Poyet To Wigan!?!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not at all, sir. Just pointing out that whilst I've no doubt that Brighton's crowds will eclipse Wigan's next season, I see no reason for them to be sniffed at and considered such a lesser managerial opportunity than your club in terms of squad, budget, and promotion prospects.
And Crystal Palace's.

Still we've got Yeovil to look forward to.........

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Not at all, sir. Just pointing out that whilst I've no doubt that Brighton's crowds will eclipse Wigan's next season, I see no reason for them to be sniffed at and considered such a lesser managerial opportunity than your club in terms of squad, budget, and promotion prospects.

Why are you still here?

Shouldn't you be on the Man City board telling them that Jedinak is better than Yaya Toure, Speroni is the best keeper in the Premier League and that your fans (although not often in attendance) are the best in the country etc, etc, etc.

This was supposed be one of the upsides of you going up!! :)

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
Why are you still here?

Shouldn't you be on the Man City board telling them that Jedinak is better than Yaya Toure, Speroni is the best keeper in the Premier League and that your fans (although not often in attendance) are the best in the country etc, etc, etc.

This was supposed be one of the upsides of you going up!! :)
I don't recall saying any of those things. Why should such an irrelevant and baseless attack come forth rather than a simple discussion of the reasonable point I made on this thread?

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I don't recall saying any of those things. Why should such an irrelevant and baseless attack come forth rather than a simple discussion of the reasonable point I made on this thread?

...because your anti Albion stuff on the BBS is pretty forthright. Now you are on here being nice and it rankles a bit! I can only imagine how INCREDIBLY smug you feel when posting on here and frankly I am a little jealous!

Anyway carry on. No derailment intended.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
...because your anti Albion stuff on the BBS is pretty forthright. Now you are on here being nice and it rankles a bit! I can only imagine how INCREDIBLY smug you feel when posting on here and frankly I am a little jealous!

Anyway carry on. No derailment intended.

I feel you are being a trifle unfair. I tend to meet fire with fire on the BBS, but have a number of Brighton fans I enjoy speaking to on there. If you look before the sudden influx of Brighton trolls on there circa 2011, you will find plenty of fair minded and even complimentary posts from me about your club (and even since).

Even so, I would of course afford your own site the degree of respect it deserves as a guest, and apologise if I have offended in any way. However, on this thread I feel I made a relevant observation that has only been met with hostility rather than a reasoned response.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Rumours that The Wally with The Brolly is very much in the frame for Wigan.

Which will mean we've successfully swerved him :drink:

A friend of mine got some inside info from Wigan and he has been putting small amounts on McLaren for a few days now. At last count he had £700 riding on it. Mostly around 7-2. I haven't seen the market today but he was drifting ( out to 6-1 earlier this week ). As you know, that doesn't always indicate he ain't still in the running.
My advice folks is have a little tenner on the wally with the brolly.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

I think Wigan may be genuine promotion prospects, however that will be dependent on them retaining their premiership players, getting a decent coach in who is able to continue some of Martinez's work. Also, in terms of budget I would imagine that a lot of their players are on fairly good salaries, so the parachute payments are likely to be eaten up.

The crowd size will be relevant in terms of income and inevitably they will be left with their hard core fans.

Despite the lure of European football, it will be difficult to attract the 'right type' of player in the Championship to a unattractive northern outpost.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
I think Wigan may be genuine promotion prospects, however that will be dependent on them retaining their premiership players, getting a decent coach in who is able to continue some of Martinez's work. Also, in terms of budget I would imagine that a lot of their players are on fairly good salaries, so the parachute payments are likely to be eaten up.

The crowd size will be relevant in terms of income and inevitably they will be left with their hard core fans.

Despite the lure of European football, it will be difficult to attract the 'right type' of player in the Championship to a unattractive northern outpost.

