Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The fielders wearing gloves would mean the laws changing - specifically Law 28.1

Having a ball every bowler would mean prohibitive costs for clubs - that's an extra £600 to £1000 per match, very few teams could afford that - clubs are struggling as it is

Can't we turn a sneaky blind eye to 28.1 if it's a club game?

Also, the ball could be cleaned and dried at the end of every over. Might influence how it behaves a bit, but it will still be a game of cricket.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
The new guidelines say that people can play sport but only among members of their own household. I don't see how football can justify restarting while that's the guideline - that's going to give such a mixed message.

I'm desperate to get the cricket season under way but the club has to abide by the law. The cricket authorities would create a mighty row if people are allowed to play football but not cricket

I guess it would depend on the rules not being something like 'you cannot play sport unless you can provide all the necessary testing etc, which I doubt a professional cricket club could afford. The whole thing reeks IMO. I am missing cricket way more than football, both playing and watching, but am pretty doubtful we'll get anything meaningful in.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
If *we* can't gather in a park to play football, then why should professional football be exempt re: social distancing?
That rule is clear.

Unless you have one rule for one group and another rule for another group. Saying that all medical rules/protocols
will be followed simply doesn't cut it with me. It's either all in or none in. Otherwise you have a hierarchy and Animal
Farm logic.

Totally agree. If they allow football (with such close contact) to resume then all other sports would have to be allowed to recommence too, and presumably social distancing will be effectively ended. As you say, you can't have one rule for footballers and a different one for everyone else (sportsmen or women and joe public).

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Based on the briefings Government are giving to the press it looks like they are heading towards giving approval to the Prem June re-start.

Also Sports to get an exemption to the 14 day quarantine rule for arrival into the UK which would have been a problem for Champions League / Europa League games and F1.

Looks like there is a good chance it will all be in place by June. :whistle:

naf1.jpg

naf2.jpg

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
The fielders wearing gloves would mean the laws changing - specifically Law 28.1

Having a ball every bowler would mean prohibitive costs for clubs - that's an extra £600 to £1000 per match, very few teams could afford that - clubs are struggling as it is

Not if each bowler keeps their own ball all season. Yes, that means that late season games would be played using older balls, but that’s a small price to pay in the scheme of things.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Based on the briefings Government are giving to the press it looks like they are heading towards giving approval to the Prem June re-start.

Also Sports to get an exemption to the 14 day quarantine rule for arrival into the UK which would have been a problem for Champions League / Europa League games and F1.

View attachment 123450

View attachment 123451

It’s not just the F1 drivers and football teams it’s the entire back up and support team as well

Utter madness

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

View attachment 123450

View attachment 123451

"up to eight clubs arguing against neutral venues"

And we're the bad boys? :nono:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
"up to eight clubs arguing against neutral venues"

And we're the bad boys? :nono:
Yeah. We're the ones who fake coronavirus tests because we don't want to get relegated.

*Looks towards Leeds and Liverpool and rolls eyes*

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not if each bowler keeps their own ball all season. Yes, that means that late season games would be played using older balls, but that’s a small price to pay in the scheme of things.

Ha, I can't trust any of our lot to turn up with the correct kit - there's always someone who forgets something. The chances of them remembering balls as well is minimal.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
To be fair, all arrivals from Ireland and France also being exempted from quarantine, and more exemptions to emerge I'm sure- if not initially then over time. E.g. Trump exempted UK from their initial travel ban so I expect a reciprocal arrangement between USA and UK highly likely.

In this context the small numbers travelling for sporting events will not be out of place.

Yoda

English & European
Yeah. We're the ones who fake coronavirus tests because we don't want to get relegated.

*Looks towards Leeds and Liverpool and rolls eyes*

A bit like one report using the "We're against anything if we get relegated" I saw over the weekend. Showed how much he didn't know what he was talking about when they included all the mathematical permutations that could be applied in our argument.

Yet every one that has been mentioned would see us safe. So if we're against all ways of finishing the season that include relegation why aren't we backing this one?

Oh yes! That's right, we would like to see the season completed and as fairly as possible.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
To be fair, all arrivals from Ireland and France also being exempted from quarantine, and more exemptions to emerge I'm sure- if not initially then over time. E.g. Trump exempted UK from their initial travel ban so I expect a reciprocal arrangement between USA and UK highly likely.

In this context the small numbers travelling for sporting events will not be out of place.

Hmm, The US are the one country doing worse than us. What would be the justification for granting the US an exemption? Ah yes, we need a trade deal

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Hmm, The US are the one country doing worse than us. What would be the justification for granting the US an exemption? Ah yes, we need a trade deal

Thankfully for the UK, the bargaining power of the US has somewhat diminished in future trade negotiations.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
A bit like one report using the "We're against anything if we get relegated" I saw over the weekend. Showed how much he didn't know what he was talking about when they included all the mathematical permutations that could be applied in our argument.

Yet every one that has been mentioned would see us safe. So if we're against all ways of finishing the season that include relegation why aren't we backing this one?

Oh yes! That's right, we would like to see the season completed and as fairly as possible.

We'd LOVE an arrangement to end the season that involved us staying up. But if you think the criticism we're getting now is bad...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ha, I can't trust any of our lot to turn up with the correct kit - there's always someone who forgets something. The chances of them remembering balls as well is minimal.

Some of the parks pitches my evening league club use, are such (heavy shrubbery, at both straight boundaries) that we regularly lose 2 or 3 balls during a game. And regularly use 6 bowlers...

That’s a LOT of balls, you’d need!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
If pubs, cafes and hairdressers cannot resume until July at the earliest, with social distancing, how can we justify a contact sport like football in June?
Does it take a big named player being hospitalized in intensive care before they take notice?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here