Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet needs a striker - By Andy Naylor

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well, if not, we have blown five points we could well have taken. How much more of a head start are we going to give our promotion rivals?

Or is promotion just paper talk to get bums on seats?

How is drawing with a promotion rival "giving them a head start"?

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Pleading poverty

This seems to be Gus's policy with agents, media etc. To help drive down the price/wage to the lowest possible level. Obviously some targets will fall by the way side. However, if some of his targets are still available up to the transfer deadline, he may well snap up the bargain he and we are waiting for. That pressure on keeping the price down is totally tied to the deadline date.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
We could still be looking at Simon Church. Reading have said that they won't let him go until Jason Roberts is fit and playing ( possible return at the weekend ) Apparently, Church is lined up to go to a Championship club.
Not sure he would be the answer....most Reading fans singularly unimpressed with him.
Fuller to Charlton...DJ Campbell to Bristol C....Barnard to Bournemouth....plenty of striker movement going on at present......just none in our direction.

Simon Church going somewhere else, can't remember who, but not us.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Gus will get his man. This is all tactics in showing we're not about to pay silly money - even if it does mean waiting right until the last minute of this window.

If not, give Roland Bergkamp a go!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
When Gus speaks of his need for a Quality striker, I wonder if he understand the detrimental effect it may have on the likes of Toby,Hoskins, etc.. who must feel they may have no future with us at all. I would feel like the manager had absolutely no confidence in my ability and would wonder what the hell i was doing at this club.

Is he basically saying theyre not good enough and should seek employement elsewhere?

I don't think the players can moan to be honest. There's no point dressing it up just so other players don't have a sulk. We're in need of a quality striker to go with our already good team. The performances are there, but the goals are not. Simples. Gus has said so many times about it being a team game, the whole squad is important. I get the impression that the players have bought into that mentality.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
What a difference a week makes on here........this time last week it was full of promotion/play offs, but now..........even overheard a couple of blokes talking in beer queue, 'who we got Saturday?' 'Barnsley' says his mate, reply 'Oh that's alright, they're the whipping boys, we'll be alright' ......we are nowhere near the finished article.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Last season Hoskins was asked if he wanted to go on loan, he said yes. End of his Brighton career as long as Poyet is manager..
Hoskins stated that he was homesick, what has changed, as his family and friends moved down here????

If we get another striker, is he going to play two up front? I am not sure he will, so where does that leave CMS? Look at last night, brings Vicente on, puts him up front and CMS on the left! Also, we have supposedly got this box to box midfielder with presence (don't get me wrong, I like Crofts) and he still plays 3 (Dicker Bridcutt and Crofts) in the middle! He obviously still has no faith in the midfield. If he did, surely he would try at least for the last 15 minutes, Toby and CMS upfront together..???

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
When Gus speaks of his need for a Quality striker, I wonder if he understand the detrimental effect it may have on the likes of Toby,Hoskins, etc.. who must feel they may have no future with us at all. I would feel like the manager had absolutely no confidence in my ability and would wonder what the hell i was doing at this club.

Is he basically saying theyre not good enough and should seek employement elsewhere?

If the players were getting on a bit like Vincelot, Sparrow and Dicker and not likely to get any better, yes. But Noone and Barnes should actually get a bit better in the next two seasons.

This also gives some indication of the age group for permanent players, and more experienced strikers could be signed to get the goals to get us to the Premier and then the younger players (or new signings) will take over.

If I was a player approaching my peak of my career, I would not want to be langushing as a squad player for a Premier side on £10K a week.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Two games in....we have'nt scored and shipped only 1....now there's whispers of a struggle this season...you would'nt think we are one win from a play off spot would you...Gus is not going out to say "We will get a striker cos we've loadsamoney" like a good card player he keeps his cards close to his chest....(might have got that from Tony)...smile....you could've been a Palace supporter calling for Dougies head...where would you rather be...2 games 1 draw F 0...A 1 Or games2 losses 2 F...3 A...7

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here