Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet: I'll go home

TottonSFC

Oct 19, 2011
Why do you think Gus is a messiah? He got you promoted granted, but Paul Jewell did more with Wigan, Phil Brown did more with Hull, Roy Keane did more with Sunderland, Tony Pulis did more with Stoke, Ian Holloway with Blackpool, Paul Lambert with Norwich etc etc

You need to learn that he's not a world beater yet, no matter how much you want him to be. He's a pathetic man who moans at everything, comparing Saints to Dagenham and Redbridge but with Ricky Lambert, what a clown!

But I think he'll come good and I'm not doubting he has the ability to reach the top, just needs to sort his attitude out!

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The passing has to be quicker,more accurate,and more direct,not allowing teams to get behind the ball,and just wait.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Ok, with regards to our style of football not working - bollocks - we've learn't in recent weeks that we need a couple of extra players to help us continue to play that way, but we have on the whole continued to play our football.

We didn't last night - that doesn't mean we suddenly can't play passing football. Its got far more to do with us not having Bridcutt and Dicker in the middle who are the two key players for us when it comes to playing our way.

As for threatening to walk, stop being so precious. I have got no problem with him saying that at all. I would be far more worried if he said that to the players and they said go on then. The players believe in Gus, they respect him and they want to perform for him. They know they are lucky to play for him, and its that aura that brings out the extra 10% in the players. So yeah, if he needs to motivate them by threatening to walk, thats fine by me, the sign of a top class manager.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
we are playing against these pseudo premiership sides who have seen arsenal and the like knocking it about

For my sins (my company had hospitality and I had to host) I had to go watch Arsenal for 2 years up to middle of last year. They didn't play at all like us, yes they kept it down and yes they moved it about but they had huge drive and purpose and moved it through midfield very very quickly. No we haven't got Nasri and Fabregas and nor will we get players of anything like that calibre so that implies to me we have limited options:

1) Carry on passing the ball around our back 4 and then giving it away in MF
2) Change the way we play
3) Look for new players
4) The players we have injured are the answer?

I think we have a good squad of players, I have criticised some performances but overall I think we have a team more than capable of holding there own in this league. I don't think experience comes into it ... it's football at a better level and better applied, not rocket science and won't take an eternity to work out. They are just not playing very well ... I'm not close enough to know why not but I am concerned about it not getting better any time soon

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Well fairpoint, but I think my comment offered a wee bit more than that.

You did indeed, so fair play to you. I just wish he'd said something similar; left his "I'll go home" rubbish out of the public realm; and provided us with something which was vaguely encouraging after such a shit-sounding performance. He better sort it for Sunday, otherwise I can see major wobblies being thrown in the stands: & a hitherto unsurpassed flounce from the manager post-match.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Agree his style of play does work, sadly opposition have worked out how to play against it. As I stated Palace defended higher and pressed the ball we run out of ideas, West Ham just put eleven bodies behind the ball and almost let us play across the back and midfield, great to watch us pass it about but West Ham pressed the ball when we finally looked like making a positive pass and stopped us from playing.
These are Gus's players and should be able to properly execute his style, he bought them and they have not all come cheap.
I think Gus is a good manager but now is the time for him to prove his worth of a 5 year contract and turn it round, it was only 6 weeks ago we where all crowing about top 6 finish that can still happen with hard work on and off the pitch.

For me, a bit yes and a bit no.

At present, I feel we're playing within ourselves, with a certain amount of fear and not enough confidence. There are always ways to break down the most determined of defences and the change of tactic of the other team. However, I think that currently there are only about three or four players intelligent enough and up to speed about the nuances of a changing game to immediately realise this without being told (IMO - Tano, Jara Reyes, Vicente, CMS) with the quality to match. If we had a team of eleven players capable of doing that, there wouldn't be any discussion about Gus.

For me, it's about the individual decision-making process in any given incident. As Sir Rantsalot has said on here, we're attacking, looking threatening etc. then played it back to the keeper. Even if we had a shot, it makes the other team's defence think a little. I wouldn't say the opposition defence get into a safety zone, but realising that a shot is not forthcoming means that's one thing less to worry about.

