to health, no reason why you can't have walls for free kicks and do all the stuff you would in a normal game.

It doesn't sit easy to me with the lack of testing elsewhere in society and the NHS and care homes should obviously have first dibs. However, I think if some good can come out of it, it's that the general public can see first hand just what can be achieved with widespread testing and start demanding it from their MP's who will hopefully then start to get some pressure on our hapless government to catch up with other nations on this.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Some of the parks pitches my evening league club use, are such (heavy shrubbery, at both straight boundaries) that we regularly lose 2 or 3 balls during a game. And regularly use 6 bowlers...

That’s a LOT of balls, you’d need!

Yeah, we lose a lot of balls too. I always take two new balls to every game (and a battered old one for when the opposition is bowling :) )

At junior level it's not unknown to use eight to ten bowlers

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Testing is what will make the difference. If all the players on the pitch have been tested, then there is no risk to health, no reason why you can't have walls for free kicks and do all the stuff you would in a normal game.

It doesn't sit easy to me with the lack of testing elsewhere in society and the NHS and care homes should obviously have first dibs. However, I think if some good can come out of it, it's that the general public can see first hand just what can be achieved with widespread testing and start demanding it from their MP's who will hopefully then start to get some pressure on our hapless government to catch up with other nations on this.

I disagree. Testing is not 100 % reliable. Some negative testing is unreliable. Also you would need to be testing every day to ensure players did not pick up the virus after their last test. What about the hundreds of back room staff needed to organize a match even if played behind closed doors ? Testing is not the panacea you think.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here