Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet slams booing fans (Merged)

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
FCUM beat Rochdale, we only managed a draw.
FCUM were very lucky today and their keeper played out of his skin.
Gus uses these games to try different things using players that he wouldn't necessarily play in a league game, he probably learnt quite a lot today.
All of the Albion's strikers should have done better today but shit happens.
We're still in the cup.
Only boo if it's a boring game, today's game was quite entertaining.
If you don't like seeing Brighton lose or under-perform don't come to the games, because it will happen.

Sep 1, 2010
Well Poyet' South American temperament came out in force here but his reaction is no worse than people booing in the first place. He is on a learning curve like any manager i guess.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I shortened it for brevity, Ninja, not because I was ignoring your post or trying to be disrespectful. To address the rest of your post - we played against 10 for a chunk of the game, a team of semi-pros against supposedly the best team in the competition at the moment. I don't think it's outrageous to expect that we'd sneak through. On another day, you say, well, we'll get another day in the replay won't we, so we have a chance to test that theory.

And Thunder Bolt, I don't think mine is 'over the top whingeing'. I expressed disappointment with the result and suggested that we should beat teams ranked that far down, which we should. It's slightly more considered than you give me credit for. I think my strongest comment was 'it's not good enough'. Are you suggesting that a draw, at home, to a lowly non-league team with a man sent off is good enough? That would be a worrying trend if the players and management thought so.

Edit: To repeat. I don't boo the team and don't think others should. I don't think it's the end of the world but think we should have done better against these opponents and I'm a bit worried that the form's going to seep over into the League. Given my almost complete absence of posts criticising team or management in the past, I think I'm at least entitled to express that opinion? I'm not bloody Withdean Wanderer...

Last edited:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
What you get with Hart is complete honesty and total effort, which he showed again today. As you say, he put a cracking ball through and created more down our right than anyone had all game. It is the other players who should be hanging their heads in shame: Murray looked uninterested, Barnes at least tried but looked like he wouldn't have scored in 900 minutes, let alone 90, Bennett, one of my favourite players, was woeful today in my view, as was Baz, who clearly doesn't fancy a battle. Elphick is short of confidence and it showed. The best two on the pitch were probably Tanno and Painter, who looked back to his assured best after a rocky few games.

Reprising my earlier points, the team overall did not play that badly; we had to abandon our usual system and throw the kitchen sink at them later on - for that sort of game Hart is ideal, but individual players were not up to the mark today. Sure, Gus does not rate cup games that highly (and I have I must admit been slightly critical of him over Woking as I felt the changes disrupted our rhythm), but the possibility of a big tie in the next round ought to be enough to motivate the players. Saying that though, if you thought today was bad, you were obviously not there for Mansfield, or, in the league, the two Walsall games. Those truly were dire - today we were just not at our best. I think if it wasn't for the wobble in the league, today would be quickly forgotten about.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
After saying it was "disrespectful" he then went on to say he may play the reserves in the replay thereby disrespecting The FA, the history of the cup, FCUM and our own traveling fans.

It was not the system being booed or being top of the league or Gus or Tano but the steaming pile of shit that our players were today.

Absolute f***ing rubbish, give me my tenner back (and they can all come round and clean my windows)

don't know why but that had me in stitches! comedy gold.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And Thunder Bolt, I don't think mine is 'over the top whingeing'. I expressed disappointment with the result and suggested that we should beat teams ranked that far down, which we should. It's slightly more considered than you give me credit for. I think my strongest comment was 'it's not good enough'. Are you suggesting that a draw, at home, to a lowly non-league team with a man sent off is good enough? That would be a worrying trend if the players and management thought so.

What is 'good enough'? This sort of thing happens in cup games which is why the cup is still magic. I prefer us to be the underdogs but today the underdogs did better than us. Fair play to them. We don't have a god given right to beat non league teams. That makes us sound arrogant.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Reprising my earlier points, the team overall did not play that badly; we had to abandon our usual system and throw the kitchen sink at them later on - for that sort of game Hart is ideal, but individual players were not up to the mark today. Sure, Gus does not rate cup games that highly (and I have I must admit been slightly critical of him over Woking as I felt the changes disrupted our rhythm), but the possibility of a big tie in the next round ought to be enough to motivate the players. Saying that though, if you thought today was bad, you were obviously not there for Mansfield, or, in the league, the two Walsall games. Those truly were dire - today we were just not at our best. I think if it wasn't for the wobble in the league, today would be quickly forgotten about.

