Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potential Binfest

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Were The Beatles really that good, or just lucky enough to be the first boyband? 'Lucy in the Sky', what the f**k was that about? A six year old could have written 'Yellow Submarine'. 'Imagine', just a hippy anthem.

BBC NEWS | Magazine | Help! I'm a Beatles hater

Rolling Stones were far better, but not quite so pretty!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I've never really thought Elvis songs were all that either. I guess it's more about the new ground they were breaking at the time.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've always said that if Kajagoogoo happened to emerge in 1960 with 'Too Shy', then they would have gone on to be the greatest and most revered band on the planet.

The Beatles were fortunate. Right place, right time.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've always said that if Kajagoogoo happened to emerge in 1960 with 'Too Shy', then they would have gone on to be the greatest and most revered band on the planet.

No, if Kajagoogoo happened to emerge in 1960 with 'Too Shy', someone would have sent them back to Porton Down.

The quality of The Beatles' songs is one thing, but they did change the way music is presented by being the first popular music band to write, play and sing on their own songs. And originality, matched with a certain amount of talent usually breeds success. Though doubtless NMH will come up with someone obscure that Joe Meek had buried under his patio who he used to get out on a voluntary basis from time to time.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

They could have been anyway. If they hadn't decided to kick that Llama bloke out, then the World was their lobster, as they still had some top songs in their locker.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Except Kajagoogoo didn't go on to help INVENT GENRES.

Tomorrow Never Knows - Dance music.

Helter Skelter - Heavy rock.

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
Some of these comments are a bit harsh... I thought the Beatles were quite good, actually.

Exactly. QUITE good. I can understand people that were actually around in the 60s getting nostalgic and all that but for JC's sake can't we move on. There have been plenty of better bands around since the ''Fab Four'' (God how I despise that sodding nickname). This Beatlemania all over again is so damn tedious.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Exactly. QUITE good. I can understand people that were actually around in the 60s getting nostalgic and all that but for JC's sake can't we move on. There have been plenty of better bands around since the ''Fab Four'' (God how I despise that sodding nickname). This Beatlemania all over again is so damn tedious.

I can't think of many bands who have innovated music and helped create genres so successfully since.

Only Pink Floyd and Radiohead come to mind, and neither of them has done so to the extent that The Beatles did.

Brandy Alexander

Sep 8, 2009
Except Kajagoogoo didn't go on to help INVENT GENRES.

Tomorrow Never Knows - Dance music.

Helter Skelter - Heavy rock.

Hang on Chap!
You're telling me that because Tomorrow Never Knows sounds like The Chemical Brothers, The Beatles invented dance music?!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I am a Beatles fan but I admit there is SOME truth in the 'right place right time' theory. They were well handled by their manager, Brian Epstein, in much the same way that Malcolm MacClaren knew how to market the Sex Pistols. Plus they were lucky to meet up with an excellent producer (George Martin) who was able to accdurately get their ideas down on tape they way they wanted them.

However the one thing that made them almost unique was that they were virtually the first band to play and record their own songs. Up until that time groups tended to play compositions written for them by professional songwriters and the Beatles ushered in a whole new 'singer/songwriter' era. And bugger me, speaking as a published songwriter and a PRS member (boast boast), their songs were GOOD.

If you don't like 'em you don't like 'em - fair enough. But there was a little bit more about them then simply being 'the first boy band'.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hang on Chap!
You're telling me that because Tomorrow Never Knows sounds like The Chemical Brothers, The Beatles invented dance music?!

I'm saying the "atmosphere" and more specifically the drum beat in Tomorrow Never Knows was a massive influence on a number of dance bands/acts etc. It's certainly the first modern dance song I've ever heard, can you think of an earlier example?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I am a Beatles fan but I admit there is SOME truth in the 'right place right time' theory. They were well handled by their manager, Brian Epstein, in much the same way that Malcolm MacClaren knew how to market the Sex Pistols. Plus they were lucky to meet up with an excellent producer (George Martin) who was able to accdurately get their ideas down on tape they way they wanted them.

However the one thing that made them almost unique was that they were virtually the first band to play and record their own songs. Up until that time groups tended to play compositions written for them by professional songwriters and the Beatles ushered in a whole new 'singer/songwriter' era. And bugger me, speaking as a published songwriter and a PRS member (boast boast), their songs were GOOD.

If you don't like 'em you don't like 'em - fair enough. But there was a little bit more about them then simply being 'the first boy band'.

All sounds about right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here