Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet slams booing fans (Merged)

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Gus did a similar thing in the league when some fans booed us playing the ball repeatedly across the back four. This actually worked, as in the league since then the crowd has been suportive of the way Gus wants us to play.

Yesterday lots of non STH were in attendance and he has had to repeat himself. Just watched the highlights and even their manager said how lucky they were, one shot, one goal a penalty save and the keeper gets MOTM.

Gus has been a fantastic tonic for our club, have a little faith in his ways...

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I haven't read the rest of this thread but just want to air my views on the subject.

I don't agree with with people booing but I've got to say that Gus should not be immune to criticism. I think the way he sarcastically applauded the fans and then said in his interview something along the lines of 'they should be careful because I can get fed up too, they should stay at home' (at least that was how I read it), was wrong.

Saying 'we're four points clear' does not hide the fact that we have failed, for the third time in a row, to beat a poor non-league side'. Our performance was nowhere near as bad, however, as some we've seen over the last two or three years, and not worthy of booing. It goes without saying that I love Gus and the style of football we are playing, but I don't think he should act so disgusted when criticism comes his way. He will get praised when we win and criticised when we don't, that is the nature of football management.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It seems to me that if you want to boo and want the albion to progress, then going to see Palarse, Pompey or any league one team regularly would be the best way to achieve both objectives

*cue, i pay my money and can boo if i want, and it has a positive effect on the team and i'm albion through and through blah blah blah :bla::bla::bla:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
oh look, NSC's very own self publicist, wannabe tabloid hack is all over this like a rash what. a. f***ing. surprise.

'man up' and do a 'proper' job?

Have a day off.

I was as disgusted as anyone with the moaners at half time and when they scored.

I think a team that is top of the league and playing the best football we have seen in years deserves more support when we go behind.

But, the fact we are top of the league does not mean people cannot criticise the team when it draws with someone so far down the football pyramid.

I didn't boo. Never do. Don't see it as particularly constructive. The players will know as much as we do how poor it is to draw with a team 112 places lower.

I love Poyet. Just didn't love his reaction.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
If people thought that was bad, where were you 2 years ago? Because THAT was bad, and deserved booing. This doesn't. Gus is spot on, our fans are pathetic at times. We're 4 points clear at the top of the league, we played a weakened team today against dogged and determined opposition and we drew 1-1, but had how many chances to win? And the minority boo. It's pathetic "support". If you think the fact you've paid a tenner to get in gives you the right to boo like a petulant child, then you've got the problem, not the team/Poyet.

All the nonsense about them being 112 places, 8 leagues below us is irrelevant. They're a football team playing against another football team, we dominated posession and shots on goal, but couldn't find the net enough to win. On another day, we put 5 away and everyone is ole'ing the football. It didn't happen, but there's not fundamentally wrong with the team just because we didn't win on the day.

Spot on

Jan 30, 2008
get a grip you sad fuckers , there's more inportant things in life to worry about ......................... or maybe not in the case of 80% on here

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
Get behind the team or f*** OFF. We have all seen great games and alot of not so great games. Please dont boo your own team. That is not our way, we are better than that. we have always been better than that, even when we were fighting at the bottom looking at lose after lose. We are BRIGHTON and we have been to football hell and back thanks to archer and balotti.......... LETS BE BETTER THAN THE REST.....GET A GRIP

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
I think what the main disappointment of regular fans yesterday was that after a run of poor form in the last month we finally looked in the last half hour of the Southampton game like we'd dusted off the cob webs and it was back to business as usual

The FA cup holds a lot of special memories for Brighton fans with more recent third rounds ties away at Spurs,West Ham and Aston Villa being great days out.

I think a lot of fans hold out hope that we make it to the third round and get a plumb away tie. If we lose that and then they'd happilly settle for "concetrating on the league"

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Gus and Tanno have done wonders for the club so far,but if Gus wants to have a long and successful career in football management he really must grow a thicker skin and think before he lets that jerky knee get out of control.
IMHO, it was a monumental lack of judgement to have a go at the fans after the match.Just let it go or say the usual....they are entitled to be upset blah,blah,blah!!
The vast majority of fans did not boo,so get a grip Gus and put this error of judgement behind you and learn from it.Even Sir Alex and Arsene Wenger get criticism now and again!