This is an unrecognisably better team than the the ones that lost to Mansfield and Walsall so to see them play that badly is a shock to the system.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
The booers are total fucktards but Poyet has let himself down even acknowledging them. His inexperiance has shown here.

The veiled threat of him getting fed up is a bit shit as well. I do hope he isnt a Keegan and will quit now things are on top

After the recent away backing why the f*** you would acknowledge 15 or so shit faces is beyond me.

Anyway , who boo'd ? if you did and fancy a fight then I'll meet you and fight you

more comedy gold! this is the best thread evarrr!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Quite clearly the way we have treated the English F.A cup this year its patently obvious that Poyet`s thinks it`s a hindrance and maybe thats how us fans should now treat it from now on.

So no fans at the games to boo and upset our precious manager in the future. If Poyet doesn`t want to pit his wits against a premiership manager and team...... so be it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The point is we were disinterested rubbish. It looked worse because despite their best efforts FCUM aren't great and that is reflected in their position in the league hierarchy.

No, you're wrong. We created chance after chance! Who was disinterested? Was it Bridcutt, who kept driving forward trying to make things happen. Was it Dunk, who even tried a 20 yard shot! Was it Elphick who was marauding forward at the end. Who was it? Name and shame.

Seagulls4life

Jul 30, 2010
Brighton
I can understand Poyet but i can also understand the fans booing, it was freezing, it cost what 5 or 10 quid to go and watch it and we manage to scrape a draw against a team 112 places below ourselves but come on everyone its on the FA cup and there's only a chance to draw a big team after this round

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Although he said earlier in the interview it should have been, so contradictory and not a good quote to use as a basis of an argument.:lolol:

Yes, in the game it should have been. Before the game opinions and what's actually happened during the match are different things. We played well enough to run up a cricket score, but just because we were playing against utter tosh didn't mean that it was inevitable.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
For the first time since he took over, I find myself disagreeing with Poyet.

He can play the 'I'll get fed up' card all he likes, but it is extremely concerning that a professional football manager won't acknowledge the fact that football supporters are fickle. We were losing to a team lower than the conference, of course there was going to be booing from a minority, and it was a minority as well. Why tar us all with the same brush? Don't see any way that Poyet can possibly be seen in the right here.

This is further strengthened by the fact he clearly didn't give a shit anyway. Obviously he is more focused on the league which once again I fully support the ideology of, it's just the fact that it has completely backfired on him as without pissing all over them, we have now earnt ourselves another needless game just like Woking which will of course effect the fitness of the players ahead of important league fixtures like Huddersfield the Saturday after.

Obviously I'm with the majority and I'm very happy with the work Poyet has done since he took over, but if people think that he's excusable from mistakes/blame then there is something seriously wrong. Just because he's done well up to now doesn't mean he will always be right.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is an unrecognisably better team than the the ones that lost to Mansfield and Walsall so to see them play that badly is a shock to the system.

The team that lost to Mansfield ended 7th in the league, just out of the playoffs (I feel like BHADebenhams when I keep saying that!)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The problem I have with this is I love the FA Cup, some of best moments of watching the Albion have come in the FA Cup and generally I think most fans are like me.

I also think that it's nonsense to be resting players en masse when at the moment we don't have a large backlog of fixtures. Just keep the momentum going and keep everyone smiling and give the FA Cup the respect it deserves.

Also very distrepectful I thought that in the interview I heard he gave no credit to FCUM and particularly their keeper. I'm not having a go at him as he is still a young manager but hopefully he will learn.

That said I didn't boo and never will. I doubt it was any more than a 100-200 that booed anyway, so why even mention it.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
What is 'good enough'? This sort of thing happens in cup games which is why the cup is still magic. I prefer us to be the underdogs but today the underdogs did better than us. Fair play to them. We don't have a god given right to beat non league teams. That makes us sound arrogant.

This.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes, in the game it should have been. Before the game opinions and what's actually happened during the match are different things. We played well enough to run up a cricket score, but just because we were playing against utter tosh didn't mean that it was inevitable.

So the people predicting a strong win in a game that should have been (according to you and the manager) know nothing about football ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
We have just back from a hard fought point from Southampton after a dip in performances and results. We had more chances and failed to be anything near clinical upfront. Why boo the team? Why not offer some encouragement? It was far from a disastrous performance in the first half. Granted, we were poor in the final third, but there was absolutely no need to get on the back of the players. It wasn't for lack of effort.

Paid our money - do what we like... How about being a bit more positive? Spur the team on instead of sitting comatosed for 45 minutes and then standing up and booing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here