Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet: I'll go home

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
It's great to see Gus have such passion about "his" style of play, totally agree about the throwing toys out of pram, ect but that's Gus and we won't change the man.

All I would say is that at present for what ever reason "his" style of play just isn't working and we don't seem to have a decent Plan B. This was so clear in the Palace game, played them off the park for 20 minutes, they step up and stop us from playing and we just stopped.

Gus is inexperienced and still learning management and while I love his passion he really needs to curb it, from this thread it's clear some people are losing patience, not calling for his head just losing patience.

Not too sure how Mr Bloom will take to these comments as the club have made funds available to Gus and at the end of the day whether it's right or not it's down to the manager and his coaching staff to get things back on track. It's not all bad we are not getting hammered we just need to get one win and we are back on track.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
When I read that quote, to do with going home, I read it as follows:

IF after all the training that we've done, and knowing what my mantra is to do with the ball once we are on the pitch, and the players then decide to ignore how I want them to play and do their own thing instead, then what is the point of me being here to coach them if they are not going to listen to me? I might as well go home.

THAT's how I understand it!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
And let's be clear - at other Premier League or Championship clubs, a run of 4 points out of 27 and no win in 10 around this time of year would CERTAINLY have people calling for the manager's head.

Before everyone starts accusing Albion fans of being hysterical, I haven't seen ONE person say that, even on a wind-up. A lot of the observations have been pretty constructive, showing we all buy in to what Gus is trying to do.

yeh and a heck of a lot aren't

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Just to be clear. I think his style of play is the right way to play. It wins games. However, you need to be fast and accurate.

The players have not been either of those things in recent games. We need to move the ball QUICKER. For the first 20 minutes against Palace we were pinging it about like there was no tomorrow. Since then. We haven't.

In my opinion it all boils down to confidence. The players need to have confidence in their ability and they need to listen to their manager.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
When I read that quote, to do with going home, I read it as follows:

IF after all the training that we've done, and knowing what my mantra is to do with the ball once we are on the pitch, and the players then decide to ignore how I want them to play and do their own thing instead, then what is the point of me being here to coach them if they are not going to listen to me? I might as well go home.

THAT's how I understand it!

It's quite sad that something so obvious seems to be (deliberately?) misconstrued.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I have said previously that the true mettle of a manager is when things are not going well and hopefully Gus will pull things round.
However,I do not subscribe to the 'Gus can do no wrong' camp and whilst we accept his Latin temperament sometimes gets the better of him,he does himself no favours by flouncing and usually blaming everybody and everything but himself.The buck stops with him and whilst he still has the support of the overwhelming majority of fans, he must grow up or else patience will run out.
Flounces can be tolerated to a point if the team is doing o.k.;but if it is not,they will bite him in the arse!

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
The real problem is that Gus wants PL style football with what are basically League one players. He keeps telling us to be patient, but he needs to calm down a little too. Survive the championship this year with a mid-table finish, improve the squad over the next two years and we will be prepared for the play-offs and possibly PL.
That of course depends on the amount of investment Tony is prepared to invest of course.
The "I'll go home" quotes are quite beneath him to be honest.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Ig Gus does decide to go home he wont ever be a top class manager. Keeganess syle flounce when things get tough.

He needs to do better than he is doing at the moment and this from a massive GP fan. He looks lost at the moment

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I have said previously that the true mettle of a manager is when things are not going well and hopefully Gus will pull things round.
However,I do not subscribe to the 'Gus can do no wrong' camp and whilst we accept his Latin temperament sometimes gets the better of him,he does himself no favours by flouncing and usually blaming everybody and everything but himself.The buck stops with him and whilst he still has the support of the overwhelming majority of fans, he must grow up or else patience will run out.
Flounces can be tolerated to a point if the team is doing o.k.;but if it is not,they will bite him in the arse!

He does blame himself now and then.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I can't think of a single top manager who regularly threatens to flounce off if things don't go his way. It isn't what the fans, and perhaps more importantly the players or the chairman, want to hear.

