Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter watch

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not sure this is necessarily a betting thing. Brighton supporters do not want their manager to move on and at the moment the rumours have him a rather hot favourite for Spurs with the bookies. I would personally prefer him to be an outsider at 50 to 1 and breathe rather more easily if he was. I will continue to watch with interest.

If there's rumours with substance, of course it turns worrying. But there isnt - just a bunch of guesswork. Despite the "Potter to Spurs" rumour being around for more than a month with Potter occasionally reaching the top of these useless bookie lists, there still hasnt been one remotely reliable source indicating he is going to pack his bags and go.

When these rumours has been mentioned, PB said "As far as we are concerned there is absolutely no way we would allow Graham to leave at this time”, and GP responded to that by saying there was really no need for PB to even say so as he feel he is far from done with Brighton. The club doesnt want him to leave, he doesnt want to leave, and despite exactly everything leaking from Spurs, none of the usual sources says they have even approached Brighton/him.

If we then take into account that GP previously worked in a chaotic club with a complicated financial situation and said "if I knew what I know now, I wouldnt have taken the job", it turns even more unlikely.

There is no need to worry.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Finishing 16th was all part of the masterplan. If we'd actually won a few of the games we totally fluffed and finished 11th he'd be off.

The man is a genius.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
If there's rumours with substance, of course it turns worrying. But there isnt - just a bunch of guesswork. Despite the "Potter to Spurs" rumour being around for more than a month with Potter occasionally reaching the top of these useless bookie lists, there still hasnt been one remotely reliable source indicating he is going to pack his bags and go.

When these rumours has been mentioned, PB said "As far as we are concerned there is absolutely no way we would allow Graham to leave at this time”, and GP responded to that by saying there was really no need for PB to even say so as he feel he is far from done with Brighton. The club doesnt want him to leave, he doesnt want to leave, and despite exactly everything leaking from Spurs, none of the usual sources says they have even approached Brighton/him.

If we then take into account that GP previously worked in a chaotic club with a complicated financial situation and said "if I knew what I know now, I wouldnt have taken the job", it turns even more unlikely.

There is no need to worry.

What's interesting about your post, is that we all know Brighton have a plan and a project. And Potter has talked about how we try to do things differently here and the club's strength is everyone buying into that. And saying he's far from done with Brighton, shows how he sees that project.

Then you compare that to Spurs, who seem to have no idea what they're doing, with Levy wanting one thing, their DOF wanting something else. Chopping and changing targets. They have no plan, and clearly they aren't all on the same page. I can't see how that would appeal to Potter or how that would fit his skill set. If they want a manger of Potter's style to come in and achieve something, they will need to fix their boardroom first, and get themselves aligned in how they want the club to move forward, otherwise it would be a waste of time appointing someone like Potter. I think Potter recognises that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The only way GPott takes the job is if he has a massive case of Imposter Syndrome - that would be quite something.
If he's scared that he's only a bottom 6 manager then he needs to take the Spurs job.

Those of you, on here, who are saying 'take the job, take the money, wait for the pay off' must be doing an awful lot of projecting themselves into the situation. (Writes a man who would jack it all in if he won a tenner on the lottery)

He's not taking the spurs job.
He'll back himself to Top 10 the Albion next season.
He'll walk straight into Old Trafford before the end of May '22.

The thought of taking over the wheel of the clown car that is Spurs will never cross his mind

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Finishing 16th was all part of the masterplan. If we'd actually won a few of the games we totally fluffed and finished 11th he'd be off.

The man is a genius.

Not just finished 16th.

Remember we spent nearly all season 16th or 17th, easy to forget when reading some of the hype here.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Tony Bloom or Daniel Levy. Who would you rather work for? Poll unnecessary.

Its a hard one. I am an engineer I could work as a machinist at a small metal bashing company on a good salary and a terrific boss...But then McLaren come along and offer me about the same money but not as nice a boss, as a young engineer who wants a good CV and some great experience working with the best people I go and work for McLaren,...as someone in there mid to late 50s I stay where I am.

