Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Me neither, really. But whenever a "thing" happens, eg VE Day street parties, we all seem to be saying something like "let's see how things look in 2-3 weeks" due to what seems to be the accepted lag in the whole infected -> ill -> hospitalised sequence.

The incubation period is apparently anywhere between 1 and 14 days. The most common time is day 5.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Me neither, really. But whenever a "thing" happens, eg VE Day street parties, we all seem to be saying something like "let's see how things look in 2-3 weeks" due to what seems to be the accepted lag in the whole infected -> ill -> hospitalised sequence.

The incubation period is apparently anywhere between 1 and 14 days. The most common time is day 5.

The virus testing is much more available than it was in March

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This headlong rush into restarting the 2019/20 season is head-mental. As is the premise that the 2020/21 season will just start up all shiny and new. Never gonna happen

Just can't believe they are on the verge of agreeing a restart with all that is going on and the level of the human tragedy

Football is this country is just so broken, just money, money, money. Not sure if I even can watch it, just feels wrong...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The risk level in June is likely to be similar to that in July, August, September etc.

So it is difficult to see logical argument for football not re-starting in June but then starting for the new season in August.

I think June re-start will be ok. I accept other people do not. But if not June, I do not see when logically you would condone a re-start given that risk levels may be similar for the foreseeable future.

The idea that June is not OK but August will be for the new season does not seem to hold up.

Well this simply doesn’t have to be the case, countries that have got this under control can see dramatic difference to infection rates week to week, let alone month to month. Look at any epidemic graph and it can exponentially decrease as it did rise, so June could be massively different in terms of risk compared to September - especially if testing, tracking and tracing is up to scratch.

That isn’t to say football should start again.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just can't believe they are on the verge of agreeing a restart with all that is going on and the level of the human tragedy

Football is this country is just so broken, just money, money, money. Not sure if I even can watch it, just feels wrong...

No one will be forcing you so nothing to worry about there :)
.....football has been a money making industry for quite a long while now dont you think? Nothings changed there....its an industry that is looking to survive just like any other..just gets more attention than any other....I’d welcome any sport right now as a distraction from day to day life ..but it wont stop me forgetting what’s going on in the world and trying to do my bit...should i stop watching any comedy at the mo? As long as they can find a way to make it safe (thats open to interpretation) then I’m for it in principal....but I accept that a lot of people won’t be agreeing ..but then that goes for quite a bit right now

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Last edited:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
The cases in which leagues have been curtailed all came about from directives from their governments saying they couldn't play. Given the noises coming out of number10 today, it seems unlikely that these sort of messages will come here, in the short term anyway. I suspect, as ever, they're hoping football makes its own mind up so not to be painted as the bad guy. Its a sort of negative stand off between the league and the govt.

But football will have to 'make it's own mind up' based on current Government guidance.

At the moment you can't meet up with someone from outside of your own household, I'm pretty certain that won't change in this 3 week period.

So PL footballers won't be able to train together for the next 3 weeks at least

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
But football will have to 'make it's own mind up' based on current Government guidance.

At the moment you can't meet up with someone from outside of your own household, I'm pretty certain that won't change in this 3 week period.

So PL footballers won't be able to train together for the next 3 weeks at least

They'd be given special dispensation like key workers.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
They'd be given special dispensation like key workers.

If you're going to give footballers key worker dispensation then I suppose you'd have to give it to Strictly contenders as well because there will be people who'd like to see them too.

If not, can someone please justify giving it to one group and no other?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If you're going to give footballers key worker dispensation then I suppose you'd have to give it to Strictly contenders as well because there will be people who'd like to see them too.

If not, can someone please justify giving it to one group and no other?
I totally agree. The whole thing is a farce.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Didn't really have an opinion on nulling and voiding the season until today, but am now strongly in the pro camp after seeing some of the shit Leeds, Liverpool and Sheff Utd fans have been spouting on Twitter. Not like the former two to be ignorant, '**** everyone but us' types at all.

Didn't really have an opinion on nulling and voiding the season until today, but am now strongly in the pro camp after seeing some of the shit Leeds, Liverpool and Sheff Utd fans have been spouting on Twitter. Not like the former two to be ignorant, '**** everyone but us' types at all.

Having listened to Boris I really can’t see the football season finishing any time soon

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Having listened to Boris I really can’t see the football season finishing any time soon

Yep, agreed
There seems to be little room for the EPL to manoeuvre within the new guidelines

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Agree. The timeline seems to be suggesting the hospitality/ entertainment sector start date is 1st July at the earliest. Any start in June would be a huge call by the EPL.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 19.41.32.png

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

"We now need to stress that anyone who can’t work from home, for instance those in construction or manufacturing, should be actively encouraged to go to work.

"And we want it to be safe for you to get to work. So you should avoid public transport if at all possible – because we must and will maintain social distancing, and capacity will therefore be limited.

"So work from home if you can, but you should go to work if you can’t work from home.

"And to ensure you are safe at work we have been working to establish new guidance for employers to make workplaces COVID-secure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here