Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet slams booing fans (Merged)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If people thought that was bad, where were you 2 years ago? Because THAT was bad, and deserved booing. This doesn't. Gus is spot on, our fans are pathetic at times. We're 4 points clear at the top of the league, we played a weakened team today against dogged and determined opposition and we drew 1-1, but had how many chances to win? And the minority boo. It's pathetic "support". If you think the fact you've paid a tenner to get in gives you the right to boo like a petulant child, then you've got the problem, not the team/Poyet.

All the nonsense about them being 112 places, 8 leagues below us is irrelevant. They're a football team playing against another football team, we dominated posession and shots on goal, but couldn't find the net enough to win. On another day, we put 5 away and everyone is ole'ing the football. It didn't happen, but there's not fundamentally wrong with the team just because we didn't win on the day.

Most of this. The performance wasn't that bad (except when it came to finishing, or choices in their box), imo.

My my - hasn't this caused a stir - and rightly so.

Lesson No. 1 for Gus and Tanno - football fans are fickle. Lesson 2 - some fans like to boo. Lesson 3 - most fans are not as tacticaly astute as they are and that's why fans sit in the stands and the managers sit in the dugouts - except Tanno who tried to do an impression of a professional footballer.

GP and Tanno both showed extreme managerial inexperience and their Latin sensitivety by the half time and full time petulant reactions to a few fans who were acting like it was a panto - which in many respects it was.

FC were not a Colchester and yet we played against them as though they were and gave them way too much respect. Some of our football was poor and most of our finishing was utterly shocking and with the greatest respect to the management, it was extremely frustrating sitting in the stands watching us play as we did. I do not agree with booing but get real - it happens.

GP and Tanno need to get real and accept it happens - ignore it - either take the competition seriously or not and be prepared to accept the consequences without throwing their toys out the pram. Almost everyone recognises the improvements they have made to this club and what they have achieved - but yesterday there were many poor things against a team that should have been absolutely hammered and people were justified in being frustrated - just because they boo doesn't give the management the right to become all indignant.

Most of this. Though...

I love brighton fans, but i do not like some of their reactions either, so why do they have a right to slate Gus, but he gets hammered when he bites back. Its a joke

...this. The fans had an emotional reaction, it's unfair to criticise Poyet for having an emotional reaction too.

One pattern I'm seeing is that each side seems to be pointing to the league tables, as if it affects the performance in the cup yesterday (one saying how high we are, one saying how low FC united are).

Both are right, both are wrong. The league is a reason for us not to be disappointed by cup performances. However, the league is also a reason for us to expect to beat FC united.

For me, though I don't boo (it seems like such cartoonish behaviour), the end of each half is the only time it should occur. Yes, that means half time, too. It lets the players know you are unhappy with the performance, and can have an effect. It does help, at times. Contrary to what some people believe, criticism, booing, etc can spur on players, it can wake them up. Many many managers are known for giving the hair-dryer treatment at half-time and booing is simply the fans equivalent. If we cheer them off, we undermine any half-time haranguing, if we give silent treatment it's as if we don't care, so why should they?

We should and, as far as I've witnessed, always do get behind the team at the start of each half.

However, and this is important, the booing should only occur when we are performing badly, and not just because we aren't winning.

But ultimately this (though, perhaps not as aggressively put as this)...

get a grip you sad fuckers , there's more inportant things in life to worry about ......................... or maybe not in the case of 80% on here

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Criticism happens in all walks of life and every club has it's boo boys.
He should just ignore them and show them by results on the pitch.
Gus seems a bit petulant and seems to 'shoot from the lip' so to speak, could be the result of his South American upbringing.
He needs to engage the brain before commenting as every word will be acted upon and scruitinised.
Veiled threats are not welcome anywhere and I myself prefer to hear people say what they mean and talk straight.
This would not have gone unnoticed by potential employers and I am sorry to deflate some of you but he is just a man not a god.:eek:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I didn't boo.

I just seethed. Quietly.

That's the way, express your opinion like a true English gentlemen by bottling it up.

Seriously though, what a binfest, IMHO booing your team is just not good enough, suck it up and come back next week.