Not comparing BHA to a small metal bashing shop or most defiantly spurs to a racing car but I hope you get my point.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Its a hard one. I am an engineer I could work as a machinist at a small metal bashing company on a good salary and a terrific boss...But then McLaren come along and offer me about the same money but not as nice a boss, as a young engineer who wants a good CV and some great experience working with the best people I go and work for McLaren,...as someone in there mid to late 50s I stay where I am.

Not comparing BHA to a small metal bashing shop or most defiantly spurs to a racing car but I hope you get my point.

If Potter went to Spurs he certainly wouldn't be on the same money as he is a Brighton!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
What's interesting about your post, is that we all know Brighton have a plan and a project. And Potter has talked about how we try to do things differently here and the club's strength is everyone buying into that. And saying he's far from done with Brighton, shows how he sees that project.

Then you compare that to Spurs, who seem to have no idea what they're doing, with Levy wanting one thing, their DOF wanting something else. Chopping and changing targets. They have no plan, and clearly they aren't all on the same page. I can't see how that would appeal to Potter or how that would fit his skill set. If they want a manger of Potter's style to come in and achieve something, they will need to fix their boardroom first, and get themselves aligned in how they want the club to move forward, otherwise it would be a waste of time appointing someone like Potter. I think Potter recognises that.

Exactly exactly.

As so often the case, we vastly undersell ourselves here. We are now arguably an established PL club. We have an actual long term plan, with a measurable trajectory that has only been going one way since we’ve been promoted. Ashworth. Paul Barber and of course Tony Bloom are an incredible infrastructure for any manager wanting to build something. Young talent coming through the u18s and 23’s that is only just starting to be realised.

Most supporters would love to have an owner like we do.
In fact most other clubs in the country point to Albion (yes, us) as being a model club to follow.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Exactly exactly.

As so often the case, we vastly undersell ourselves here. We are now arguably an established PL club. We have an actual long term plan, with a measurable trajectory that has only been going one way since we’ve been promoted. Ashworth. Paul Barber and of course Tony Bloom are an incredible infrastructure for any manager wanting to build something. Young talent coming through the u18s and 23’s that is only just starting to be realised.

In fact most other clubs in the country point to Albion (yes, us) as being a model club to follow.

Does Paul Barber write your posts?

We just finished lower in the division than in our first season in the Premier League. It's quite good spin to call our trajectory 'one way' but that's not really the case at all.

We have a team and manager with enormous potential and a bloody wealthy chairman.

We are a model club - but we've got a very challenging summer ahead with the need to shift a lot of dead wood, strengthen the attack and deal with interest in our best players.

We are doing well but however much of a mess Spurs are they are one of the biggest clubs in the continent, with the best stadium in the country and a salary far greater than anything in our budget. It would be no surprise if GPot had his head turned if the interest is genuine.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Exactly exactly.

A friend of mine who's a Newcastle fan living down here in Brighton, always tells me how jealous he is of Brighton as they have a plan, and it's really clear how the club want to do things. He tells me how Newcastle don't have any sort of plan. And this summer its become really apparent that clubs like Spurs and Everton don't either. A lot of clubs don't seem to be operating without any long term or strategic planning. We're so lucky with the way things are done at this club.

NorthLainer

Aug 12, 2011
Now available in Hove
Does Paul Barber write your posts?

We just finished lower in the division than in our first season in the Premier League. It's quite good spin to call our trajectory 'one way' but that's not really the case at all.

We have a team and manager with enormous potential and a bloody wealthy chairman.

We are a model club - but we've got a very challenging summer ahead with the need to shift a lot of dead wood, strengthen the attack and deal with interest in our best players.

We are doing well but however much of a mess Spurs are they are one of the biggest clubs in the continent, with the best stadium in the country and a salary far greater than anything in our budget. It would be no surprise if GPot had his head turned if the interest is genuine.

I actually think he might be Barbs incognito...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here