Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
There's a difference in argument between "I want the garden centres to open because it's good for the country and it will make me a profit" and "I want the garden centres to stay closed because I own B&Q and it will make me a profit". And of course I want it carried out in as fair a way as possible. At present, that appears to be with neutral grounds.

The fairest way is to have games at the home venue, behind closed doors. No argument to that but apparently it’s not deemed to be ‘safe’.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Can someone explain to me why it's not possible to play behind closed doors at the ground of the home team. Why do we need neutral grounds when half the players live all over the country, indeed world, and a neutral ground would not benefit the easing of players travelling around the country, it's an absolute shambles of a scenario. For the Burnley chap who comes on here spouting off we don't like it because it doesn't suit our agenda of avoiding relegation must be a bit ga ga if he thinks even a minority of Brighton fans care very little relegation in this unprecedented pandemic. The season should be scrapped, end of, for the safety of players, fans and everyone else connected with football. Peoples lives mean more than a game of football and we should be planning how and when we should be starting the next season not finishing this one. It's not a lot of fans concerns where or when we should be finishing this season's competition but the best way to start the next which will be under different rules conditions and access to games. I honestly, in these conditions, could give a flying one if football doesn't start until 2021 and for all those who argue about people's livelihood are at stake all the time football is not being played then I would argue that is the better of two evils in a pandemic that is not going to go away soon and will even worsen with certain restrictions being lifted.

Our friend from Burnley doesn't seem to get much of what we're trying to say. Blinkered and that's that.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There's a difference in argument between "I want the garden centres to open because it's good for the country and it will make me a profit" and "I want the garden centres to stay closed because I own B&Q and it will make me a profit". And of course I want it carried out in as fair a way as possible. At present, that appears to be with neutral grounds.

:ffsparr:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Can someone explain to me why it's not possible to play behind closed doors at the ground of the home team. Why do we need neutral grounds when half the players live all over the country, indeed world, and a neutral ground would not benefit the easing of players travelling around the country, it's an absolute shambles of a scenario. For the Burnley chap who comes on here spouting off we don't like it because it doesn't suit our agenda of avoiding relegation must be a bit ga ga if he thinks even a minority of Brighton fans care very little about relegation in this unprecedented pandemic. The season should be scrapped, end of, for the safety of players, fans and everyone else connected with football. Peoples lives mean more than a game of football and we should be planning how and when we should be starting the next season not finishing this one. It's not a lot of fans concerns where or when we should be finishing this season's competition but the best way to start the next which will be under different rules conditions and access to games. I honestly, in these conditions, could give a flying one if football doesn't start until 2021 and for all those who argue about people's livelihood are at stake all the time football is not being played then I would argue that is the better of two evils in a pandemic that is not going to go away soon and will even worsen with certain restrictions being lifted.

The premise behind neutral venues seems to be that fans of the home team will gather outside the ground even though it is behind closed doors if played at the right stadium. But the German league seem to be doing it so no idea why we can't

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Can someone explain to me why it's not possible to play behind closed doors at the ground of the home team. Why do we need neutral grounds when half the players live all over the country, indeed world, and a neutral ground would not benefit the easing of players travelling around the country, it's an absolute shambles of a scenario. For the Burnley chap who comes on here spouting off we don't like it because it doesn't suit our agenda of avoiding relegation must be a bit ga ga if he thinks even a minority of Brighton fans care very little relegation in this unprecedented pandemic. The season should be scrapped, end of, for the safety of players, fans and everyone else connected with football. Peoples lives mean more than a game of football and we should be planning how and when we should be starting the next season not finishing this one. It's not a lot of fans concerns where or when we should be finishing this season's competition but the best way to start the next which will be under different rules conditions and access to games. I honestly, in these conditions, could give a flying one if football doesn't start until 2021 and for all those who argue about people's livelihood are at stake all the time football is not being played then I would argue that is the better of two evils in a pandemic that is not going to go away soon and will even worsen with certain restrictions being lifted.
Yes, why not at home grounds, behind closed doors? Apparently certain clubs have very small cHanging rooms which don’t allow social distancing! (Turf Moor is one of them .... sorry I couldn’t resist it. ) However, what a terrible argument when 22 players will then be out on a football pitch in close proximity to one another. If social distancing is still needed how can contact sport be restarted? How can the Government ask the UK population to keep maintaining social distancing but allow contact sport to continue?
I would think that it will only be given the green light when social distancing measures are relaxed. Can’t see that for 3/4 weeks.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Not really. It's not much more than 2.5 players per squad from the 19 teams that it may apply to (Burnley players seem to be immune from such timidity; they appear to have all said there is no problem with playing). And assuming that all the players who don't want to play will agree to go on furlough or take furlough equivalent wages, then it's a useful cost saving for their clubs.

