Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The German Paper Der Spiegel is questioning whether it is the beginning of the end. They point out that already the playing field is not level and now is extremely unfair. Dresden now have to play two games behind most teams, and then cram in two extra games. They are in a tight relegation battle. They are also denied two weeks of training together and will have to resume without proper practise. They play some of the teams hoping for promotion as well. It only needs one or two more clubs to be similarly affected and there would be complete chaos. The Bundesliga probably will be abandoned.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just another thing to throw into the mix. Haven't heard any news about the Championship plans for finishing the season. Seems there is some that want a restart and some want points per game to decide.

If the EPL unilaterally steam on and finish the season but the EFL don't, what happens then about relegation? If the EFL finish on points per game, do they have any moral right to promotion to the EPL? Already rumours circulating that league One and Two will not restart.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The striking problem is a failure to build a Europe wide consensus. UEFA should have come together on this rather than issuing deadlines and letting nations go their own way.

I think the Germans may be okay, but a singular incident like this sets up an uneven playing field.

Trouble is, until there is a vaccine the same problems will return again and again whether we start now or in August. There is a process of denial here.

My own view would have been for all seasons Europe wide to be suspended and resumed where they were at a later date. With consensus there would have been no pressure or debate on the ups and downs.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My own view would have been for all seasons Europe wide to be suspended and resumed where they were at a later date. With consensus there would have been no pressure or debate on the ups and downs.

That would be my preference.

If that entails some players coming and going, so be it, there is no perfect solution.

It would stop most of the self interest politicking of all the clubs, with everyone including ex-players of affected clubs put their two pennies worth in to the media.

But sadly a complete non starter. With every club across Europe having next to no income, until covid is beaten with a vaccine, half would go bust.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
The German Paper Der Spiegel is questioning whether it is the beginning of the end. They point out that already the playing field is not level and now is extremely unfair. Dresden now have to play two games behind most teams, and then cram in two extra games. They are in a tight relegation battle. They are also denied two weeks of training together and will have to resume without proper practise. They play some of the teams hoping for promotion as well. It only needs one or two more clubs to be similarly affected and there would be complete chaos. The Bundesliga probably will be abandoned.

It's absolutely ridiculous to expect Dynamo Dresden to come back from two weeks in isolation and compete against teams that have had game time already, how the hell are they going to get back to full fitness and be playing together as a team in that time if they've been in isolation?

Their season will now be totally compromised and unjust, it could well see them relegated because their opponents will now have a big advantage when they play them.

Cancel the season and do everyone a favour Merkel.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Good article here in Di Welt. Just run the translator.

https://www.welt.de/sport/article20...itik-am-Neustart-der-Bundesliga-nimmt-zu.html

Have to say, I'm quickly moving towards the thought that this is just dumb.

An article well worth reading........particular by those who are desperate for football to start again at almost any cost.

"Players should only celebrate a goal by short elbow touching, or foot contact"...."no clapping a substitute onto the field of play"......."any supporters around at a football ground , the game will be awarded to the other team".

The above are just a few of the 'new' rules.

Laughable.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
It's absolutely ridiculous to expect Dynamo Dresden to come back from two weeks in isolation and compete against teams that have had game time already, how the hell are they going to get back to full fitness and be playing together as a team in that time if they've been in isolation?

Their season will now be totally compromised and unjust, it could well see them relegated because their opponents will now have a big advantage when they play them.

Cologne had 3 players test positive, so they isolated those 3 and continued to test the remaining players in the squad. No one else tested positive so they have continued to train.

I wonder why Dresden have chosen to isolate the whole team? Seems very strange- they must be testing all the other players so I can't see the benefit of isolating all the players who have tested negative.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Cologne had 3 players test positive, so they isolated those 3 and continued to test the remaining players in the squad. No one else tested positive so they have continued to train.

I wonder why Dresden have chosen to isolate the whole team? Seems very strange- they must be testing all the other players so I can't see the benefit of isolating all the players who have tested negative.[/QU

Positive test came after Dresdon had returned to proper training. Cologne had not started proper training

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Dresden absolutely won't be the only team that has to go into isolation too over the course of their finishing the season too. I wonder if anymore will have to before they've even kicked a ball.

This, along with all the ridiculous rules that have to be in place and the concern about fans congregating, makes the whole thing a complete farce.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I wonder why Dresden have chosen to isolate the whole team? Seems very strange- they must be testing all the other players so I can't see the benefit of isolating all the players who have tested negative.

If someone in your household tests positive then your whole household will have to isolate. It has become standard practice. It is particularly important because of the possibility of false negative test results. I don’t think that the rules that allowed Cologne to continue training will stay in place because they are simply a part of restart football at at all costs which is a dangerous agenda. I was talking the day before yesterday with a relative in Germany who says that he is very worried that Germany is heading for disaster with it’s easing lockdown measures, one of which is the Bundesliga.