I wonder how many boo boys will be lining up for Pompey tickets if we get through the replay....?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
People moaning about Poyet's attitude to the Cup are missing the point. As the performances have proved, we simply don't have the depth in the squad to be able to afford to lose our best players. Say Dicker, Greer and Calderon had played and a couple had picked up injuries - where would that leave us for the Colchester game? With the same stand-ins that were booed. It's not about players being unable to manage so many games ... It's about protecting limited resources. The fact that he even risked Murray, Barnes, Bennett and Painter showed GP was serious about getting through.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
He's South American, what do you expect? Anybody on here who's been there I'm sure will agree that they are fiery characters.

For those who booed, I guess you have two options. Try and remember that the team are 6 points clear and are due an off day albeit against a side 112 places below Brighton.

Or, give them the stick they rightly deserve for that performance despite playing very well all season.

Personally, I'd go with the first. Ever since Lua Lua's injury, somethings not quite right at the club...

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
Poyet is the next McGhee.

Falling out with players in the press (Forster, Murray), putting out weakened teams when it suits him and saying the result does not matter (just like v Stoke), criticising the fans, and inheriting a good team from Dean Wilkins (7th!!!!!!) that was a cert to go up, just like McGhee did from Coppell.

Sack the South American Jocko clown now BEFORE it is too late and we are in the Conference, he has taken the club as far as he can.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
:fishing:

Falling out with players in the press (Forster, Murray), putting out weakened teams when it suits him and saying the result does not matter (just like v Stoke), criticising the fans, and inheriting a good team from Dean Wilkins (7th!!!!!!) that was a cert to go up, just like McGhee did from Coppell.

Sack the South American Jocko clown now BEFORE it is too late and we are in the Conference, he has taken the club as far as he can.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

:lolol: Unbelivable 3/10

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
What should have been an exciting cup run has been spoilt by Poyet's attitude towards all the cup competitions. His desire to rest players has resulted in two extra games , the upsetting of the fans , the loss of revenue if we lose against FCUM which could have been used to enhance the squad in January. On top of this the brilliant form of Peterborough has dissappeared due to tinkering with team selection.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What should have been an exciting cup run has been spoilt by Poyet's attitude towards all the cup competitions. His desire to rest players has resulted in two extra games , the upsetting of the fans , the loss of revenue if we lose against FCUM which could have been used to enhance the squad in January. On top of this the brilliant form of Peterborough has dissappeared due to tinkering with team selection.

1: Exciting cup run? Where is the excitement in playing Woking and FCUM?
2: Upsetting the fans? This time last year we were hovering in the relegation zone, fans should grow some balls or develop a memory.
3: Loss of revenue? We are still in the cup, the team put out on Saturday featured Brez, Kish, Elphick, Painter, Bennett, Murray and Barnes, all of whom have been first choice in the last twelve months, we should have won the match had we taken our chances.
4: Brilliant form against Peterboro was a one off, it was NEVER going to last more than a few weeks. A combination of injury (KLL, Elphick), suspension (Bridcutt) and loss of form (Murray, Barnes) was inevitable.

We're into December and have lost TWO league games. At the start of December last year we were in the bottom four. People have short memories and deluded expectation.

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
Every club around the country would of had a percentage of their fans boo that performance/ result! I thought Gus would be bright enough to realise this. Its worrying how upset he gets when he gets some criticism.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Every club around the country would of had a percentage of their fans boo that performance/ result! I thought Gus would be bright enough to realise this. Its worrying how upset he gets when he gets some criticism.

Have to agree.He shouldn't even have mentioned the booing let alone make a meal of it.
Hopefully,he can learn from this mistake,regalvanise( is that a word?) the team and keep us at the top of the league.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Gus is a good guy, but if he can't handle justified criticism of his team and selection then he won't be managing higher anytime soon. I'm sure he will learn to accept these things as he gets more experience. Telling fans to stay at home probably won't go down too well with Bloom and co.
Spot on I think it's his lack of experience as an actual manager that makes him unable to accept sometimes he may be wrong, hence Forster departure. All teams would get booed especially if they had put in 2 poor performances against part-time footballers, nothing personal Gus it's just football.
Plenty of managers would die for the opportunity to manager Brighton Now!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
People moaning about Poyet's attitude to the Cup are missing the point. As the performances have proved, we simply don't have the depth in the squad to be able to afford to lose our best players. Say Dicker, Greer and Calderon had played and a couple had picked up injuries - where would that leave us for the Colchester game? With the same stand-ins that were booed. It's not about players being unable to manage so many games ... It's about protecting limited resources. The fact that he even risked Murray, Barnes, Bennett and Painter showed GP was serious about getting through.

this is 10000000000000% correct

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here