Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet needs a striker - By Andy Naylor

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Last season Hoskins was asked if he wanted to go on loan, he said yes. End of his Brighton career as long as Poyet is manager..
Hoskins stated that he was homesick, what has changed, as his family and friends moved down here????

If we get another striker, is he going to play two up front? I am not sure he will, so where does that leave CMS? Look at last night, brings Vicente on, puts him up front and CMS on the left! Also, we have supposedly got this box to box midfielder with presence (don't get me wrong, I like Crofts) and he still plays 3 (Dicker Bridcutt and Crofts) in the middle! He obviously still has no faith in the midfield. If he did, surely he would try at least for the last 15 minutes, Toby and CMS upfront together..???

I've got a different slant on Hoskins. Gus agreed a deal with Bournemouth without telling Hoskins then Hoskins didn't want to go and the deal fell through. That pissed Gus off and although Hoskins wants to stay it's obv Gus doesn't want him so he takes a loan at Sheff U and lobs in the nearer home thing - if you remember his press conf up there he hardly looked enthusiastic about it. Then Gus came out and said if he wants to stay and fight for a place he could, which I thought a little unnecessary. That's how I saw it anyway.

I think if he can start Vicente we'll see a different formation with Vicente playing behind CMS (or whoever) but certainly higher than Dicker and I don't see Gus using 2 front men. Last night was bizarre though, and I can't see what he was thinking. CMS was playing deep well before Vicente came on and to use Vicente as a lone striker, even for 10 minutes seemed a strange decision to me

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Two games in....we have'nt scored and shipped only 1....now there's whispers of a struggle this season...you would'nt think we are one win from a play off spot would you...Gus is not going out to say "We will get a striker cos we've loadsamoney" like a good card player he keeps his cards close to his chest....(might have got that from Tony)...smile....you could've been a Palace supporter calling for Dougies head...where would you rather be...2 games 1 draw F 0...A 1 Or games2 losses 2 F...3 A...7

For the record I think we'll be absolutely fine

kano

Jun 17, 2011
Id like to see him use the wealth of attackers at his disposal before we sign another.

Lets face its only CMS was totally free of defensive duties ... even noone and barnes are asked to track back. The balance of the team needs looking at otherwise all hes going to do is sit more talent on the bench.

One4the.road

Jan 10, 2011
All the extra seats must make enough £s to buy and pay for a striker . It was once said 12000 gate we would break even we are doubling that . I know stadium needs paying for etc but buying a striker and getting into the prem must be the goal . We all know the fruits which come with the premiership .

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'd much rather us invest in a young talent from League 1 or 2 or perhaps abroad than throw our money at someone like Fuller.

In fact I'd rather Murray back than him or that West Ham lump.

I basically want a player who will come in and appreciate the club and the amazing stadium we have and use to to better themselves.

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
Pleading poverty

This seems to be Gus's policy with agents, media etc. To help drive down the price/wage to the lowest possible level. Obviously some targets will fall by the way side. However, if some of his targets are still available up to the transfer deadline, he may well snap up the bargain he and we are waiting for. That pressure on keeping the price down is totally tied to the deadline date.

This. He does it about 10 times every transfer window.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
i am getting bored of all this striker talk and we all know we need one and why are all the other teams finding it so easy to get one and we are struggling to get one

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
okay i understand we are looking for the right one that will score goals and why don't we take a chance with a youngest from a premier league club

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As ever I'm taking Poyet's negativity with a pinch of salt.

He will ALWAYS downplay the budget and ALWAYS downplay how we're doing on the striker front.
Exactly. If he'd said we were nearly there I'd worry.

“We are not close enough to getting one. We are going to try to make sure we keep performing but the quality, the expensive part, the one that is going to make a difference, is missing and it’s taking too long.
Which basically means we'll probably have signed someone by the time I've finished this post.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Interesting quotes from Gus. On that basis it's worth trying to do a deal for Murray.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
At the end of the day, even at this early stage, we have until next Friday to save our season, snipe if you will but that's the long and short of it, if there's no-one in the squad capable of putting the ball in the net then where will the wins come from?...

Only if you are demanding promotion. The expectations are now becoming laughable. Look at the money Cardiff have spent and we managed to mostly match them. If we get a quality triker who stays fit we should become promotion contenders. If we don't we'll likely have an up and down season but survive comfortably and I'll enjoy it, I suppose you'll stop going again?

Talk of SAVING the season is frankly BOLLOCKS

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'd much rather us invest in a young talent from League 1 or 2 or perhaps abroad than throw our money at someone like Fuller.

In fact I'd rather Murray back than him or that West Ham lump.

I basically want a player who will come in and appreciate the club and the amazing stadium we have and use to to better themselves.

This.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It seems two strikers are necessary for me. One would be a potentially rising star on loan who wouldn't mind being on the bench a bit and looking to make more of a name for himself. Such a player is worth a gamble and wouldn't necessarily have us break the bank for. They'd have developed their touch in the top level and have a bit of daring flair, sometimes out of control. They could do the unexpected.
The other striker is a reasonably seasoned and aerially dominant sort who could nod home one of the 38 corners we had last night. It would allow CMS to roam and weasel more and have the centrehalves concentrating on not leaving such a towering figure alone. He's not an ox, but a big man with a touch who could take the ball down as well as standardly flick it on.
Two strikers gives us options. Unless we are determined to bring Toby through, which i am not sure we really are.

What i hope we all learned last night is that if you are looking to beat a team comfortable enough with a draw, then you don't put Vicente up front on his own and move CMS out wide. Maybe CMS had tired, but i doubt he'd be as generally idle as Vicente is when he hasn't got the ball. We needed CMS to charge their defence to release the ball. Vicente could sit behind him comfortably and await to pick up the ball in that space in the hole. Ideally, we know that not to be a tactic now.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
You have to love Gus.A couple of days ago he quoted in the Argus we are talking to five different strikers. Today we are nowhere near one. If he thinks that Vicente is the answer up front, he is deluded. Whats wrong with trying the strikers we have until we sign someone instead of putting round pegs in square holes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here