Last edited:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I wonder if, at some stage, the EPL will engage with fans? Have they spoken to any fans’ groups yet? Do they actually care what fans think? We seem to be being treated like little children to be kept in the dark whilst they discuss matters with the adults (aka, Sky etc).

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Temporary rule changes stated by IFAB....

"Each team will be allowed to use a maximum of five substitutes.
To reduce disruption to the match, each team will have a maximum of three opportunities to make substitutions during the game; substitutions may also be made at half-time.
If both teams make a substitution at the same time, this will count as one of the three opportunities for each team.
Unused substitutions and opportunities are carried forward into extra time.
Where competition rules allow an additional substitution in extra time, teams will each have one additional substitution opportunity; substitutions may also be made before the start of extra time and at half-time in extra time."..............

I don't like the idea of using 5 subs. It reduces the game to the level of those Internationals where so many subs were used, it became meaningless.
NB I can remember when we only had one sub..... That was better.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Re Dresden, I believe it's also because the different states in Germany have more individualised powers and in turn have different rules. In Dresden's state their law maker has put in place the 14 day quarantine. There may be someone with better knowledge of Germany that can tell me that's wrong, however.

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
”any supporters around at a football ground , the game will be awarded to the other team".

Ok. So if a couple of dozen Albion fans were to order some Liverpool tops off the Internet, and then mill around outside the ground when we’re playing them, pretending to be Scouse, it’s three points to Brighton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Temporary rule changes stated by IFAB....

"Each team will be allowed to use a maximum of five substitutes.
To reduce disruption to the match, each team will have a maximum of three opportunities to make substitutions during the game; substitutions may also be made at half-time.
If both teams make a substitution at the same time, this will count as one of the three opportunities for each team.
Unused substitutions and opportunities are carried forward into extra time.
Where competition rules allow an additional substitution in extra time, teams will each have one additional substitution opportunity; substitutions may also be made before the start of extra time and at half-time in extra time."..............

I don't like the idea of using 5 subs. It reduces the game to the level of those Internationals where so many subs were used, it became meaningless.
NB I can remember when we only had one sub..... That was better.

All we need now is a new rule, that if the opposition has possession of the ball , the game is halted for us to bring on eleven defenders.If and when we win possession of the ball, the game is halted for us to bring on eleven attackers.

Will be perfect for the American market, perhaps.

I don't think this rule would compromise the integrity of the Premier League..

What do you think Farty- Mcfly ?

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
If someone in your household tests positive then your whole household will have to isolate. It has become standard practice. It is particularly important because of the possibility of false negative test results. I don’t think that the rules that allowed Cologne to continue training will stay in place because they are simply a part of restart football at at all costs which is a dangerous agenda. I was talking the day before yesterday with a relative in Germany who says that he is very worried that Germany is heading for disaster with it’s easing lockdown measures, one of which is the Bundesliga.

The players do not live together in a household. They work together. I understand 14 days if people live together and there is no testing available. If the rest of the players are tested daily and continue to test negative it seems OTT to keep them at home for 14 days.

Germany do have a problem with each state applying different rules. This is not an issue in England.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Ok. So if a couple of dozen Albion fans were to order some Liverpool tops off the Internet, and then mill around outside the ground when we’re playing them, pretending to be Scouse, it’s three points to Brighton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a Sheffield Utd supporting mate to a game against them at the Goldstone around 1987 ish. The police were engaging people in conversation in the North Stand to hear accents. My mate (very broad Yorkshire) put on the worst Southern accent since Dick Van Dyke but still managed to con Sussex Police’ finest.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
I took a Sheffield Utd supporting mate to a game against them at the Goldstone around 1987 ish. The police were engaging people in conversation in the North Stand to hear accents. My mate (very broad Yorkshire) put on the worst Southern accent since Dick Van Dyke but still managed to con Sussex Police’ finest.

Yeah I disagree with that sort of threat. It just encourages away fans turning up at the ground to try to get the match cancelled and awarded to their team. Any fans congregating near a ground should be dealt with for what it is- an entirely separate matter to the activities taking place within the stadium. Disperse or arrest the fans. Perfect opportunity to get the water cannons out.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I wonder if, at some stage, the EPL will engage with fans? Have they spoken to any fans’ groups yet? Do they actually care what fans think? We seem to be being treated like little children to be kept in the dark whilst they discuss matters with the adults (aka, Sky etc).

In answer to your 3 question, in order

No I doubt it
No I don’t think so
No, a big fat no, they don’t care a shit what the fans think. Sky would rather all games were played behind closed doors, then they could have games kick off at whatever time of day they wanted, in particular to suit the Asian market...

They could just add a suitable sound track, a bit like canned laughter on TV comedies, and instant atmosphere...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here