Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potential Binfest

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Any of you lot read "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell?

In it he discusses the success of the Beatles. He puts their success (and those of many others) down to a combination of talent, practice, opportunity, timing and luck.

Essentially, had the Beatles not been invited to play in Hamburg in 1960, they would almost certainly not have had the chance to play 270 nights for 3 to 5 hours a night in a year and a half, thus honing their craft. By the time they became a success in the US in 1964, they had played live an estimated 1200 times!! They also learnt a huge amount of cover versions to fill the huge time slots they were given in Hamburg. By the time Sgt Pepper came out (which is supposed to be their masterpiece), they had probably played/practiced for 10,000 hours, which is the key amount of time Gladwell found it takes for someone to become a master in their particular art.

John Peel says in his autobiography that it was pure luck that he listened to some of the bands he ended up promoting. He was sent thousands of demo tapes and could not listen to them all, so he just used to choose randomly.

So, to have success, you have to have some talent (obviously), but you also have to be in the right place at the right time and take all the opportunities presented to you. And practice, a lot. I'm sure there were far more talented bands around than the Beatles at that time, but it was the Beatles who were given the opportunity and used that to their best advantage.

But the other interesting thing Gladwell points out, is that if you want your child to have the best chance to be a top sportsperson, make sure they are born in the first month of the school calendar. So get planning.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I like them, Not a fan so to say. There like the beatles and many other bands i can take or leave them. Like most bands they have some good records and some shit so to say. Anyway why ?

The beatles would not have half the succes had they not been HEAVILY influenced by Buddy Holly and the crickets (who as i said wrote there own & guess what recoreded there own records) ...... leading the way. There were loads of American Artists who did the same before the Beatles and paved the way from rockabilly/rock n roll to pop music which the beatles sort of claim they did artists like Pat Boone / Johnny Burnette / Ricky Nelson all doing what Buddy Holly had started ......... moving to the pop music of the early 60s and the Beatles just moved it further along. Yes they changed as time went by, but admit they took further influances from other artists like all groups do.

Anyway its all taste, and enjoy the Beatles NEW cds and games.

I sense an agenda here...Rockabilly & Rock'n'Roll..Buddy Holly..Pat Boone..Johnny Burnette..Are you a Teddy boy with a big Quiff and a Bass Guitar made out of a broom handle and a tea chest by any chance?

The Beatlesnalways awknowleged that the early part of their career was influenced heavily by Buddy Holly and American Rock'n'Roll as well as Skiffle and early backbeat and blues..the difference was they took those styles and INNOVATED away from them making them much more intrumental in taking music further.

The Artists you mentioned developed a style of playing and a look (just as important IMO) and stuck with it. The Beatles adopted different styles and genres throughout their brief time at the top to the extent that no two albums are stylistically the same.

Personally I am not a massive fan of the Beatles although I do own most of their works, but I accept that they moved music on in many different areas far more than anyone else (including Elvis and the Stones) and I don't think we will really see their like again.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I sense an agenda here...Rockabilly & Rock'n'Roll..Buddy Holly..Pat Boone..Johnny Burnette..Are you a Teddy boy with a big Quiff and a Bass Guitar made out of a broom handle and a tea chest by any chance?

The Beatlesnalways awknowleged that the early part of their career was influenced heavily by Buddy Holly and American Rock'n'Roll as well as Skiffle and early backbeat and blues..the difference was they took those styles and INNOVATED away from them making them much more intrumental in taking music further.

The Artists you mentioned developed a style of playing and a look (just as important IMO) and stuck with it. The Beatles adopted different styles and genres throughout their brief time at the top to the extent that no two albums are stylistically the same.

Personally I am not a massive fan of the Beatles although I do own most of their works, but I accept that they moved music on in many different areas far more than anyone else (including Elvis and the Stones) and I don't think we will really see their like again.

Nope im an old Psychobilly gone bald and can only play the mouth organ. Anyway your missing my point. The above artists as i said like Buddy Holly..Pat Boone..Johnny Burnette etc had already started to move away from the rock n roll and were already doing stuff the beatles proggresed even further ie harmony music and catchy choruses etc.They had moved on as had Elvis, even cliff richard etc etc. So again the Beatles were not doing anything new and they also stole so much from Rory storm and the hurricanes (even ringo i think ?). I dont want to argue with a fellow Hillbilly :angel: anyway have a smashing weekend

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Apart from a huge chunk of royalties going to the Jackson Estate from the new box set, there have something else in common with the single gloved one...

.. both rubbish live.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here