Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey getting smashed

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Well given the inbreeding that happens on the island, it's not hard to be superior.

Turning to football however, I don't think the level of the Albion's wages are anywhere near the obscene level of wages that are still being paid to the likes of Tal Ben Haim and Kanu.
Never say never but given that we currently appear to be struggling to secure a striker would give credence to the idea that we currently have a wage cap in place and would also indicate that we have an element of control over what we spend on wages...

Well i think we can safely say some inbreeding goes on in certain estates around Brighton. And who's to say that if we went up to the Prem we wouldn't feel pressured to pay crazy wages in an attempt to remain competetive - as you say, never say never . .'pride comes before a fall' and all that . .

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A lot of the Albions problems were created by poor financial management through the so called glory years and after. Huge contracts were given to players during the eighties that in some way left the door open for what was to follow. I am not saying selling the Goldstone was anything other than a criminal act but there are far too many people on this thread getting on their high horses about Pompey's current struggle.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Was there many Pompey fans there ? Also did they behave themselves ?

The Portsmouth Evening News quotes 400 Pompey fans in attendance which wasn't bad. The match against us might just be there last ever if they go tits up. Apparently its being said that redundancy notices for the Admin staff are likely to be issued next Tuesday and if the big earners don't leave by the end of the month then its liquidation on the 1st August.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Are they coming in on the EasyJet flight from Gatwick, due to get in at 3.45pm?

If you are on twitter it might be worth sending a DM to either Andy Naylor or Brian Owen to check. Or try BHA Snappy (photographer Paul Hazlewood) as I think he is travelling with the squad :thumbs up:

Pompey will have had a few days to actually play together before we get to have a go at them and need to remember too that unlike Gib, our lads will hardly be interested to run themselves into the ground - it will be a very light training run around with no motivation to thrash anybody so wouldn't expect too much. Plus it will be on grass.

SeagullNoon

Oct 14, 2008
POMPEY.jpg

He was none too happy after the match last night!!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
but there are far too many people on this thread getting on their high horses about Pompey's current struggle.

the issue is not Pompey as such but the use of football clubs as a vehicle to launder money and then leave joe public to pick up the bill

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
the issue is not Pompey as such but the use of football clubs as a vehicle to launder money and then leave joe public to pick up the bill

Well of course that needs to be addressed and I,m sure the Football league, The Premier League and the FA will sort things out :smile: but the problem I have with so many of the other posts on here is that if this was about a club up north who did not get preferentially coverage by the local TV stations - and so send certain posters on here into complete rages - we would give them some sort of support but because it is Pompey people actually want to see them go under. I want to see them in League 2 next but not fold.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well of course that needs to be addressed and I,m sure the Football league, The Premier League and the FA will sort things out :smile: but the problem I have with so many of the other posts on here is that if this was about a club up north who did not get preferentially coverage by the local TV stations - and so send certain posters on here into complete rages - we would give them some sort of support but because it is Pompey people actually want to see them go under. I want to see them in League 2 next but not fold.

I would support a cause by Pompey fans to help save their club if they actually started something but they don't appear to care themselves.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
I feel sorry for the couple of hundred Pompey fans who still trail them all the way to Gib in the hope of watching the dawn of something promising only to see them get well and truly tonked by a bunch of amateurs.

But the club can do one. Still the same crooks hanging around to bleed the last drop of blood and for the second time an administrator who appears to be siding with the crooks in order to safeguard his fee. As for Mike "the saviour" Appleton - his disregard for the professional footballers who have been cheated by his employers is little short of staggering and I'd be embarrassed to call him the manager of my club.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I would support a cause by Pompey fans to help save their club if they actually started something but they don't appear to care themselves.

Well the trust has been there for a while but I agree maybe a higher profile pro-active fans involvement might have helped. Not so easy marching to Gaydermac or Chaneri,s house and playing a violin outside though is I ?

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Well the trust has been there for a while but I agree maybe a higher profile pro-active fans involvement might have helped. Not so easy marching to Gaydermac or Chaneri,s house and playing a violin outside though is I ?

No but how about a march to the Football League or FA. How about a petition to the PM. How about getting the local paper involved, (rather than just reporting the facts as the Portsmouth Evening News does), how about some well orchastrated marches and demonstrations in Portsmouth and finaly, as far as I'm concerned, how about a bit of humility.

If you look at some of things still being said on their message boards you stumble across those that feel they have been really hard done by, must be highly attractive to buy by some Arab or Russian and once thats in place they can take their 'rightful place' back in the Premier League. Apparently its everybody elses fault, the FA and Football League, the Government, (yes really!), the Administrator, the Creditors, the players and everybody else who might be connected to football.

Your quite right, we have helped and supported other clubs like Plymouth & Wrexham and will no doubt do the same again, partly because those clubs have also tried to help themselves rather than just playing 'pass the blame'.

