Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potential Binfest

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'd say that the Beatles sound a bit dated now but there again so do Mozart and Beethoven. You cannot call them the first boy band for a number or reasons, those of us who are old enough to know better are well aware of the likes of Dion and the Bellmonts and their ilk who really were 'Boy Bands', there were quite a few but I'm not that old or interested.

The Beatles spawned countless other bands as they were unique at the time. I would say I prefer the Rolling Stones but frankly they were a blues band (did you realise that Brian Jones was really the original leader ?

The fact that there are countless Beatles covers but relatively few Stones covers says it all. I wouldn't buy a Beatles CD now but those of us who are old enough and lucky enough to remember them in their heyday can assure all the doubters that they were something never seen before. No way can you ever try to forget their highest of the high place in contemporary music.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Ok, what is this shit? The Beatles are the best ever band. Fact. No point denying it. Sold the most records, and have AMAZING songs. Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road, no other bands have made albums of this much diversity and quality. Songs like Yesterday are endless, others like Hey Jude are epic. I am the walrus is poetic. Lennon/Mccartney are still the greatest songwriters of all time and they produced their catologue fourty years ago.

The Beatles were only really around six years and achieved more than any other band in the history of the world. No one can compare to them.

John, Paul, George and Ringo forever.

Quixote.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Apologies, I still missed them by a good twenty years so you'll have to excuse my ignorance!

Forgiven, it's an age thing. Personally these days I'm not a fan but there again, what's the big deal about Elvis ? He, like Mozart, was well before my time too !

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Of course the Beatles had influences, like you say, who doesn't? Fact is, Beatles were the first UK act to break out of the covers format and produce their own stuff. Their 3rd album, A Hard Day's Night, has no covers on it at all. The list of FIRSTS attributed to the Beatles is immense.

:US: :US: :US: what :shootself They were THE FIRST BAND TO BREAK OUT OF COVERS !!! GET REAL THERE THIRD ALBUM HAS NO COVERS .... WOW it took that long :shootself AND THE FIRST TO PRODUCE THERE OWN STUFF !! AGAIN GET REAL :US: As for the lists of first is "immense" NOT TRUE !

I have no real problem with the Beatles however i find there fans are a tad blind, in thinking they started everything and had it not been for them blah blah blah

FACT HAD IT NOT BEEN THEM .......... IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SOMEONE ELSE.

PS. its not personal. :bigwave:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
The fact that people are still talking about them nearly 50 years after they first released Love Me Do is proof enough that they were one of the greatest bands ever to have graced the music industry.

Lets just see if we're still having this conversation in 50 years about the likes of Oasis, Keane, Glasvegas or Radiohead.

Whether you like them or not, you cannot get away from the fact that they influenced so many groups whether it be ELO or Oasis.

I laugh when people start criticising other peoples musical tastes, because you can guarantee that when you find out who their favourite artist is, you can usually find a quote from them saying how much The Beatles influenced them!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
EH?! A billion records sold says otherwise mate. :bigwave:

I like The Beatles, and have plenty of their recordings, but record sales doesn't necessarily make them the greatest ever.

Nana Mouskouri, Celine Dion, Julio Inglesias and Mariah Carey have all sold in excess of 200 million, and are in the top 20 selling artists of all time, would you call of them great?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The fact that people are still talking about them nearly 50 years after they first released Love Me Do is proof enough that they were one of the greatest bands ever to have graced the music industry.

Lets just see if we're still having this conversation in 50 years about the likes of Oasis, Keane, Glasvegas or Radiohead.

Whether you like them or not, you cannot get away from the fact that they influenced so many groups whether it be ELO or Oasis.

I laugh when people start criticising other peoples musical tastes, because you can guarantee that when you find out who their favourite artist is, you can usually find a quote from them saying how much The Beatles influenced them!

Agreed, but there is a difference between great and greatest.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yeah, Brian Poole and The Tremeloes just never got that lucky break, eh?

Are you an Oasis fan, perchance?

I like them, Not a fan so to say. There like the beatles and many other bands i can take or leave them. Like most bands they have some good records and some shit so to say. Anyway why ?

The beatles would not have half the succes had they not been HEAVILY influenced by Buddy Holly and the crickets (who as i said wrote there own & guess what recoreded there own records) ...... leading the way. There were loads of American Artists who did the same before the Beatles and paved the way from rockabilly/rock n roll to pop music which the beatles sort of claim they did artists like Pat Boone / Johnny Burnette / Ricky Nelson all doing what Buddy Holly had started ......... moving to the pop music of the early 60s and the Beatles just moved it further along. Yes they changed as time went by, but admit they took further influances from other artists like all groups do.

Anyway its all taste, and enjoy the Beatles NEW cds and games.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you want to be the best known which the Beatles undoubtably are then you had better stay middle of the road which again the Beatles most undoubtably were.

If you want to break down a few barriers and truly be innovative then thats a whole different arguement and one thats much more interesting.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Beatles were groundbreaking in many ways. Lots of their stuff is timeless although some of it is entire guff. Any band can write dross once in a while but overall, its of a high standard and stands the test of time. Their subsequent "solo " work was rather hit and miss but thats to be expected given the huge number of influences at the time.

Anyone can write a dog, no one ever mentions the immortal Bowie's " The Laughing Gnome"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
:

FACT HAD IT NOT BEEN THEM .......... IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SOMEONE ELSE.

:

But for that fateful night in Clear Lake I suspect that Buddy Holly would have eclipsed the Beatles. Holly's influence on the Beatles was massive and he was writing songs that are still the equal of Beatles songs about 7 years before they recorded their own stuff. Who knows how much he may have influenced music if his career had spanned more than 3 years or so?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
But for that fateful night in Clear Lake I suspect that Buddy Holly would have eclipsed the Beatles. Holly's influence on the Beatles was massive and he was writing songs that are still the equal of Beatles songs about 7 years before they recorded their own stuff. Who knows how much he may have influenced music if his career had spanned more than 3 years or so?

At last :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here