Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The Australian Rugby League has gone into 2 weeks isolation preparatory to starting up and the New Zealand Warriors, who play in that league, have flown in and are stopping in Australia (no home visits) for five months rather than miss it. 20% of the season has gone, TV money is 20% less, and the players have agreed a 20% across the board pay cut. Why can't we have more of that sort of attitude among English footballers?

(And they are playing on neutral grounds.)

You are comparing apples with pears. Australia do not currently have a problem with coronavirus nor a death toll in excess of 30,000 people. You would not be here arguing about neutral venues if Burnley were in our or even moreso Villa's position as it disadvantages our teams as it would yours.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
The Australian Rugby League has gone into 2 weeks isolation preparatory to starting up and the New Zealand Warriors, who play in that league, have flown in and are stopping in Australia (no home visits) for five months rather than miss it. 20% of the season has gone, TV money is 20% less, and the players have agreed a 20% across the board pay cut. Why can't we have more of that sort of attitude among English footballers?

Don’t give a rats arse about egg chasing in some far flung land..

NEXT !!!!

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
You are comparing apples with pears. Australia do not currently have a problem with coronavirus nor a death toll in excess of 30,000 people. You would not be here arguing about neutral venues if Burnley were in our or even moreso Villa's position as it disadvantages our teams as it would yours.
It can't disadvantage everybody. Either it's the same for everyone, or else there are winners and losers by it. Why would Brighton lose out compared with Villa, Watford, Norwich, West Ham, Bournemouth?

There's only two logical approaches to this IMO. Either we carry on as soon as humanly possible, or else we give it up for the duration and start again when it's safe. (Players' wages suspended, of course.) After a vaccine is found, presumably. There's no point giving up just for this season because of all the problems and then starting up next season when the same problems are still there.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It can't disadvantage everybody. Either it's the same for everyone, or else there are winners and losers by it. Why would Brighton lose out compared with Villa, Watford, Norwich, West Ham, Bournemouth?

This has been explained to you on this thread MANY MANY times. What is so hard to comprehend about the unfair nature of neutral venues when one (Albion and Villa) has more home matches from the remaining 9 and 10 games. We have 5 and Villa 6. It really isn't so difficult. It is all about the money for you lot.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

There's only two logical approaches to this IMO. Either we carry on as soon as humanly possible, or else we give it up for the duration and start again when it's safe. (Players' wages suspended, of course.) After a vaccine is found, presumably. There's no point giving up just for this season because of all the problems and then starting up next season when the same problems are still there.

Humanly possible is to allow games at the correct places, there's no justification not to allow. Put in regulations that any club who's supporters break the rules are deducted points. Currently it's showing **** all respect to the majority of clubs to please those that have been unable to keep in check their supporters. Demonising the majority of people again for the mindless few. Wonder where I've seen that before.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
This has been explained to you on this thread MANY MANY times. What is so hard to comprehend about the unfair nature of neutral venues when one (Albion and Villa) has more home matches from the remaining 9 and 10 games. We have 5 and Villa 6. It really isn't so difficult. It is all about the money for you lot.

If only we could all do it for the good of the game like your lot.

We all want the league to continue as if coronavirus did not exist. That isn't one of the options on the table. It's a matter of finding the least worst option for the game, and an indefinite suspension because Brighton and other teams are scared of losing, is not on my list of good options.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Humanly possible is to allow games at the correct places, there's no justification not to allow. Put in regulations that any club who's supporters break the rules are deducted points. Currently it's showing **** all respect to the majority of clubs to please those that have been unable to keep in check their supporters. Demonising the majority of people again for the mindless few. Wonder where I've seen that before.
I agree. But that's the ogvernment's fault and there's not a lot the PL can do about it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

We all want the league to continue as if coronavirus did not exist. That isn't one of the options on the table. It's a matter of finding the least worst option for the game, and an indefinite suspension because Brighton and other teams are scared of losing, is not on my list of good options.

Who said we are trying for the good of the game? You obviously have a vested interest as you would go to the wall. Be honest about it, that is why you don't care about it being carried out in as fair way as possible. Nevermind.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Its lovely being continually insulted by a random away fan on an Albion message board.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

Who doesn’t want sport to start again, but it has to be done safely and fairly. How many deaths in Australia compared with the UK?
However, the fairness issue is one that all of the teams at the bottom have allegedly raised (three openly).
Let’s consider the lengths we have gone to to get fairness of refereeing decisions and all the tribulations caused by VAR, and yet you are proposing that teams should get on with it and let home advantage just go (Aston Villa, 6 out of 10 games ‘at home). It just comes across as an option to get the season done at all costs and not consider fairness. Too many teams are now openly coming out and challenging neutral grounds. Something there I would suggest about how this is generally viewed by clubs.
In terms of your comments about players, when they are told it is safe to play then they, like us all, will have to get back to work.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

We can by allowing the fixtures to continue where they should be, not hard to understand, or perhaps it is.

