Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 9-12/4/21

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
No, he's miles on. It wasn't Bartley that scored. They've drawn the lines from the wrong WBA player

Ok I see.

Wow. Feel for Brom, they need every break they can get. I’m still not sure if this is the fault of VAR or the way it’s being used.

The officials using it seem to go out their way to forensically find a way to disallow goals. I’m not sure if that’s what the game needs. It should be the other way.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Southampton have been absolutely atrocious here, could be 3/4 down by now.

They will be in a minute or two.......2-0

The VAR decision is an absolute shocker, it’s disgraceful....and the attempts to ‘justify’ it only make it worse. Trying to imply there’s some equivalent of ‘umpires call’ at play ? What an absolute pile of SHIT.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
For me even with the technology there is no perfect system for VAR judging offsides. When going through footage frame by frame its difficult to be certain if the ball leaves the passing/crossing players foot on one frame or the next, or half way through frame. & if you cant be 100% certain of that how can you possibly start scrutinizing the other end of things by saying someone is offside by an inch.

The offside rule was about stopping strikers just hanging about beyond the defensive line waiting for a long ball, not all this sleeve or toe being offside. Either we scrap VAR on offside decisions & just accept that the on pitch officials will sometimes get it wrong or we at least have a system which uses VAR but allows a degree of uncertainty.... such as, thicken the lines they use in the analysis & if they're overlapping at all then you deem it as the players being in line and so its on side.

But no doubt the premier league and VAR creators will be too proud to admit defeat and persevere with it in its current shitty form.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
This is the probably the most pathetic performance I have ever seen from a PL team I think. Completely outplayed and Southampton have done absolutely NOTHING to stop it. Just playing shit from the first session and seem content. No fight etc. So frustrating. Only hope is that Southampton do what they did last week. 3-1 for me though. West Brom will close in on 17th. Thankfully they are 8 points behind us as the fat git has done a good job despite everyone writing him off on here. Wish he was down already of course as can't stand him or his football. It's funny as he does so much better with what is at his disposal compared to Moaninho though.

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
Maybe the VAR officials should just watch the SKY replays and go with what the commentators come up with

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Ok I see.

Wow. Feel for Brom, they need every break they can get. I’m still not sure if this is the fault of VAR or the way it’s being used.

The officials using it seem to go out their way to forensically find a way to disallow goals. I’m not sure if that’s what the game needs. It should be the other way.

The 'definitive angle' explanation is bollocks. Ultimately the problem is that the referees aren't up to standard. In Europe, the PL has one of, if not the highest average age of referees, and also has the lowest amount of timeshare between officials.

Basically, the league is full of a small pool of incompetent, mostly old officials, and they are the only ones being given games. VAR doesn't even come into the equation, save for being another avenue for English officials to demonstrate their inadequacy. I actually don't blame the refs themselves though. As poor as they've performed, there are some talented officials in the ranks, particularly some of the younger ones, and there's a few who should've retired years ago but haven't because the people at the top are so spineless. They've just been totally let down by the appalling leadership, coaching and guidance from the top, and the confidence of our referees is totally shot to pieces as a result, which results in wobbly decision making. Mike Riley is an absolute clown, the PGMOL needs a total overhaul.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm sure the Premier League bigwigs must be hoping Fulham, WBA and Sheff Utd go down with clear blue water between them and the 17 above them, because if there is anything riding on those final round of matches with VAR as it is we could see the biggest relegation shit storm since the Carlos Tevez affair 14 years ago.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
West Brom only 2 points behind Fulham with a game in hand. They are actually in a better position to escape relegation than them. The next 2 games for them are away to Leicester and Villa. Both are winnable based on the latest performances.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
CLEAR & OBVIOUS ERROR.

This principle has been completely forgotten/overlooked. Goal Line Technology is (almost) infallible in this respect and should have VAR to back it up when C&O errors occur e.g. Sheff U/Villa. Everything else has to be applied with the parameters set that the on field decision stands unless there is a WHOPPING ****ING ERROR i.e. if you have to look twice or reinterpret any decision then it is NOT clear & obvious - on field stands. SORTED you FIFA/UEFA/WHOEVER imbecilic twats. VAR is just a camera - everything else is human interpretation for a second time... if you allow it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Stop panicking everyone ;) - good result, we can catch Southampton :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
‘The camera angle was inconclusive’

View attachment 135801
View attachment 135802

Not watching and understand it wasn’t the nearest WBA player who was involved but I assume VAR and the lines mean camera angle doesn’t matter? But I doubt it. Of course, the camera angle on that shot is completely inconclusive as it’s not directly in line - but assume everyone gets that? Think everyone’s assuming the yellow line is straight etc which hopefully it is...

Either way thicken up the defensive line for element of doubt - make it 10 times bigger - problem solved - so so so simple.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well deserved lead at half time but nothing for us to worry about surely? Goal diff means in effect it's 9 points. Unless we capitulate now and west Brom win 4 more on the bounce.

Exactly. If West Brom finish above us then we deserve to go down. They won't and we don't.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Well deserved lead at half time but nothing for us to worry about surely? Goal diff means in effect it's 9 points. Unless we capitulate now and west Brom win 4 more on the bounce.

Spot on. And that's not even taking into account that one of Fulham or Newcastle would also have to overtake us

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
CLEAR & OBVIOUS ERROR.

This principle has been completely forgotten/overlooked. Goal Line Technology is (almost) infallible in this respect and should have VAR to back it up when C&O errors occur e.g. Sheff U/Villa. Everything else has to be applied with the parameters set that the on field decision stands unless there is a WHOPPING ****ING ERROR i.e. if you have to look twice or reinterpret any decision then it is NOT clear & obvious - on field stands. SORTED you FIFA/UEFA/WHOEVER imbecilic twats. VAR is just a camera - everything else is human interpretation for a second time... if you allow it.

Not even that. VAR is a qualified referee watching multiple replays who happens to be clueless

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not watching and understand it wasn’t the nearest WBA player who was involved but I assume VAR and the lines mean camera angle doesn’t matter? But I doubt it. Of course, the camera angle on that shot is completely inconclusive as it’s not directly in line - but assume everyone gets that? Think everyone’s assuming the yellow line is straight etc which hopefully it is...

Either way thicken up the defensive line for element of doubt - make it 10 times bigger - problem solved - so so so simple.

Exactly- thicker line to cover the margin of error. It’s so obvious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here