Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potential Binfest

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
It's funny, I used to be a really big Beatles fan of the type that would never admit anybody but John Lennon wrote any decent songs for them and always choosing to listen to the more experimental stuff.

Nowadays the few Beatles songs I do like to listen to are pretty much all McCartney songs, mostly simple acoustic stuff such as 'Blackbird'.

Not saying I can't see what a huge influence the Beatles were on lots of bands, but there a lot of other bands I'd choose to listen to first.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Conformity with what?

Freddie and the Dreamers ?

:jester:

Simple really ............... There was not the wide choice in music genre's back in the 60s available in record shops.

Therefore less competion in the charts, because at the time there was just pop music 60s teen beat whatever you want to call it. As you say What was the choice Freddie and the Dreamers !!

The Beatles were safe music the Adults liked ......... says it all

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The fact that the Beatles decided on that name was because they were so impressed with the music of the Crickets, which is a pretty big tip of the hat to Holly :thumbsup:

Surely Beetles and Crickets are in different entymological groups ?.. If they had named themselves after some other Evergreens I would have concured.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Simple really ............... There was not the wide choice in music genre's back in the 60s available in record shops.

Therefore less competion in the charts, because at the time there was just pop music 60s teen beat whatever you want to call it. As you say What was the choice Freddie and the Dreamers !!

Safe music? That's why they banned a day in the life from radio 1...

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Their diversity was truly amazing. I guess that's what happens when you have three great songwriters in one band. They're the greatest for me, no question and British too.

Compare and contrast ...

The original vocal version of A Taste of Honey (Lenny Welch 1962)

[yt]KlFURi20RrI[/yt]

The Beatles' version (1963)

[yt]zA_2pLQJj-U[/yt]

Is it better studio work? or a better performance?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

Music that EVERYONE liked. That's why they sold so many records. I totally get your point about Buddy Holly. The Beatles were just another link in the chain that led to music as we know it today, but you have to admit it was a pretty big link!

PS - Do you know the Brighton band rockabilly band Jailbait? They're playing on Saturday at 8pm at The Dover Castle as part of the Islingword Street Party.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Their music has an incredable range of styles. Of course there's some dross but there would be with any group, but more of their music hits the spot with a greater number of people.

Some of the other artists mentioned may be better in their particular field but not across the whole range

Some Beatles songs still get sung at football and many others have crossed over to the orchestra. There's a wide appeal across the age range too.

The Beatles music will live on throughout our lifetimes & beyond.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Music that EVERYONE liked. That's why they sold so many records. I totally get your point about Buddy Holly. The Beatles were just another link in the chain that led to music as we know it today, but you have to admit it was a pretty big link!

PS - Do you know the Brighton band rockabilly band Jailbait? They're playing on Saturday at 8pm at The Dover Castle as part of the Islingword Street Party.

I agree there important, but i just get the hump when people think there the be all and end all of music,and they did it all on there own etc etc.

jailbait, I heard them play at Hanover day, and being a bit picky there guitar player cant keep up at times,the singers ok although having two double basses is pretty cool.Apart from that there a good time band,Standard rockabilly covers etc etc Nowt more. But Ok enjoy :whisky:

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I've always said that if Kajagoogoo happened to emerge in 1960 with 'Too Shy', then they would have gone on to be the greatest and most revered band on the planet.

The Beatles were fortunate. Right place, right time.

And have 3 of the greatest song writers of all time and im not talking about Ringo!

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Except Kajagoogoo didn't go on to help INVENT GENRES.

Tomorrow Never Knows - Dance music.

Helter Skelter - Heavy rock.

This is why the Beatles are so great. Not since classical music (who child is R and B) has new types of music been made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here