Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet: I'll go home

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Take some f***ing responsibility poyet its your team ffs

For a guy that criticises fans that leave early for not showing enough support, you are really helping with those words of wisdom! Hypercritical cock of the highest order.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He has achieved much so far, however, if we lose at home on Sunday, I think he may walk out of the club Monday morning.

I agree with a lot of the rest - but why would he do that? It would be a complete admission of failure. We'd all agree he isn't going to get sacked if we lose on Sunday, even though that would be a body-blow.

But if he was to leave, presumably it would be saying 'the players aren't good enough to play my way'. But he signed a lot of them, and coached the others. Maybe he'd blame the fans. The ones who sing his name every game. As well as it being good for us, Gus isn't going to get a better platform than this to really make a name for himself.

And the fact that he isn't getting MORE criticism after such a terrible run is proof of the esteem he is held in by the fans.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I can't think of a single top manager who regularly threatens to flounce off if things don't go his way. It isn't what the fans, and perhaps more importantly the players or the chairman, want to hear.
I'm confident about Poyet turning things around, but he doesn't want to try and bluff TB. Clearly, TB is the most important person at the club, and Poyet would do well to remind himself of that.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Will he go straight home or will he go home and then play golf like he said after the Donny game. (and how we laughed after that quote)
Sort it out Gustavo. Home or golf.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
I'd prefer it if he stayed. He hasn't had to deal with as poor a run as this as a manager, it will be a period of learning for him, Tanno, the team and the fans. We are in a tough league, and we need to man the f*** up as a collective unit - BHAFC - and all that are involved in it.

Memories are short here it seems

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Gus is learning. He doesn't have much Championship experience and there will be mistakes, dud signings, and tactics that backfire. Let's not kid ourselves that it will be an easy ride, this season or next, but we might as well strap ourselves in and enjoy it. It will take a while before Gus has a team of players capable of playing the way he wants, and getting results from it, but it will happen. Allow him the odd hissy fit, it's part of the deal.
Agree with this. He's still a young and inexperienced manager. We are still a team in transition and I suspect the side which finishes the season will barely be recognisable to the one which began against Doncaster. Having said that I'm slightly concerned that there may not be much more money to spend to strengthen the squad. I still think we'll be ok this season but the club may well have underestimated how good the Championship is. For now, a win against Barnsley is vital to steady the nerves.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
i'd prefer it if he stayed. He hasn't had to deal with as poor a run as this as a manager, it will be a period of learning for him, tanno, the team and the fans. We are in a tough league, and we need to man the f*** up as a collective unit - bhafc - and all that are involved in it.

Memories are short here it seems

this!!!!!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Go on lads, keep moaning about Poyet and his pathetic comments. You're quite right and with luck he'll decide he's had enough and walk out. Just as long as Ellis Short is on the phone immediately making Gus an offer he can't refuse so we can take the best manager in your history off your hands. Gus Poyet isn't just a good manager, he's going to be a great manager; and ten matches without a win doesn't alter that.

Quite right! Where as Steve Bruce is a shit manager and no amount of experience at big clubs will alter that. What the f*** do chairmen see in him? I just don't get it.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
he sounds like a pigheaded idiot........his comments are terrible.....so if greer has no bridcutt or vicente to pass to, what is he supposed to do, dribble it around tough fast powerful forwards....no, he will kick it.

too many on here are gus is god, he isnt - and if he does a "i dont care, i will go home" (terrible attitude) and goes home, then there will be a massive queue of decent managers putting their cv in.

i want him to stay but his attitude sucks sometimes....after west ham "we are back"....err no we werent - we huffed and puffed and played like barcelona in our own half when 0-1 down - means nothing.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
I totally believe that GUS will turn it around & would not be surprised if we are the first team to beat the south coast club at St Marys.

However that said I am a little worried how he is going to motivate the players when he has openly said he does not believe Confidence has anything to do with it, when after the last performance it clearly does.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
he sounds like a pigheaded idiot........his comments are terrible.....so if greer has no bridcutt or vicente to pass to, what is he supposed to do, dribble it around tough fast powerful forwards....no, he will kick it.

too many on here are gus is god, he isnt - and if he does a "i dont care, i will go home" (terrible attitude) and goes home, then there will be a massive queue of decent managers putting their cv in.

i want him to stay but his attitude sucks sometimes....after west ham "we are back"....err no we werent - we huffed and puffed and played like barcelona in our own half when 0-1 down - means nothing.

I blame Mossad.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Being a Manager is a tough job, tougher than any of us can imagine, but still doesn't stop us spouting our own unqualified opinions.

Poyet isnt just a manager but he has his own 'unique brand' of play which maybe makes it even more personal when it is questioned.

He is South American it isn't in their DNA to smash it long, sometimes it might seem laborious and negative, especially when were not winning.

He is unlikely to change his style, more likely he will change the players that will hopefully make his brand of football into effective and winning football, but this will take time and money.

This season we are likely to be a mid-table side ( accepting good or bad luck might tip us towards relegation fears or play off euphoria ) and this currently reflects our status in terms of money spent and where we are in the clubs current building process.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Personally I wish Poyet would put his boots on and show the players how its DONE.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think you could aim that comment at the manager in the light of some of his recent comments. I don't think anyone on this thread has questioned Gus's ability just his rather childish reaction to fans not being happy and his players not playing very well.

Nope, I'm aiming it at some fans.

For crying out loud, it's a figure of speech. He's not actually going to go home. English isn't even his first language and he's got its subtleties and nuances better worked out than most of its native speakers, it would appear.

Silverfox

Aug 1, 2011
Eastbourne
My first post on here so be easy with me.

Remember that this is not Gus's club. Tony Bloom is a very clever business man. Someone told me that his closest friends always say that everything he touches turns to gold. It will eventually, but Rome was not built in a day.

As for Gus, he is learning and the last thing he wants to do is go home. Gus will be wanting to build a portfolio to sell to the top sides in the world. Walking out on Brighton will do that no good at all. Yes, his comments can be childish, some of his buys not the best, but he will get there. If for any reason he doesn't, Mr Bloom will intervene.

And one final point, when we were signing Lua Lua there were numerous medicals called in due to insurance. So I guess at some point if we have paid £1m for someone who can never play we can claim on our policy? Or doesn't it work like that?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
From BBC Sport website:

Brighton manager Gus Poyet was disappointed with his team's display but promised he would not change his philosophy of stylish football in order to stop the run of poor results.

He said:
"I don't remember the last time we were so poor. We got what we deserved.

"We've got a way of playing football that's my way, we're trying to create an identity in the football club that's mine and at the moment the team is not capable of passing and moving the ball and playing football.

"Reasons? I can start crying that we're missing important players, blah, blah, blah... it doesn't matter. When you've got the chance to jump in there and you train one way to play that way and don't perform, there's no excuses."
A much more measured response.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
So this is the situation.

- Manager tells players how to play in order to have the best chance of beating Watford.
- Players don't listen and do what they think.
- Brighton lose as a result of not listening.
- Manager says he might as well go home if the players aren't going to listen

I can see exactly why Gus has reacted like this. The players need a kick up the arse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here