I can.........................

Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger

mind you, things don't tend to not go their way for very long

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Is Gus becoming the 'Ronnie O'Sullivan' of football?

'I can't handle playing this badly, I'm going to pack it in. I don't need the money, it's for love, and if there's no love, that's me done.'

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
All I would say is that at present for what ever reason "his" style of play just isn't working and we don't seem to have a decent Plan B. This was so clear in the Palace game, played them off the park for 20 minutes, they step up and stop us from playing and we just stopped.

His style of play does work - but only when executed properly, and, as he puts it, it is 'high risk'. Some numpties in the team last night put in place this mythical Plan B - hoofball - as called for by some on here, and it was of course f***ing shit. Did Gus tell them to do that? Evidently not, but they still did it. Those are the sorts of things (players doing as they are told) Gus has to sort out.

His' 'I'll go home' comment was a public admonishment of his players, NOT a threat or statement of intent. He has a fine mind for colourful language, and for so many people to take him at his literal word is a bit on the facepalm spectrum.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Blah blah blah. Thats all I hear from this thread... I guess the players just "need a cuddle" as Adams might have said? For goodness sake, he's making a point about the quality of the game. He's not actually going to go home is he? He's hacked off that his players ignored him and rightly so. I'm sure he's had very stern words with all of them and ensured they follow his instructions in future.

The whining on this site is embarassing sometimes...

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
For some reason, this thread reminded me of this

[yt]vMqSmiC_xHg[/yt]
Indeed but it does appear that Gus got his handbag out first by threatening to 'go home'. How does that motivate players I wonder. Great respect for the man and all he has done. Lets get behind the team on Sunday and prove that we are good enough - because we are.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Plan B to me isnt hoofball its this:

However, you need to be fast and accurate.

The players have not been either of those things in recent games. We need to move the ball QUICKER. .

Not get to past the halfway line then BACK to the keeper.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
His' 'I'll go home' comment was a public admonishment of his players, NOT a threat or statement of intent. He has a fine mind for colourful language, and for so many people to take him at his literal word is, as some might say on here, embarrassing.

Firstly, you have as much (or perhaps little) of a clue as anyone else. You have no idea about what he did or didn't mean over and above the words spoken, unless he telephoned you personally last night. The bottom line is, he has said it several times last night. He has said it at least twice previously this season. It is very doubtful he is on the next plane to Montevideo, but it might be an idea if someone who doesn't have their head up his arse just has a quiet word and suggests it doesn't sound great. Maybe Oatway.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
OK so for those going on saying "get a grip" "fully behind Gus" and all the other very positive things I'd just like to understand the logic.

I'm firmly on the fence at the moment and don't know what's wrong except I know we look pretty fragile and lack any real purpose to our game and have seen some pretty (supposedly) mediocre sides look pretty menacing compared to us.

So I'm just curious where the "can't do anything wrong" view comes from. Gus got us out of a pretty average league 1 and total credit to him for that. Our last few games in League 1 were nothing special but we were up Champions so what the hell ... enjoy!. He spends a fair bit of dough in the close season (nothing like West Ham/Leicester) but a lot more than the likes of Donny/Bristol/Millwall even Southampton ... and more .. we get off to a good start but now we've pretty well gone off the rails. Before us he was Asst Mangager at Spurs with Ramos .. which wasn't a brilliant time and before that at Leeds as Asst manager where they got relegated to League 1

So .. lot's of comments about inexperience and give him time but I wonder if there's any basis in fact for attacking those that are questioning what's going on? ... just asking

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
His' 'I'll go home' comment was a public admonishment of his players, NOT a threat or statement of intent. He has a fine mind for colourful language, and for so many people to take him at his literal word is a bit on the facepalm spectrum.

So your theory is correct and everyone else's is wrong. I'd love your powers of absolute deduction, puts my mind at ease that we have such a sage on NSC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here