Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Positives from last night............

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I watched it from home so there's one "positive" I'm definitely not going to be seeing as a result of last night

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Atmo was good I thought right upto their goal.

Veltman? I thought he was poor. I don't think his passing is PL quality, he can defend OK and then c0cks it up by giving the ball away cheaply. Marginally better than BDB overall but that's like saying that I broke my leg in 6 places but at least it didn't need to be amputated.

Game of opinions I suppose, but I was focussing on Veltman's defending, which I thought was excellent.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I know this is a ‘positives’ thread but I have to disagree.

That was the single most unprofessional performance I have ever seen from a referee in all my time watching football over the years!

Why on earth did he book to have his booster jab for the middle of an EPL game? Sleeve rolled up by the side of the pitch with a nurse attending to him, we all knew what was happening. And then there seemed to be a mix up over which booster he wanted, Pfizer or Moderna!

I paid good money to watch a FOOTBALL match last night, not some cretin who is supposed to be in charge getting his booster jab on the side of the pitch because he wasn’t able to get an appointment at another time!

Unbelievable.

He might have booked Burn, Bissouma and his Covid jab, but I was amazed that no Wolves players were booked for their frequent hacking down of Lamptey and irritating time wasting antics.

Positives from the game - none. Yes, I am still fecked off this morning!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
crikey if you thought that was a good atmosphere then god help us. I thought it was utterly crap, and a couple of half hearted Alllbbbiiiooons at the start is not really an atmosphere in my book

Where do you sit?

Edit: I see you posted west Upper

Last edited:

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
The bloke who sits in front of me with the world’s biggest bobble on the top of his hat didn’t come and I had a clear view.

Salty_Seagull

Quality over quantity
Jul 2, 2015
Brighton/Hove
I caveat this by saying I was sat in the SW corner, a lot closer to the pitch that I'm normally say so the angle wasn't great

Sanchez - made some very good saves (and always love to see a keeper go up for set pieces)
Lamptey - Great to get 90 minutes from him. Thought he looked a lot more assured defensively too
Veltman - Handled his defensive duties and keeping that tank under wraps very well
Cucurella - Decent defensive job all game
Solly (first half only) - Made some exciting runs down the right (didn't see him do much after swtiching in the second half)
Richards - Looked exiciting from his fairly brief cameo

Non players related
Majority of people I saw had their COVID stuff at least glanced at by a steward
Plenty of space round where I was sat

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I did hear some of it, but 20 people's voices from under the police box doesnt carry too far (I sit half way line in West Upper so in a very good position to judge home vs away support/levels)

Being in the North I was far more aware of the singing coming from our stand.
But I never hear the wall of noise generated from the west upper either. :shrug:

The Amex is a funny old ground isn't it.
I'm told it's the acoustics are all wrong.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Agreed, we were threadbare and still bossed the majority of the game. Unfortunately after conceding a poor goal from a 2nd phase (and with our defence in tatters this was all but inevitable) we couldn't muster any significant clear cut openings in the 2nd half despite having all the play again, against a horrible Wolverhampton side who were masters of the dark arts. Can't fault the commitment of the players and you feel if we had Maups and the regular back3 we'd have won that game 1-0 rather than lose it.

Bossed the majority of the game? Really? It looked to me like we danced around a bit and persisted with failing Tactics.
Your last line is fair enough though.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I really did not enjoy the game at all, I only came away with two positives-

1) I got the new white hoodie
2) I realised Adam Lallana is my next door neighbour when he was dropped home at pretty much the same time I got back from the Amex

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The unattractive nature of the game (near Xmas, televised, COVID) reduced the crowd closer to the hard core - who generally seemed to do a lot less moaning than a full house.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Being in the North I was far more aware of the singing coming from our stand.
But I never hear the wall of noise generated from the west upper either. :shrug:

The Amex is a funny old ground isn't it.
I'm told it's the acoustics are all wrong.

It’s a strange one and often not mentioned that the away end is also governed by the same building materials and size?

Caveat: I am well aware away support will typically generate a good atmosphere.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
A full match from Lamptey is all I can really offer as a positive

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It’s a strange one and often not mentioned that the away end is also governed by the same building materials and size?

Caveat: I am well aware away support will typically generate a good atmosphere.

Even odder that 4 times as many fans in the West upper cannot be heard at all.

Your Caveat is the correct answer - If our away fans were all in the North alongside the home only North stand - We would out-sing the away fans comfortably.
Instead they are dispersed around the ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here