Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet slams booing fans (Merged)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If people thought that was bad, where were you 2 years ago? Because THAT was bad, and deserved booing. This doesn't. Gus is spot on, our fans are pathetic at times. We're 4 points clear at the top of the league, we played a weakened team today against dogged and determined opposition and we drew 1-1, but had how many chances to win? And the minority boo. It's pathetic "support". If you think the fact you've paid a tenner to get in gives you the right to boo like a petulant child, then you've got the problem, not the team/Poyet.

All the nonsense about them being 112 places, 8 leagues below us is irrelevant. They're a football team playing against another football team, we dominated posession and shots on goal, but couldn't find the net enough to win. On another day, we put 5 away and everyone is ole'ing the football. It didn't happen, but there's not fundamentally wrong with the team just because we didn't win on the day.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Spot on Ninja. People have forgotten the dreadful Mansfield game in the FA cup (mentioned on another thread) because that season we ended up 7th.
At the end of this season we should be there or thereabouts and people will have forgotten about today's game. We're not going to win the FA cup so let's see who we get in the draw tomorrow and if it isn't a money spinner then write off the competition and concentrate on the league.

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Booing is just plain bad manners

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Not sure I like Gus threatening the fans.

"I can get fed up as well." Hmmm.

Man's a God but don't stoop to that Gus.

Too True.
sensitive soul isn't he?
He does realise he's the manager of a 3rd division team, doesn't he?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Right. I give up. Players are obviously either brilliant or shit.
Hart was clearly ok today. He got a man sent off and off the top of my head played a wonderful ball through the defence for Bennett (I think) who struggled to get the ball out of his feet in time for a shot.

But yeah ok, whatever.

What you get with Hart is complete honesty and total effort, which he showed again today. As you say, he put a cracking ball through and created more down our right than anyone had all game. It is the other players who should be hanging their heads in shame: Murray looked uninterested, Barnes at least tried but looked like he wouldn't have scored in 900 minutes, let alone 90, Bennett, one of my favourite players, was woeful today in my view, as was Baz, who clearly doesn't fancy a battle. Elphick is short of confidence and it showed. The best two on the pitch were probably Tanno and Painter, who looked back to his assured best after a rocky few games.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
All the nonsense about them being 112 places, 8 leagues below us is irrelevant.

I never boo my own team and have only ever even thought about it on the very, very rare occasions I thought they gave up, and that's not a charge you can level at this team. However, the above statement is nonsense. Of course it's relevant - do you think the fans would have booed a draw against MUFC? The whole paradigm of the performance, result and expectations is framed by exactly where they are in the league, how they and we are doing etc.

As I say, I don't boo my own team, but today's result, frankly, is not good enough, especially when seen as part of the overall performance in the cups this season. It's a dangerous game to mess with, potentially, the squad's overall form by continually messing with team selection in these games. It sends a clear message that Gus isn't bothered about these games and that is never acceptable for a professional football club with supporters paying to watch, ever. If he doesn't care he should say so beforehand and spare the fans the expense because I bloody care, as do other fans who come from some distance, much further than me in some cases, to support them.

But mostly I'm worried that this inability to beat even non-league teams could, that is could, seep into the league form. It's a dangerous thing to do in what's such a confidence based sport, and I don't like it.

Edit: I forgot something. The club site says we 'dominated possession', right alongside the possession statistics. 50/50. Yep - we thrashed them 1-1.

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Gutted yes, but it's the FA cup... we've never done well... in my lifetime... or so it seems. Canvey Island, Hereford, Kingstonian, Mansfield, Woking, FC Utd... booing today was a culmination (obviously) of the recent poor run and the sheer indignity of yet another cup F up... it was alas impudent and clearly, in Poyets (and possiby Murrays... I suspect) case at least, totally counter productive.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
However, the above statement is nonsense.

Rubbish. I've removed the rest of your post, as you did to mine, because you ignored the next point I made in my original post so I'll ignore the rest of yours. On the day it was 11 men from FC against 11 men of Brighton and Hove Albion, it's a football match. Anyone who thinks we should trash them needs to play some football. It doesn't matter who are the best players, who are the best team or who is in a higher league. You play the opposition in front of you. FC played the game very well, they were very lucky to have a good goalkeeper on the day and you could see why they are playing in the league they're in, but what they are is hard working and determined, it was never going to be a walkover. As Poyet said, the people who understand football knew it wasn't going to be 7 or 8 nil.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The booers are total fucktards but Poyet has let himself down even acknowledging them. His inexperiance has shown here.

