Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Sky reporting a third Brighton player has tested positive. I doubt our club will be the only one to have players test positive. If it happens once all players report back for full training then we will see the same as happened in Germany and the whole squads having to isolate. I really cannot see how the season will be completed within UEFA timelines, if it even restarts now.

I'm sure as we are the nations bad guys we'll be accused of making it up to avoid relegation by the press and Burnley fans.

Already being accused of fake tests

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
What is also in the press is what the EPL are saying will happen if they decide to cancel the season. The relegation of Bournemouth, Norwich and Aston Villa. They are therefore threatening these clubs with this default relegation if they aren't prepared to go along with 'project restart'.
Therefore the move for resumption in June is having a massive PR push. This is even before Boris's briefing this evening.
I'm beginning to think that the decision to restart needs direct Government guidance. If they say it can proceed, then fair enough, we need to look at logistics.
If not, then the season needs scrapping.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Great to see the amount of piss boiling on twitter going on

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
The risk level in June is likely to be similar to that in July, August, September etc.

So it is difficult to see logical argument for football not re-starting in June but then starting for the new season in August.

I think June re-start will be ok. I accept other people do not. But if not June, I do not see when logically you would condone a re-start given that risk levels may be similar for the foreseeable future.

The idea that June is not OK but August will be for the new season does not seem to hold up.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
As highlighted by Jobi McAnuff, do we not think the fact that 35% of the players in the premier league are currently at higher risk from the virus will be the thing that finally knocks this ridiculous ‘Project Restart’ on the head?

It’s ridiculous, all efforts should now be concentrated on how this season is ended - void, points per game, half way etc and trying to find a way to start next season safely and fairly whenever it is sensible to do so.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The rest of the world is looking on in horror at our rising death toll, and we’re still discussing restarting the football season in a month. :mad:

We simply haven’t dealt with the virus as the likes of Denmark, Germany have. The only thing we’ve become immune to is 300+ people dying everyday.

But let’s concentrate on neutral venues and a new message. I’m increasingly perplexed about what is going on. :shrug:

This headlong rush into restarting the 2019/20 season is head-mental. As is the premise that the 2020/21 season will just start up all shiny and new. Never gonna happen

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So another Brighton player tests positive for Covid-19, the life threatening illness

The response ..... apparently we’ve made it up to avoid relegation.

Unbelievable

I'm quite used to the idea there are large numbers of people content to believe whatever suits their narrative. It has always been thus. Back in the 70s folk could wax lyrical about intelligence, unwillingness to fit in, having all-night parties, and taking 'our women' for hours in order to justify repatriation of 'the coloureds'.

The worry for me is when these ***** are driving the narrative, and the decision-makers, intent on saving their own necks by whatever means, are factoring in the crackpottery desires when planning this great release into sunny uplands, it doesn't bode well. I know it is only small beer in the great scheme, but I don't want to see the Albion relegated after a home game played at Villa Park. That would be a football abomination.

If anyone can see any justification for a new slogan based of the UK's deaths per 100K graph I'd be interested in learning of the new maths they have invented.

UK death.PNG

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
What is also in the press is what the EPL are saying will happen if they decide to cancel the season. The relegation of Bournemouth, Norwich and Aston Villa. They are therefore threatening these clubs with this default relegation if they aren't prepared to go along with 'project restart'. .

I knew I should have trained to be a lawyer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The risk level in June is likely to be similar to that in July, August, September etc.

So it is difficult to see logical argument for football not re-starting in June but then starting for the new season in August.

I think June re-start will be ok. I accept other people do not. But if not June, I do not see when logically you would condone a re-start given that risk levels may be similar for the foreseeable future.

The idea that June is not OK but August will be for the new season does not seem to hold up.

Really? Where did you get that from? I have been studying the Johns Hopkins data for weeks and I can't tell you what the 'risk' (or death?) level will be in the summer. Yes, to my eye, the UK and US are in trouble, with little sign of a downturn. But if this doesn't change it doesn't mean we can just say 'ah, fuggit, people will die, get used to it, let's Pardeee!'. If it does change (as I expect it will, but who knows how quickly?) then we must wait.

Yes, this is grim but it is not the Day of the Triffids. There is no justification for suicidal stupidity. I agree that the difference between June and August isn't yet clear, but that doesn't justify going for June. Although, given we are a nation that once tested for witchcraft by throwing a woman into a pond and if she failed to drown she was condemned as a witch and burned, your logic and reasoning are not unexceptional.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

We need to make a decision about June now.

We can look at a bit more data before deciding about August.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I'm quite used to the idea there are large numbers of people content to believe whatever suits their narrative. It has always been thus. Back in the 70s folk could wax lyrical about intelligence, unwillingness to fit in, having all-night parties, and taking 'our women' for hours in order to justify repatriation of 'the coloureds'.

The worry for me is when these ***** are driving the narrative, and the decision-makers, intent on saving their own necks by whatever means, are factoring in the crackpottery desires when planning this great release into sunny uplands, it doesn't bode well. I know it is only small beer in the great scheme, but I don't want to see the Albion relegated after a home game played at Villa Park. That would be a football abomination.

If anyone can see any justification for a new slogan based of the UK's deaths per 100K graph I'd be interested in learning of the new maths they have invented.

View attachment 123389

Like I has said previously the FA And PL have there fingers in ears and head in the sand repeating la,la,la,la,la being pushed by the top 6 to finish the season. Nothing else matters

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
A lot of difference between starting in June and September. Every chance deaths and new infections will be lower

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The Athletic :

"while it is also the case that lower Premier League clubs are seeking legal advice in challenging the plan to finish season at neutral venues."

Pure and wild speculation : The Albion will have consulted lawyers.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
We are clearly being set up as scapegoats because Barber dared to speak out about reservations that make perfect sense

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Germany tip-toeing towards a second peak from Guardian:

View attachment 123399

Not sure that makes much sense. Given the general timeline from becoming infected to showing symptoms and, presumably being tested to show a new infection, the upward trend must have started pre-lockdown, although it may well be accelerating now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here