Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter- what’s he up to?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
You seem determined to put words into my mouth to provide a patsy for your very pro-Potterness. 😉

It is normal for Managers to depart with their coaching teams - Potter did more than that though. If he’d just left with Bjorn and Billy, it wouldn’t have reflected so badly in him but he also took Ben Roberts and Bruno with him - then came back for Winstanley and promised to come back for 2 of our top players . He took members of staff that had been at the Club far longer than he had and did it in the middle of the season to go to a Club that most people with any savvy would have known would not have suited someone that likes to build a team from the ground up and develop young players - to a Club that has an impatient owner and an even more impatient and entitled fan base. The silly money Chelsea offered made him myopic to what he was getting into.

However, I did not say that he had been rejected by PL Clubs because of how (more specifically when) he left Brighton - I just said he probably hasn’t endeared himself much.

Top flight Football moves on very quickly and the standards are getting higher and higher and the game itself develops - no coach wants to be out of the game for extended periods imo.

A lot of us thought that reason he was not yet signed to another club was because he was holding onto England aspirations - then Carsley was moved up despite Potter being available.

Now he’s taken a pundit job for Sky Sport.

So what then do you think is going on?
No idea what you're on about. Potter "taking Winstanley" and "promised to come back for 2 of our top players" - none of this happened. There's no chance Graham Potter was in charge of appointing the recruitment team. Likely Potter has as much to do with that move as the lad who moved to the Chelsea recruitment team last summer. The "two players" you are talking about - who would that be and when was that "promise" made?

What I think "is going on" is that Potter is being very selective about his next club.
Absolutely ZERO percent chance that happened or will ever happen. More chance than we sign Harland and Palmer together in the Jan transfer window than Potter ever had or has the chance of returning to BHAFC as the Manager.
Ok bro.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
You seem determined to put words into my mouth to provide a patsy for your very pro-Potterness. 😉

It is normal for Managers to depart with their coaching teams - Potter did more than that though. If he’d just left with Bjorn and Billy, it wouldn’t have reflected so badly in him but he also took Ben Roberts and Bruno with him - then came back for Winstanley and promised to come back for 2 of our top players . He took members of staff that had been at the Club far longer than he had and did it in the middle of the season to go to a Club that most people with any savvy would have known would not have suited someone that likes to build a team from the ground up and develop young players - to a Club that has an impatient owner and an even more impatient and entitled fan base. The silly money Chelsea offered made him myopic to what he was getting into.

However, I did not say that he had been rejected by PL Clubs because of how (more specifically when) he left Brighton - I just said he probably hasn’t endeared himself much.

Top flight Football moves on very quickly and the standards are getting higher and higher and the game itself develops - no coach wants to be out of the game for extended periods imo.

A lot of us thought that reason he was not yet signed to another club was because he was holding onto England aspirations - then Carsley was moved up despite Potter being available.

Now he’s taken a pundit job for Sky Sport.

So what then do you think is going on?
Did Potter take them or did Chelsea's management think , we will have Potter and his support (that includes the goal keeping coach) and we will have their head of recruitment which is a bit ironic given they have probably the best academy in English football

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Absolutely ZERO percent chance that happened or will ever happen. More chance than we sign Harland and Palmer together in the Jan transfer window than Potter ever had or has the chance of returning to BHAFC as the Manager.
All those scenarios are, at the very least, highly unlikely - but the double signing of Haaland and Palmer in January is even more unlikely than Potter returning at any time.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Did Potter take them or did Chelsea's management think , we will have Potter and his support (that includes the goal keeping coach) and we will have their head of recruitment which is a bit ironic given they have probably the best academy in English football
Both I imagine.

But they wouldn’t have left if Potter hadn’t taken the Chelsea job - they followed him so yes ‘taken’ in a figurative way of speaking.

Potter didn’t take Winstanley when he left but I can imagine the conversation once Potter had his legs under the table at Chelsea - heh Ted, you know you said you wanted to improve Chelsea’s recruitment department, I know this great guy at Brighton, you really need to get him in here - oh and I think Trossard wants to come in January etc etc

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I know he was offered the Sweden manager gig, so thats my 100%. Club jobs, ok, I'm not 100%.

But ok, top flight Premier League clubs you say - maybe he's had offers, maybe not. It is not an universal truth that managing a broke Leicester or Everton is a nicer, better, finer or bigger gig than coaching Ajax or Feyenoord. Many will see it that way, others won't.

As for the "manner of his departure", none of the clubs are going to be "worried about Potter doing to them what he did to us". That's not how anything works. They weren't sitting around in Leicester thinking "dear God what if he keeps our bottom predicted team up for two years before taking us into top 10, all while helping the club making a transfer profit, and finally gets us performing to the point where top 4 club wants him! Oh! The terror!"

Or when it looked like McKenna was leaving Ipswich, did you think they sat in the board room contemplating successors, immediately ruling out Potter: "he took BRUNO!!! Can't hire him. What's Tony Pulis up to these days?"

Its just completely unreal to imagine that clubs would pick a different manager because of Potter asking if Robert Sanchez personal carer and some random former right back wanted to secure their personal finances for the rest of their lives.

I'm not saying that Potter has necessarily been the first choice for any PL club - although I think so - but the idea that clubs are rejecting him for bringing the rest of the coaching team to a new club... its deluded.
Definitely NOT Brighton. According to someone who should know there was a chat but he wasn’t offered a thing.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Apparently going to analyse Chelsea - Brighton. Will be rather interesting to see... if I can be arsed. Don't normally watch any punditry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here