Yes, I know footballers are very important people who should be expected to work like the rest of society. But above all, they should know that if they don't work, they don't get paid footballer money. They get paid furlough money.

That's because they are safe as they all cover their mouths, with their hands...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can someone explain to me why it's not possible to play behind closed doors at the ground of the home team. .

Sure. Because if Brighton play Liverpool then the Amex area will be awash with Brighton thickies who refuse to be told, all prancing about on the concourse, and the police won't be allowed to use water cannon and tazers because that would be a violation of human rights, not to mention a danger to the police from the hot virus-laden breath of the thickies.

On the other hand if Brighton are forced to play Liverpool at Villa Park then the Brighton thickies will all stay at home.

Simple!

(And of course the Liverpool thicky fans won't be travelling to the Amex or Villa park, even if it is a title winning game, because nobody would travel half way across the country just to mill around outside a football stadium. That would just be stupid.)

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The premise behind neutral venues seems to be that fans of the home team will gather outside the ground even though it is behind closed doors if played at the right stadium. But the German league seem to be doing it so no idea why we can't

Because the German organise everything so well*.

Whereas we are just a shower of shit who can't be trusted**

" Racial stereotype
**Fact

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Burnley need to season to continue, if not they will not receive full tv revenue, and may have to pay some money back, if this happens they will need to go into administration. Burnley were banking on a European place this season to reduced the crippling debts owed and not face a points deduction next season.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
https://theswindonian.co.uk/sport/e...will-see-town-promoted-as-champions-expected/

Local news is reporting leagues one and two will possibly be scrapped next week, true or not don’t shoot the messenger.

With Swindon given the title

That will create a nice precedent for the Premier League. I can see the Government saying if it’s good enough for Leagues 1 and 2, why should the higher divisions risk public health by finishing their seasons.
As others on this thread have said, we can then concentrate on devising rules for next season that will be applied consistently for every game played.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Sure. Because if Brighton play Liverpool then the Amex area will be awash with Brighton thickies who refuse to be told, all prancing about on the concourse, and the police won't be allowed to use water cannon and tazers because that would be a violation of human rights, not to mention a danger to the police from the hot virus-laden breath of the thickies.

On the other hand if Brighton are forced to play Liverpool at Villa Park then the Brighton thickies will all stay at home.

Simple!

(And of course the Liverpool thicky fans won't be travelling to the Amex or Villa park, even if it is a title winning game, because nobody would travel half way across the country just to mill around outside a football stadium. That would just be stupid.)
So Liverpool have one game to win the premier, it's played at the Amex, no Liverpool fans are going to try to turn up, rubbish.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Burnley need to season to continue, if not they will not receive full tv revenue, and may have to pay some money back, if this happens they will need to go into administration. Burnley were banking on a European place this season to reduced the crippling debts owed and not face a points deduction next season.

Seriously?

With all the TV money and a cheap squad, how the hell are they in financial trouble?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So Liverpool have one game to win the premier, it's played at the Amex, no Liverpool fans are going to try to turn up, rubbish.

Don't be a tit. I was being facetious.

If Liverpool fans want to travel to an away stadium to stand outside, it doesn't matter if that away stadium is the one pencilled in, or some other 'neutral' stadium assigned by the EPL potato-heads.

I am against neutral stadia, in part for the obviously reason you painstakingly but needlessly pointed out above. And part because I hate daft initiatives created by cretins showing off during a Teams meeting. And I have seen plenty of that over the last few weeks :facepalm:

(I'd have been gentler if you hadn't described my facetious comment as 'rubbish' :cheers:)

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
As at 2019 Burnley has £41m in the bank and hardly any debts. We're better prepared than most to survive without funds, but of course we don't have a rich (football-standard rich, that is) chairman who can help out, so an early end to the season would pretty much leave us on breadline again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Where do you get all that from? One of the smallest wage bills in the EPL, but awash with all the syrupy goodness of the TV money. They were relegated a few seasons ago and bounced back without any fuss. They nerly dropped into the conference 20 odd years ago but now they are, as far as I can see, an extremely well run club. :shrug:

Are you a professional nitwit or have you been on the sauce? ???

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If only we could all do it for the good of the game like your lot.

We all want the league to continue as if coronavirus did not exist. That isn't one of the options on the table. It's a matter of finding the least worst option for the game, and an indefinite suspension because Brighton and other teams are scared of losing, is not on my list of good options.

The problem is that your version of 'least worst' drives a coach and horses through any remaining integrity in this league season.

It is simply not 'least worst' and even if is, then it is still so bad that we might as well not bother.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Ah, the agenda now seems clear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here