Tell me why that can't be an option?

If you bring the police into it, forget it, they hardly have a good track record when it comes to policing football events.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Who doesn’t want sport to start again, but it has to be done safely and fairly. How many deaths in Australia compared with the UK?
However, the fairness issue is one that all of the teams at the bottom have allegedly raised (three openly).
Let’s consider the lengths we have gone to to get fairness of refereeing decisions and all the tribulations caused by VAR, and yet you are proposing that teams should get on with it and let home advantage just go (Aston Villa, 6 out of 10 games ‘at home). It just comes across as an option to get the season done at all costs and not consider fairness. Too many teams are now openly coming out and challenging neutral grounds. Something there I would suggest about how this is generally viewed by clubs.
In terms of your comments about players, when they are told it is safe to play then they, like us all, will have to get back to work.

He doesn't care as it doesn't affect Burnley.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I agree. But that's the ogvernment's fault and there's not a lot the PL can do about it.

So start blaming the government then, not us.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
We can by allowing the fixtures to continue where they should be, not hard to understand, or perhaps it is.

Tell me why that can't be an option?

If you bring the police into it, forget it, they hardly have a good track record when it comes to policing football events.

If the government says it can't be done, then the PL can't say we're doing it anyway. If the police say it can't be done, then the PL can't say we're doing it anyway. It doesn't make any difference whether they are right or wrong - I think they're wrong, FWIW - but if that is the way it is, then we can either get on with things or we can give up and watch German football.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Who said we are trying for the good of the game? You obviously have a vested interest as you would go to the wall. Be honest about it, that is why you don't care about it being carried out in as fair way as possible. Nevermind.

There's a difference in argument between "I want the garden centres to open because it's good for the country and it will make me a profit" and "I want the garden centres to stay closed because I own B&Q and it will make me a profit". And of course I want it carried out in as fair a way as possible. At present, that appears to be with neutral grounds.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If the government says it can't be done, then the PL can't say we're doing it anyway. If the police say it can't be done, then the PL can't say we're doing it anyway. It doesn't make any difference whether they are right or wrong - I think they're wrong, FWIW - but if that is the way it is, then we can either get on with things or we can give up and watch German football.

Then that's it, it can't be done, you're bust, never mind eh, at least you finished in the Premier League as opposed to be relegated in a farce.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

To answer your first point it’s because a couple of clubs have more home games left than away. Ourselves and Aston Villa for example. I think also Bournemouth. Stats show that more points are won at home than away. Can you imagine the season being restarted and Aston Villa being relegated by one point having forgone their home advantage in six of their remaining ten games. Would there be a legal challenge by them based on their financial loss incurred by this ‘rule change’? Circa £150m of tv income.
So what’s happening now is that clubs at the bottom and I believe many others are challenging this as a viable way forwards. Better they do that now than having to make a legal challenge at the end of the season.
I agree that a ‘least worse’ option should be explored and if all are in agreement then let’s do that, if safe, but I’m sure than neutral venues isn’t one of them.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
There's a difference in argument between "I want the garden centres to open because it's good for the country and it will make me a profit" and "I want the garden centres to stay closed because I own B&Q and it will make me a profit". And of course I want it carried out in as fair a way as possible. At present, that appears to be with neutral grounds.

To you it seems best as you want the season to finish. You clearly don't care about health and safety or teams getting relegated.

To teams down the bottom, it is clearly different. The fact you won't even acknowledge that shows you are on a wind up. If Burnley were in the bottom six, I guarantee you wouldn't be on here with your monotonous, boring posts

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Can someone explain to me why it's not possible to play behind closed doors at the ground of the home team. Why do we need neutral grounds when half the players live all over the country, indeed world, and a neutral ground would not benefit the easing of players travelling around the country, it's an absolute shambles of a scenario. For the Burnley chap who comes on here spouting off we don't like it because it doesn't suit our agenda of avoiding relegation must be a bit ga ga if he thinks even a minority of Brighton fans care very little about relegation in this unprecedented pandemic. The season should be scrapped, end of, for the safety of players, fans and everyone else connected with football. Peoples lives mean more than a game of football and we should be planning how and when we should be starting the next season not finishing this one. It's not a lot of fans concerns where or when we should be finishing this season's competition but the best way to start the next which will be under different rules conditions and access to games. I honestly, in these conditions, could give a flying one if football doesn't start until 2021 and for all those who argue about people's livelihood are at stake all the time football is not being played then I would argue that is the better of two evils in a pandemic that is not going to go away soon and will even worsen with certain restrictions being lifted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here