Fair comment. I would put Brighton and Wigan on a reasonably even footing at the moment. Wigan I would group as one of those clubs who have to go back up within their parachute money years or forget it. Brighton are boosted by their fan base, but saddled by their debts (I know it s supposedly to Tony Bloom etc. but I think it's clear he doesn't want the club to be a money pit). I feel a lot rides on how long your new support is willing to fund promotion campaigns by watching Championship football.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Fair comment. I would put Brighton and Wigan on a reasonably even footing at the moment. Wigan I would group as one of those clubs who have to go back up within their parachute money years or forget it. Brighton are boosted by their fan base, but saddled by their debts (I know it s supposedly to Tony Bloom etc. but I think it's clear he doesn't want the club to be a money pit). I feel a lot rides on how long your new support is willing to fund promotion campaigns by watching Championship football.

I don't agree that we're saddled by debts, though that's the way a lot of Palace fans tend to see it.

Tony Bloom clearly would like some kind of return on his investment in due course, which is most likely to happen if we reach the Premier League. But he's not like a normal investor. I suspect he knows he may never see his money again, at least in full, but he's come into the role knowing that's probably the case and can afford to lose the money he's gambled. He's a poker player after all.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
I don't agree that we're saddled by debts, though that's the way a lot of Palace fans tend to see it.

Tony Bloom clearly would like some kind of return on his investment in due course, which is most likely to happen if we reach the Premier League. But he's not like a normal investor. I suspect he knows he may never see his money again, at least in full, but he's come into the role knowing that's probably the case and can afford to lose the money he's gambled. He's a poker player after all.
Saddled with debt is perhaps too strong a phrase, but we're not talking just about TB's historical debt, we're talking about two years of reasonably substantial losses, despite unprecedented income. And it is this disparity between seeming income and seeming expenditure potential that appears to have driven such a wedge between the leading figures (ex figures?) at your club.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Saddled with debt is perhaps too strong a phrase, but we're not talking just about TB's historical debt, we're talking about two years of reasonably substantial losses, despite unprecedented income. And it is this disparity between seeming income and seeming expenditure potential that appears to have driven such a wedge between the leading figures (ex figures?) at your club.

I should think Tony Bloom had anticipated the losses of the first two years - or at least had some inclination that they were inevitable. They came as a surprise to us as fans, because we don't see the spreadsheets. But he must have known what was likely. We didn't have any exceptional or unexpected costs, or income, that I can see.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
I should think Tony Bloom had anticipated the losses of the first two years - or at least had some inclination that they were inevitable. They came as a surprise to us as fans, because we don't see the spreadsheets. But he must have known what was likely. We didn't have any exceptional or unexpected costs, or income, that I can see.

Either way, I think it's fair to say it seems to be hampering your club's spending power. (Not knocking that btw - I admire Bloom's sensible approach - it just seems at odds with fans who think your 30,000 fans at home games should = Champions League success, and your manager/ex manager who thinks his club's massive income streams should = one of, if not the, division's biggest spenders.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Either way, I think it's fair to say it seems to be hampering your club's spending power. (Not knocking that btw - I admire Bloom's sensible approach - it just seems at odds with fans who think your 30,000 fans at home games should = Champions League success, and your manager/ex manager who thinks his club's massive income streams should = one of, if not the, division's biggest spenders.

I don't think it is. Firstly I certainly don't see us a club saddled with a debt. The club are rightfully being prudent regarding FFP as many clubs will need to be.

I do feel the club is looking for sustainability rather than boom and bust.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

There is a long term strategy and TB is putting in place guards against a shit or bust attitude which would put us back a few years if it didn't work. It's tough at the moment with the defeat against you and the problems that have arisen with Gus. Long term I think we'll be fine and what is being put in place at the moment will hopefully ensure a bright if not stunning progress in the immediate future. I accept that there may be problems that none of us are aware of but there is nothing to panic about at the moment unless something much more ominous comes to light.

It is incredibly frustrating of course as what looked like such a great season went totally pear shaped after the last game both on and off the field.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here