Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet: I'll go home

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
So this is the situation.

- Manager tells players how to play in order to have the best chance of beating Watford.
- Players don't listen and do what they think.
- Brighton lose as a result of not listening.
- Manager says he might as well go home if the players aren't going to listen

I can see exactly why Gus has reacted like this. The players need a kick up the arse.

Indeed they do. I hope Gus does it himself & refrains from getting players to kick each other up the backsides - as most of them would miss their target by yards.

ps What does he actually mean by this "I'll go home" nonsense? Does he mean go home to Surrey & sulk; or bugger off to Uraguay (where presumably he hasn't lived for decades now)? :shrug:

Last edited:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
For a guy that criticises fans that leave early for not showing enough support, you are really helping with those words of wisdom! Hypercritical cock of the highest order.

Who the f*** are you you f***ing mong? I was there last night and stayed until the end, where were you?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I just don't think Gus is the sort of manager who needs the job (because of the money), or will take the hassle & I can see him flouncing off Monday am.

I can't believe his connection to the Albion is as flimsy as that, not if everything he has said when results were going better is to be believed. And 'taking the hassle' - well, that's being a manager, isn't it? It isn't going to get better anywhere else, or at least nowhere half-decent.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
So this is the situation.

- Manager tells players how to play in order to have the best chance of beating Watford.
- Players don't listen and do what they think.
- Brighton lose as a result of not listening.
- Manager says he might as well go home if the players aren't going to listen

I can see exactly why Gus has reacted like this. The players need a kick up the arse.

I completely agree, maybe the kick up the backside to the players will make them realise exactly what Gus expects of them. I am of course disapointed at our recent bad run but believe that this is all it is and Gus will get the team playing the right way, we just need a win to settle the nerves and stop the panicking ( both players & fans). We've come a bloody long way and I can't for one minute believe that we will be relegated this season. Hopefully the win we need will be this Sunday. Gus and the team need our help to show true support and get behind the team. KEEP THE FAITH!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
He has all the time in the world to turn it around, but reactions like this do him no favours. He needs to get off his high horse, take some responsibility, concede some things just aren't working and put it right. Petulant comments like this make him sound like he doesn't give a f***, which will only cause divides.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
And take my ball and stumps with me, and tell my mummy. I don't like you boys anymore.........f*** sake Poyet grow up and take some responsibility, nothing is ever this guy fault is it?....

he said the West Ham defeat was entirely his fault didn't he?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
For crying out loud, it's a figure of speech. He's not actually going to go home. English isn't even his first language and he's got its subtleties and nuances better worked out than most of its native speakers, it would appear.

:lolol:

I'm sure some of the earlier posters in this thread were visualising Poyet getting a Taxi to Heathrow at half time because we were losing, on the phone to the Travel agent "one way ticket to Montevideo plees"

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
And let's be clear - at other Premier League or Championship clubs, a run of 4 points out of 27 and no win in 10 around this time of year would CERTAINLY have people calling for the manager's head.

Before everyone starts accusing Albion fans of being hysterical, I haven't seen ONE person say that, even on a wind-up. A lot of the observations have been pretty constructive, showing we all buy in to what Gus is trying to do.

terryberry

Jul 9, 2011
I know i will be in a minority here, but I don't think gus is up to the job anymore. In League 1 his tactic's worked but the Championship is a bridge too far for him. We over achieved at the start of the season but now have been found out. We have have no plan B and gus has no intentions of changing the way we play. If he want's to go home then let him go. He is no longer untouchable.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Gus is not the Messiah we thought he was. He is human after all ala Daft Punk. He is clearly starting the lose the plot though and needs to get a grip.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Sorry he LOOKS a bit on the Maradona side. Maybe because he's always throwing his arms in the air.

I was listening to the radio last night and when it became clear towards the end Albion were resorting to "Route 1" I DID wonder how Poyet was going to cope with that, I thought he had told them to try it because of the surprise element, with Paynter now available to hold the ball up.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Gus has a lot of support from the fans, I would keep supporting him even if we were to be relegated, but if he keeps coming out with statements like this I can see patience dwindling rapidly.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Sorry he LOOKS a bit on the Maradona side. Maybe because he's always throwing his arms in the air.

I was listening to the radio last night and when it became clear towards the end Albion were resorting to "Route 1" I DID wonder how Poyet was going to cope with that, I thought he had told them to try it because of the surprise element, with Paynter now available to hold the ball up.

Why were you listening to a Brighton game on the radio when your own side were playing at home? Not a dig, just curious like.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Looks like Maradona? Are you mental?

Slim, elegant, 6'2".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here