Getting some decent passes from out wide that don't unerringly land on an opponent's head would help though.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Of course this isn't pleasant, but it's just as easy to put a bit more of a positive spin on things. It could be worse, we could be on NINE points.

There was ALWAYS going to be a point where teams figured our main plan out. Gus has already made an effort by bringing in Paynter but with the lack of midfield players fit he is kind of limited at the mo.

Yes we haven't WON in quite a few, but this doom and gloom is actually PATHETIC.

When you take the matches as INDIVIDUALS they aren't TERRIBLE.

We're not being thumped 4's and 5's and we have some credible results in that run. However when they are all back-to-back it looks MUCH worse.

3-3 at home to Leeds after being 2 down is not bad. Sadly the last min goal ruined it
Palace - Bad
Ipswich - many will go there and lose. Hardly a disgrace
Hull draw at home. Hull had the best away record at that point.
Millwall away 1-1. should have won. good away draw
West Ham lost. League fave's. Played well
Birmingham away draw. I count that as a good result
Watford. Bad

So I would say out of them there are 2 bad results. Sadly having all them in a row makes it look like a 'crisis'

I never thought being 11th in the championship, 4 points off the playoffs, with many excellent players due to come back into the team, 18 months after nearly being relegated to league two was a 'crisis' but there you go...

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
Oh dear, there are some poor wee over-sensitive souls on here, aren't there?

You mean like Gus - threatening to go home at the first sign of trouble in his managerial career? That is way too over-sensitive

The fixtures computer hasn't helped matters - it gave us a decent start followed by a nightmare October. Infact, I'd go as far as to say that we have beaten every team I would expect us to beat this season with the exception of Watford - but then we take three points off Cardiff so that balances those two results out

Trouble is expectations were raised to an unrealistic level by our start. Balance our record out over the season and it's about where we should be - the fact we haven't won in nine is what is causing the panic but once we get that monkey off our back we'll be fine

Providing of course that Poyet isn't genuinely going to have a spectacular toys out of the pram moment and quit

Last edited:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Cant be bothered to read through all of this, but my two penneth worth. I dont think the style of the football is the problem, its that currently we dont have the players to do it. We are a slow team, but its not neccesarily that the players are slow in pace, its because to play the pass and move game, they have to play the ball at a pace that enables them to control the ball. Maybe a few of them can only control the ball at a slower pace. Better players can control the ball, pass and move quickly.
Certainly we should have kept hold of Murray, that would have given us two strikers who know where the net is, plus with Murray you get height. It was also obvious that we needed strenthening in the defensive areas of the team - but not one defensive (defence and defensive midfield) player came in during the summer. That is Poyets fault.

Dont get me wrong I love Poyet. But to play his type of football at this level you probably need a team nearer to Swanseas as opposed to ours which is good for L1 but which is finding it very very difficult.

I think January might be interesting, cos I think we need better players even to stay in this league.

watford?

Nov 2, 2011
While I'm here, I might as well give my two cents.

From what I saw yesterday, that loss was not a fault of the players, but of the plan. You have good players. Barnsley have a team of unwanted League Two players for Christ's sake! We spent last season with 7 first team players and all the rest being academy kids, you have a good squad with no lack of quality.

What was absolutely obvious from the off yesterday was that our plan was to close you down right up to your keeper, at every opportunity. What happened? Your players had no time, no space and ended up hoofing it away or passing off the pitch under pressure.

That is not the fault of the players, it is the fault of the tactics and the gameplan. I was surprised to see Poyet launch such scathing attacks on his players post-match - they were forced to go long because they had no time to play their football! They aren't Barcelona - they can't create space out of nothing and waltz around five players.

From the little I have gleaned from BHA fans, whenever a team presses you deep, you lose. That is not the fault of your players. Poyet needs to start looking a bit deeper than that, in my humble opinion.