The veiled threat of him getting fed up is a bit shit as well. I do hope he isnt a Keegan and will quit now things are on top

After the recent away backing why the f*** you would acknowledge 15 or so shit faces is beyond me.

Anyway , who boo'd ? if you did and fancy a fight then I'll meet you and fight you

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I didn't boo, but I did sigh... does that count Dougal?!? how about a nice game of chess?

Jesus... I think we all need to count to ten here... seriously light up a fat one, have a drink, wank... whatever... but let it go... there is, after all, far more to life.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Rubbish. I've removed the rest of your post, as you did to mine, because you ignored the next point I made in my original post so I'll ignore the rest of yours. On the day it was 11 men from FC against 11 men of Brighton and Hove Albion, it's a football match. Anyone who thinks we should trash them needs to play some football. It doesn't matter who are the best players, who are the best team or who is in a higher league. You play the opposition in front of you. FC played the game very well, they were very lucky to have a good goalkeeper on the day and you could see why they are playing in the league they're in, but what they are is hard working and determined, it was never going to be a walkover. As Poyet said, the people who understand football knew it wasn't going to be 7 or 8 nil.

The point is we were disinterested rubbish. It looked worse because despite their best efforts FCUM aren't great and that is reflected in their position in the league hierarchy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But mostly I'm worried that this inability to beat even non-league teams could, that is could, seep into the league form. It's a dangerous thing to do in what's such a confidence based sport, and I don't like it.

Nonsense. As I pointed out on another thread, we lost to the lowest placed team (Mansfield) in an abysmal game just 3 years ago and finished 7th in the league. We were also knocked out by Lincoln in the year we were promoted. Ok, so they are league teams but still quite a long way below us. On the day 11 players face 11 players. That is what happens in Cup games and why giant killings happen. Sorry if this seems like a lecture but all this OTT whinging about a cup game is pointless.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
EH!?
Were you AWAKE at the game!?
Hart dramatically changed the game. Christ. OPEN EYES PEOPLE.

As OGH fan, I don't think he changed the game. The chances reduced in frequency after he came on and he did not get into the game and semed sligthly below par as was Glen Murray. As for the game, we carved the opposition apart for most of the game creating about ten half chances and at least four good chances. Their keeper stopped two of them Murray fluffed one.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
If Poyet is ever going to succeed at this level - let alone anything higher - he needs to develop a much thicker skin.

Any more Latino Hissy Fits because 6 blokes and a dog in the south stand boo a little bit, suggests he might not have the right temprament to succeed at the very highest levels.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
if people thought that was bad, where were you 2 years ago? Because that was bad, and deserved booing. This doesn't. Gus is spot on, our fans are pathetic at times. We're 4 points clear at the top of the league, we played a weakened team today against dogged and determined opposition and we drew 1-1, but had how many chances to win? And the minority boo. It's pathetic "support". If you think the fact you've paid a tenner to get in gives you the right to boo like a petulant child, then you've got the problem, not the team/poyet.

All the nonsense about them being 112 places, 8 leagues below us is irrelevant. They're a football team playing against another football team, we dominated posession and shots on goal, but couldn't find the net enough to win. On another day, we put 5 away and everyone is ole'ing the football. It didn't happen, but there's not fundamentally wrong with the team just because we didn't win on the day.

this

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Quite glad I stayed at home today. I'm not paying £30 odd quid (with train fare) to watch an under strength team in the FA cup.

I understand why he is doing it, but it isn't for me and has backfired (again). I'd rather listen on the radio.

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
There needs to be some context.

Boo'ing at half time? Idiots.

Boo'ing after 90 minutes losing to a team 112 places lower who are part time, had a player sent off, and on the back of two games against non league opposition we also failed to win, I can understand.

Poyet needs to man up. Don't want criticism? Don't play shit players and draw at home with a shit non league team on a par with Hastings United...

We didn't lose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here