Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet Signs...

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Of course it's not as though we needed the money at the time is it? Some of you people really have an axe to grind over DK. On a good news days you manage to find a negative-well f***ing done.

Yes, I am happy to admit that I do not share the admiration of some of you arse wipes for Tight! He stayed around far too long, and treated us all like *****.

However, if you actually try to read my post, it was a positive comment in terms of the importance of managers being under contract, and pointing out that Coppell would have been happy to honour his at the time. I believe that it is great news that Gus has agreed to four more years. Onwards and upwards with the TB and GP rocket ship!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
In case anyone else wants to start a poyet signs thread in the next 10 mins.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yes, I am happy to admit that I do not share the admiration of some of you arse wipes for Tight! He stayed around far too long, and treated us all like *****.

However, if you actually try to read my post, it was a positive comment in terms of the importance of managers being under contract, and pointing out that Coppell would have been happy to honour his at the time. !

And Coppell would have honoured it - if Tight had not grabbed the cmpensation money from Reading

You're right, that is full of positivity. Typical of an anti DK arse wipe (see, I can do uncalled for insults too).

Without the compensation for Coppell where would the club be right now? We didn't see a great rush of moneyed men coming to the aid of the club at that time did we and that money was needed to help keep it going?

One thing we agree on and that is that DK did stay on a bit too long but, again, there wasn't a great stampede of investors was there? At least not until all of the planning battles were done and dusted.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

Without the compensation for Coppell where would the club be right now? ...

Possibly in a far stronger position than we have been for the last 7 years? He was a great Manager, and we were really starting to progress under him. Which is obviously why Reading wanted him. Exactly how does the £300k (?) compare with the low gates and wasted money on shite players over that period?

questier

Apr 16, 2006
Cambridgeshire/Liverpool
Albion boss Gus Poyet has revealed his delight at being the man to lead the Seagulls out in their first game at the new, American Express Community Stadium.

The Uruguayan and assistant manager Mauricio Taricco put pen-to-paper on four-year deals yesterday, and Poyet told seagulls.co.uk, "I am very pleased with the new deal. It's been no secret that Tano and myself have been in talks.

"I think first and foremost we need to thank the chairman for believing in Tano, all the staff and myself.

"In this crazy world of football, where managers come and go very quickly, the deals have given us stability; so we can push on and plan for a little bit longer than usual. I'm looking forward to the next four years.

"As you know my contract was up before the completion of the new stadium. So I am really looking forward at leading my team out for the first game at the Amex Stadium."

With the deal now signed, Poyet says he now has the opportunity to become more involved in both the youth set-up and in the planning of the new stadium.

"There are aspects of the new stadium that I will have the option to give my opinion, and that shows the commitment of the club, giving me the opportunity to participate.

"We are going to start a new chapter in the job; I want players to be ready to come through the academy and play for the first-team.

"Also, I am going to be helping Hinsh [Martin Hinshelwood] as much as possible. I want to help him in getting the best young players at the club, and try to get the best youth set up possible.

"I am looking forward at the possibility of being at the Amex stadium for a very long time."

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We didn't see a great rush of moneyed men coming to the aid of the club at that time did we and that money was needed to help keep it going?

Isn't it funny (and this isn't a dig at anyone in particular, just one of those quirks of football fandom), how we had no hope of money coming in anywhere, no interest, our club was doomed! Yet, how many times have we discussed on here clubs that are given winding up orders and everyone here knowing the club won't go bust, a deal will be struck, someone will come in at the last minute just waiting for the best deal they can, etc? No one expected the Palace deal to fail, except palace fans, no one expects pompy to go bust, and now Wednesday's winding up order is already being dismissed as a minor technicality.

When other clubs are on the brink we dismiss it as being part of the process of new investors/owners coming in and no need to worry, but when it's our own club it's a dire situation.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Possibly in a far stronger position than we have been for the last 7 years? He was a great Manager, and we were really starting to progress under him. Which is obviously why Reading wanted him. Exactly how does the £300k (?) compare with the low gates and wasted money on shite players over that period?

Low gates? I think you mean 90% full ground.

Shite players? The ones who got us promoted?

True, Coppell sticking around would have been good, but seeing as we were not in a position to increase our revenue through increased crowds, a £300,000 cash injection was very handy.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
When other clubs are on the brink we dismiss it as being part of the process of new investors/owners coming in and no need to worry, but when it's our own club it's a dire situation.

That is true. Although not having a ground and the only assets being your players does put you in a more dodgy position than most.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great news, the perfect start to the weekend.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Great news. I think too many clubs appoint managers just looking for success in the present and near future. Allowing Gus to contribute to the longer term aims of the club is a wise move and he must appreciate the backing he receives here.

Once he's implemented more of his ideas I think the lure of having to start again elsewhere will be less appealing. I think it will take a top championship club or higher to get his interest now.

Of course a 4 year deal also gives Gus the option of saying he is building for the long term which might help with rising expectation levels!

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
If you think he is as good manager as he is - do you really think he'll still be at Brighton in 4 years? Not to mention past evidence that shows that hardly ANY manager stays at a club for four years!

This may be correct but it is a day for rejoicing.......we have a good young manager who has an excellent high profile, if he is poached it will mean the club is riding high then compensation will have to be paid for his contract and a vacancy for a high flying club in a lovely stadium with good support will attract other high profile managers.....win win situation. (if Gus does well)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm liking Tariccio saying that he wants all the clubs teams to play the same way, the transition for young players coming in will be much easier and we may even get some of the players who currently go to London clubs wanting to come and play flicky flicky football. Really exciting times ahead. We may even surpass the Bamber/ Mullery years soon..yay, it may be a dream but now it at least seems attainable.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Low gates? I think you mean 90% full ground.

Shite players? The ones who got us promoted?

True, Coppell sticking around would have been good, but seeing as we were not in a position to increase our revenue through increased crowds, a £300,000 cash injection was very handy.

No moron. That was only at immediately afterwards before Magoo et al cocked it all up. I am talking about the whole period between Coppell leaving us and Tight getting kicked off the Board and things getting back on track.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No moron. That was only at immediately afterwards before Magoo et al cocked it all up. I am talking about the whole period between Coppell leaving us and Tight getting kicked off the Board and things getting back on track.

Well, tragic f***-up, what did 'Magoo' cock up? Promotion? Highest finish in the league for 15 years?

You are well noted on here for very selectively using history to suit your retarded, under-used mind, and not having the minerals to think clearly and intelligently - you don't HAVE to prove it with every post you make.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Did anyone else notice the BEEBs glaring error of saying 'keeps him at the Withdean stadium until 2014' - sorry if it's been said...

Great stuff GUS

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This is brilliant news... our future looking very rosy now... well done Tony and Gus, and all others involved...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here