Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portsmouth Wound up tomorrow wed?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
This is totally different from our situation. Our ground was sold from under us by an unscrupulous wanker - we tried to stop him.

Portsmouth borrowed money secured against future earnings in order to buy better players than they could afford in the hope that they would do well in the Premiership and then be able to pay the debts. They failed in their gamble and are now paying the price - having had fleeting success which the fans do doubt enjoyed.

Not the same as BHA - don't want them to disappear butbasically they cheated the system by spending money they couldn't repay and now they pay the price. If that's eventual releagation to League One (god forbid) or even out of the League, so be it. They gambled with their own future and blew it. Now is the reckoning time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
FFS! What THE HELL are we supposed to do until 2pm! ???
Perhaps create a comedy JPG montage featuring that wanker with the bell, the shit "stadium", and a copy of the league table.

Something that positively REVELS in this terribly sad state of affairs.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Apparently the stadium is protected, and can only be used for football. Does anyone know if this is true?

Could it be used for a South Coast Rugger team?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Apparently Southend and Cardiff have both been given another 28 days. But what about Portsmouth?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Cardiff have a winding up order? Tsk. Who is in charge?

Oh yes, Peter Risdale. I would have thought the Cardiff fans would have done their utmost to ensure he didn't have anything to do with the club, certainly when he uttered the words "I have a dream...".

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Perhaps create a comedy JPG montage featuring that wanker with the bell, the shit "stadium", and a copy of the league table.

Something that positively REVELS in this terribly sad state of affairs.

You forgot the key part.

Crying Children

Maybe even Dindane's face after missing another sitter as well

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I don't think any decent football fan wants any club to go to the wall. However, the same decent supporters of clubs that are run on sound finances but are not always successful on the pitch, are becoming increasing disillusioned with clubs that spend way beyond their means to buy success or buy in to the Premiership 'dream', go into administration as a way of clearing their debts and are then allowed to carry on where they left off with the potential to spend millions on players.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think any decent football fan wants any club to go to the wall. However, the same decent supporters of clubs that are run on sound finances but are not always successful on the pitch, are becoming increasing disillusioned with clubs that spend way beyond their means to buy success or buy in to the Premiership 'dream', go into administration as a way of clearing their debts and are then allowed to carry on where they left off with the potential to spend millions on players.

This is EXACTLY how I feel.

TO THE LETTER.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Courtesy of timesonline.co.uk:

12.11pm: Latest from Nick Szczepanik at the High Court: Portsmouth's case has been moved to the end of the session because it is disputed - their hearing will resume at 2pm. First comes a sad procession of failed builders, caterers and other small businesses. There are two replica Portsmouth FC shirts in the room.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Spot on. I am afraid Pompey have only themselves to blame for their troubles, they play in a league which is currently enjoying the benefits of a £1.78 Billion broadcasting rights deal, they should not have allowed themselves to have got into this situation.

Courtesy of timesonline.co.uk:

12.11pm: Latest from Nick Szczepanik at the High Court: Portsmouth's case has been moved to the end of the session because it is disputed - their hearing will resume at 2pm. First comes a sad procession of failed builders, caterers and other small businesses. There are two replica Portsmouth FC shirts in the room.

There's no doubt that Nick S will be loving every minute of this.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Apparently the stadium is protected, and can only be used for football. Does anyone know if this is true?

Could it be used for a South Coast Rugger team?

Does this still aplly if the club goes into liquidation and the assets are sold off to pay the creditors ? Football stadia are potentially worth more as retail or housing redevelopments.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Hornchurch, Rushden & Diamonds and other clubs over extended themselves on a small scale. I don't remember fans being up in arms about them buying into the dream?

Portsmouth deserve everything they get and more so. Wouldn't it be great to be able to attract an England International in the shape of Sol Campbell, lure him with a lucrative contract with various bonuses and image rights deals, but then refuse to pay and lift the FA Cup along the way.

I would love to see them suffer for their sustained period of artificial elevation. Return to the depths of the Football League and have 8,000 or so fans rattling about in Fratton Park. I'd BLOODY love it!

Sadly, I think they are going to get out of this. They might face relegation, but the farcical parachute payment system will assist.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

That is IT

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If Portsmouth goes into liquidation, the staff will be released from their contracts and the assets of the club will be sold off to raise money to pay whatever they can raise to the Portsmouth FC's creditors.

How does that work in such a case though, where [some of] the staff ARE the 'assets'?.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here