Last edited:

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Nope, but what will booing the team at half time achieve? By all means give them some grief at the end of the game. Having seen the FCUM fans today show how to get behind a team perhaps the Albion fans deserve booing too for a couldn't give a shit performance from themselves?

This I agree with.

storer

Nov 28, 2010
you are so so sad. go and support palace. let me guess...if you were in charge, mayo left back, hart right wing?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If you're going to make an issue over us being 4 points clear at the top of league one, you have to also take into account that FC United are four divisions below us, 112 league positions separate us. Such a gap shouldn't result in a draw, especially when we played against 10 men for half an hour.

Having said that, I agree with Lush:
The crowd was angry at the performance on the pitch, so they booed.

Gus was angry at the performance on the pitch, so he has a go at the booers.

It's all about the performance on the pitch, not about Gus or the crowd IMHO

I was going to say this is all about emotional reaction. Some fans were disappointed and frustrated (personally I was frustrated by the high balls into the box that everyone tried to chest down time and time again in a crowded penalty box, and by the penalty - I saw their keeper going that way before bennett kicked the ball, so felt it was a poor penalty, though I know JB on the radio thought it was a great save), and this frustration came out in the boos (not from me, I don't boo just seems silly and cartoonish).

Gus was probably equally frustrated, both by the result, and the performance (well, as far as our finishing is concerned, I didn't think the rest of the performance was too bad), and by the booing, and that came out in his criticism of the fans.

I'm sure he Gus realises (and if not he should), that there are some fans, and they exist at every club, who will boo if they don't win games that they "should" regardless of performances and he shouldn't take it personally.

storer

Nov 28, 2010
well said.

such a sad sad comment mate. You clearly havnt got a clue. Gus has said on many occasions thta the fa cup isnt a big deal. you wana go up this year? or get 4th round an be bottom half? prick. fans like you are the ones who get tickets for away days when you realy realy shouldnt! Stay away until Gus has gone if your that thick.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Regrettably,Gus has riled a lot of fans by his outburst and I don't mean the fans that booed.He has cocked up big time by having such a hissy fit and despite our position in the league must grow up and realise he ( like every single other manager in the football league)is not immune from criticism.
The worrying thing about all this is that once managers start having a go at the fans it often ends in tears all round.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Some supporters you lot. Poyet is correct. 4 points clear in the league and still in the cup. Get real! We are there to be shot at now and clubs are beginning to realise how to play against us. Coupled with us being ever so slightly off the boil, it is not easy whether it be cup or league. I bet you boo boys would have been bringing the roof down if you had been offered our current positions in mid August.

Stop booing, never ever is constructive and in our current situation , wholly unfair and unacceptable.

TNBA

TTF

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It seems to me that if you want to boo and want the albion to progress, then going to see Palarse, Pompey or any league one team regularly would be the best way to achieve both objectives

*cue, i pay my money and can boo if i want, and it has a positive effect on the team and i'm albion through and through blah blah blah :bla::bla::bla:

Spot on. As for people saying we went backwards after a good second half at Southampton... hello... we made seven changes to that team...

And for the guy who said it was a poor penalty because he saw the keeper going that way before the ball was kicked.... Exactly. The TV pictures showed he was also 2 yards off his line by the time Bennett kicked the ball. It should have been retaken.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I didn't boo, but it was tempting. Instead a few heartfelt shouts of "Rubbish".

Poyet got it all wrong yesterday. Our passing game was never going to beat that lot. We should have mixed it up with some long balls. Murray had the beating of them in the air and we should have exploited that. And he should never have taken Murray off at half time.

He is no doubt a great manager, but even the good ones make mistakes and he did yesterday. And he was wrong to change the team for the first cup game. His professionals should be quite capable of playing one game a week and if he'd kept an unchanged team for the first Woking game (minus whoever is cup-tied) we would have won easily, would not have experienced the blip in league form, would not have had a replay, and (if he'd done the same thing yesterday) we would now be in the 3rd round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here