Tis all from me anyway, who cares what a Watford fan thinks eh? Cheerio.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

From what I saw yesterday, that loss was not a fault of the players, but of the plan. You have good players. Barnsley have a team of unwanted League Two players for Christ's sake! We spent last season with 7 first team players and all the rest being academy kids, you have a good squad with no lack of quality.

What was absolutely obvious from the off yesterday was that our plan was to close you down right up to your keeper, at every opportunity. What happened? Your players had no time, no space and ended up hoofing it away or passing off the pitch under pressure.

That is not the fault of the players, it is the fault of the tactics and the gameplan. I was surprised to see Poyet launch such scathing attacks on his players post-match - they were forced to go long because they had no time to play their football! They aren't Barcelona - they can't create space out of nothing and waltz around five players.

From the little I have gleaned from BHA fans, whenever a team presses you deep, you lose. That is not the fault of your players. Poyet needs to start looking a bit deeper than that, in my humble opinion.

You're completely right though.

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield

Spot on - can somebody send this to Gus. Obviously with fingers crossed that he doesn't suffer a breakdown at it

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
At least ET had the common decency to phone first.

E-T-wallpaper-2.jpg

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Pretty accurate I'd say. From our point of view, we're going to worry that surely it can't be as easy to stop us as just pressing up on our back four and goalkeeper. Because if it is, everyone's going to do it (and they are). And we need an alternative, or a 'counter-measure', to be effective in a match.

If a Barnsley scout/manager was there last night, that is what they will have taken away. Let's just hope either a) we play better or b) they are not as good at it.

watford?

Nov 2, 2011
Pretty accurate I'd say. From our point of view, we're going to worry that surely it can't be as easy to stop us as just pressing up on our back four and goalkeeper. Because if it is, everyone's going to do it (and they are). And we need an alternative, or a 'counter-measure', to be effective in a match.

If a Barnsley scout/manager was there last night, that is what they will have taken away. Let's just hope either a) we play better or b) they are not as good at it.

I think that is exactly what they will have taken away.

I would imagine last season teams did the same thing, but you simply passed around them. Problem is that you are up against Championship defences now, and no disrespect, but you can't expect to simply pass around players with the same freedom you did in League One. You need far more pace and athleticism to get around bigger, stronger, quicker players. I mean we have Nosworthy and Kightly on loan, and we aren't even a big team. Nosworthy is superb at this level, and Kightly has the Championship assist record, even though he is a crock.

The only concern for Brighton IMO is that Poyet seems to be blaming everybody except himself. You can't just order a team to play like Barcelona, you have to take into account what you opposition is going to do and how you are going to counter it. Smacks slightly of arrogance to expect to just be able to pass around teams at this sort of level every week. You need graft, you need grit and you need to be able to adapt to your opposition, and I think he would do well to look at what he is doing as well as his players.

I feel I might be erring on the patronising, which is entirely unintended. Just giving my opinion is all, please don't take it the wrong way.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I feel I might be erring on the patronising, which is entirely unintended. Just giving my opinion is all, please don't take it the wrong way.

Not at all, you just sound like someone who knows the Championship very well. The fact is that even the so-called weaker teams and bookies' favourites to go down have some good players, and plenty of nous. If you're taking liberties or are well below par, you will lose.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
When you take the matches as INDIVIDUALS they aren't TERRIBLE.

We're not being thumped 4's and 5's and we have some credible results in that run. However when they are all back-to-back it looks MUCH worse.

3-3 at home to Leeds after being 2 down is not bad. Sadly the last min goal ruined it
Palace - Bad
Ipswich - many will go there and lose. Hardly a disgrace
Hull draw at home. Hull had the best away record at that point.
Millwall away 1-1. should have won. good away draw
West Ham lost. League fave's. Played well
Birmingham away draw. I count that as a good result
Watford. Bad

I like your positive spin and agree in everything but your Leeds and Palace comments. From where we were the Leeds result was very bad and the Palace one wasn't bad, it was spectacularly abominable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here