Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portsmouth Wound up tomorrow wed?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Going into admin seems inevitable, surely?

They won't fold though. No-one owed money, has it in their interests to instigate that, three days before they have a big pay-day at St.Mary's.

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
One day soon the Revenue are going to make an example out of one of these clubs and there will be no miracle rescue at the last moment. The club in question will be wound up. Then watch the whole unsustainable house of cards come tumbling down.

:thumbsup:

I cant wait for one of the so called big boys to go under, they all need there arses kicking, for them all to look whats happening with run away wages and over spending throughout the leagues.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Cardiff & Southend both facing winding up petitions in court today too.

I can't help wondering how the owners of "normal" businesses that are in trouble feel when they see football clubs being repeatedly let off the hook by HMRC.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Must admit I'm quite heartened by reading some of the comments on here. Normally when clubs are in trouble it's all: "The fans! Won't someone think of the fans! After all it's not their fault the club's in trouble!" Well indirectly - it is. When Pompey won the FA Cup I bet none of them moaned at the transfer fees or wages being paid; after all how many club chairmen/owners ever get criticised by fans for spending too MUCH on players? Ditto Palace trying to get back into the Premier League. And their problems get transmitted, virus-like, as other clubs try to match the spending in order to get the same calibre of player - with the end result that we have to pay £25 a pop to go to Withdean in order to raise the money to pay our share of the over-inflated wages.

Now finally people are getting the message that it's not just 'bad luck' that clubs get into financial trouble. Let's hope the Revenue win today.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
You can bet your bottom dollar if Pompey somehow survive they will be back to their usual obnoxious selves , trying to lord it and generally being the cun*t that they are.

Fot that reason, let em die and get reformed aka AFC Wimbledon

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Latest from the Beeb man at the scene (http://twitter.com/BBC_Matt);

too late 4 admin now, offer of 25% rejected, taxman said see you in court. Goes 1 of 2 ways now, extension or liquidation.
AFC portsmouth:lolol:

I can't help but enjoy this and don't feel guilty as i know we have been there.Although ours was far diffrent and far less money.They deserve to go under and paying 1 player 80k a week sums it up.:wink:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
It is a terrible thing to say and from a Brighton fan, after all the shit we have had to endure over the years too.

Oh give over, all that will happen is they have to start again down in the lower leagues (heaven forbid as low as we are).The very worst that will happen is they start again under the name Mouth of Port FC or something.They'll still be there, playing football on some local rec somewhere locally (if they really love their club).As Albion Dan says, Brightons catchment could extend into Bognor, and onwards, at their expense.
DOWN I say.

D

Deleted User X18H

I can't see why anyone would want to see another club go out of business. If it happens and it might well do today then it could be the catalyst. The 92 club could soon become 82 club or less.

The FA will require a bond from Portsmouth to be held as security against unfulfilled fixtures if they cannot provide they may well be expelled from the Premier League. Remember June 1997?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I can't get the link to work - can someone explain why it's too late for admin ?

I believe that the high court judge does not have the power to force the club into administration and therefore protect Portsmouth FC from its' creditors. The Judge can do one of two things, wind up Portsmouth FC or grant them an extension to find the money they owe to the taxman. However, as this is a final hearing, the Judge may decided that regardless of the new owner, Portsmouth have had more than enough time to pay their debts.

If Portsmouth goes into liquidation, the staff will be released from their contracts and the assets of the club will be sold off to raise money to pay whatever they can raise to the Portsmouth FC's creditors.

[edit] - A better analysis of FAQs is here: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bu...ootball_Club_To_Be_Wound_Up_Over_Unpaid_Taxes

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I believe that the high court judge does not have the power to force the club into administration and therefore protect Portsmouth FC from its' creditors. The Judge can do one of two things, wind up Portsmouth FC or grant them an extension to find the money they owe to the taxman. However, as this is a final hearing, the Judge may decided that regardless of the new owner, Portsmouth have had more than enough time to pay their debts.

If Portsmouth goes into liquidation, the staff will be released from their contracts and the assets of the club will be sold off to raise money to pay whatever they can raise to the Portsmouth FC's creditors.

[edit] - A better analysis of FAQs is here: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bu...ootball_Club_To_Be_Wound_Up_Over_Unpaid_Taxes

Cheers :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here