Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet To Wigan!?!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
A step back! Why is that? Budget is very important to a manager as is the chance to manage a team in the Europa Cup next year! We have an amazing stadium but other than that what makes us, at the present time, better than Wigan?

A step back in that they are a very small club with a shit ground and no fans = diffict to tempt players. Post Martinez is a tough act for gus to follow. Desperation move for gus i reckon.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The one plus for him would be sell his house in Chelsfield for £3.2 m and buy the same in Wigan area for half the price or move to Alderley Edge to be in the mix with wealthy players.

Feb 28, 2006
Eastleigh
Expect a fairly poor reception for Gus when Wigan come to the Amex for the first time if it turns out that the"special" team he left us for was them.

Meh anyway!

Somehow I think he has burnt his bridges as far as a special team goes after his constant whining. Think he will need to thank his lucky stars if anyone wants to take a chance on him after the way he has been conducting himself

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
A step back! Why is that? Budget is very important to a manager as is the chance to manage a team in the Europa Cup next year! We have an amazing stadium but other than that what makes us, at the present time, better than Wigan?

Have you ever been to Wigan?!!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
You're forgetting parachute payments.

Where do you get that figure? If Wigan struggle, they may well get that but then if we struggle, do you think we'll get 30k?

Just a guess really,but like you say,if they struggle I won't be far out unless there is a big away following.it will be a pretty shit move for Poyet and would love him to go there and struggle.
They have a few very good players which they will struggle to hold on too.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
This would be soo funny. Whores himself out to all the prem teams and ends up with wigan in the championship playing in front of 12000 rugby fans. Hope this happens

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have you ever been to Wigan?!!

What's that got to do with it. What makes us a bigger club than Wigan? Tradition? Well Wigan have spent more years in the top flite than we have. They have won the FA Cup. They will be playing in Europe. They have players who have regular prem league experience. We don't. They have an established academy, we don't.

We may have the potential to be bigger but we are not there yet.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I posted on another thread how I couldn't understand the Poyet to Wigan debate and, to a degree, I still don't get it.

Yes there is Europa league football, but having an ex-PL squad doesn't really guarantee anything. For one, you don't know how many of the players will move on, back to the PL, and also, look at the three teams to come down last season with the benefit of that scenario, as well as parachute payments.

One relegated, one just missed out on the play-offs, but couldn't get its act together until they booted out the manager at Christmas, and the other went through about 15 managers and finished 17th.

Poyet probably wouldn't like the fact that the team had to play so many games so close together, either.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
6 weeks ago I would have said no chance, but considering Gus's stock plummeting with recent developments I think he would jump at this. The question is surely do Wigan want him now?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
What's that got to do with it. What makes us a bigger club than Wigan? Tradition? Well Wigan have spent more years in the top flite than we have. They have won the FA Cup. They will be playing in Europe. They have players who have regular prem league experience. We don't. They have an established academy, we don't.

We may have the potential to be bigger but we are not there yet.

Wigan can't sustain any of that for the long term without Dave Whlan pumping money in, because their fanbase is still tiny. They are a small club in a big-ish club disguise. We're currently doing better than Leeds, but that doesn't mean we're a bigger club.

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
Whelan would not have Gus i am sure as Whelan has stated he is looking for stability, a manager who is likley to be at wigan for a while. That is not Gus

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here