Do I feel sorry for genuine supporters of Pompey. Of course I do, (apart from that twat with the bell of course), but they will still have a club to support albeit in a lower division and which might take a few years to get back to the Football League. At least when they do they should be in a much better shape financially and perhaps might have learned a lesson or two, mainly I hope, not to chase the impossible dream using other peoples money. :annoyed:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No but how about a march to the Football League or FA. How about a petition to the PM. How about getting the local paper involved, (rather than just reporting the facts as the Portsmouth Evening News does), how about some well orchastrated marches and demonstrations in Portsmouth and finaly, as far as I'm concerned, how about a bit of humility.
Do I feel sorry for genuine supporters of Pompey. Of course I do, (apart from that twat with the bell of course), but they will still have a club to support albeit in a lower division and which might take a few years to get back to the Football League. At least when they do they should be in a much better shape financially and perhaps might have learned a lesson or two, mainly I hope, not to chase the impossible dream using other peoples money. :annoyed:

I don,t disagree with any of that but there is great delight in generally blaming the Pompey fans for putting them in the predicament they find themselves in now by not questioning wages, contracts and the like. That is crap.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I don,t disagree with any of that but there is great delight in generally blaming the Pompey fans for putting them in the predicament they find themselves in now by not questioning wages, contracts and the like. That is crap.

It isn't really crap though is it? It was only last season that their fans were discussing what it would take to get into the playoffs, what players they could bring in-despite owing £57 million or more already. If those same fans had spent a little energy questioning the various owners and looking to save the club instead of chasing an impossible dream there might be more outside support for them. A hundred people milling around Fratton Park for a couple of hours isn't exactly commitment to the cause!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

I don't believe most people 'blame' the fans for their predicament as such, just that most of us are somewhat surprised at the lack of interest in trying to save their club, rather than blaming everyone else.

The main 'fault' of Portsmouth FC lays in the hands of successive crooks from overseas, who appear to have used Portsmouth FC for money laundering etc etc. The club itself is virtually dead. The JCLs and fairweather supporters will no doubt mourn their loss, but will be forgotten by them fairly quickly.

The real losers are the genuine 'hardcore' fans (as with any club) However, I,m sure those suporters would rather start again....debt and 'crook-owners' free.

Sooner, rather than later, an established English League club (from one of the top 2 divisions) will suffer the fate of Rangers in Scotland. Nothing else (and that includes the 'fairplay' due to start) will bring a sense of reality to the game....and maybe focus the attention on the ludicrously high wages paid to professional footballers and the number of dodgy overseas investors, who will eventually ruin the game for so many. Of course, it should have been Crystal Palace, but hey ho.....someone has to be the sacrificial lamb sent to the slaughter.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It isn't really crap though is it? It was only last season that their fans were discussing what it would take to get into the playoffs, what players they could bring in-despite owing £57 million or more already. If those same fans had spent a little energy questioning the various owners and looking to save the club instead of chasing an impossible dream there might be more outside support for them. A hundred people milling around Fratton Park for a couple of hours isn't exactly commitment to the cause!

A couple of fans were on their forums. Christ we have them on here as well.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away

It wasn't the fact that they wern't questioning it, more the fact that a majority of their fans felt it the way to go.

I like to think that we got someone in that was patently costing us more than our gates would sustain some of us on here would start asking questions. You only have to trawl through some of the more unrealisic targets that are being spouted on this board, (Owen, Heskey, etc), to see that even the most lunatic members of NSC, (and blimey, do we have some!), frequently acknowledge that we couldn't afford the wages. On the Pompey board they would be asking why the delay till they start.

I really think that if Portsmouth were to be liquidated it might just be the kick up the backside that a lot of clubs need to show that gambling on a future with other peoples money which, should it fail, will cripple the club, might just not be such a good idea.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don't believe most people 'blame' the fans for their predicament as such, just that most of us are somewhat surprised at the lack of interest in trying to save their club, rather than blaming everyone else.

The main 'fault' of Portsmouth FC lays in the hands of successive crooks from overseas, who appear to have used Portsmouth FC for money laundering etc etc. The club itself is virtually dead. The JCLs and fairweather supporters will no doubt mourn their loss, but will be forgotten by them fairly quickly.

The real losers are the genuine 'hardcore' fans (as with any club) However, I,m sure those suporters would rather start again....debt and 'crook-owners' free.

Sooner, rather than later, an established English League club (from one of the top 2 divisions) will suffer the fate of Rangers in Scotland. Nothing else (and that includes the 'fairplay' due to start) will bring a sense of reality to the game....and maybe focus the attention on the ludicrously high wages paid to professional footballers and the number of dodgy overseas investors, who will eventually ruin the game for so many. Of course, it should have been Crystal Palace, but hey ho.....someone has to be the sacrificial lamb sent to the slaughter.

You are right there. Hard to argue with any of that. In some ways I almost want it to happen so that the cheats..... And that is what Pompey and Palace are...... Learn a lesson. It is just that I still think, there for the grace of God and all that.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here