Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey getting smashed

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Didn't the Albion get a pre-season foreign tour a few years back, funded by a generous supporter?

A chap called Tony Bloom, I think.

The Albion didn't owe much money to businesses, with not much chance of paying it back.

If I were taking a donation from a generous fan, I would put it towards paying off the accumulated debts, not funding a jolly to Gibraltar.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I think there is a real danger that Pompey may not even start the season and could well be liquidated at this rate.

I have no sympathy for PFC whatsoever but their situation has alarm bells ringing in my head. Could The Albion find themselves in a similar position? Players' wages are spiraling out of control and it worries me that only a handful of clubs are financially secure. The sooner the fair pay thing is diligently enforced, the better or Portsmouth are going to be the first of many.

SeagullNoon

Oct 14, 2008
Was also there tonight Pompeys patched up team were woeful to be honest. I would be surprised if we did not smash em!! Gib have some good players but Pompey looked unfit especially luke Rodgers!! Don't think they expected the astro pitch they had to play on also so maybe that effected them. At the end I actually felt a bit sorry for their fans probably 100-200 of them so not bad turn out.

Got a great shot of their famous bell boy looking thoroughly pissed off he knew their team hit an all time low this eve. It won't attach now but will post in morning!

Well ready to welcome gus and the team at gib airport on Sunday could be interesting with the Pompey fans if a number of Brighton are comin out they are none too happy!

The Albion didn't owe much money to businesses, with not much chance of paying it back.

If I were taking a donation from a generous fan, I would put it towards paying off the accumulated debts, not funding a jolly to Gibraltar.
The problem that any generous Pompey fan would have, if he made a contribution towards paying off part of the accumulated debt, is that, in reality, this would simply be a gift to whichever crooked businessman is lining himself up to get his hands on the assets, whilst having no interest whatsoever in the football club, its supporters, or its creditors.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The problem that any generous Pompey fan would have, if he made a contribution towards paying off part of the accumulated debt, is that, in reality, this would simply be a gift to whichever crooked businessman is lining himself up to get his hands on the assets, whilst having no interest whatsoever in the football club, its supporters, or its creditors.

Indeed. He would be better off putting that money into a savings account for a phoenix club, if he had any sort of sense or scruples.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
I have no sympathy for PFC whatsoever but their situation has alarm bells ringing in my head. Could The Albion find themselves in a similar position? Players' wages are spiraling out of control and it worries me that only a handful of clubs are financially secure. The sooner the fair pay thing is diligently enforced, the better or Portsmouth are going to be the first of many.

No, it could never happen here, because as many Albion fans seem to think, we are such a superior breed to our Pompey, and presumably Rangers, counterparts, we would never allow it.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Was also there tonight Pompeys patched up team were woeful to be honest. I would be surprised if we did not smash em!! Gib have some good players but Pompey looked unfit especially luke Rodgers!! Don't think they expected the astro pitch they had to play on also so maybe that effected them. At the end I actually felt a bit sorry for their fans probably 100-200 of them so not bad turn out.

Got a great shot of their famous bell boy looking thoroughly pissed off he knew their team hit an all time low this eve. It won't attach now but will post in morning!

Well ready to welcome gus and the team at gib airport on Sunday could be interesting with the Pompey fans if a number of Brighton are comin out they are none too happy!

Are they coming in on the EasyJet flight from Gatwick, due to get in at 3.45pm?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The only prospect for the first team squad now looks like redundancy, along with most of the non-playing staff.

Redundancies in the playing staff can surely only occur if the club is liquidated and then it will be everyone out, playing and non-playing staff. I'm pretty sure you can't make someone redundant and then replace them with someone else in an identical role.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Redundancies in the playing staff can surely only occur if the club is liquidated and then it will be everyone out, playing and non-playing staff. I'm pretty sure you can't make someone redundant and then replace them with someone else in an identical role.

That's called unfair dismissal!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It would be great to see him made redundant and given statutory redundancy pay only - with no discussion of any compromise.

With two years service with his current employer, he'd be entitled to £860.

:lol:
Whereas he is holding out for the million pounds or so "due to him".
Was there ever a more obscene example of the contrasting worlds of players and the fans that follow them?

SeagullNoon

Oct 14, 2008
Yup think that is the only flight into gib on a Sunday so must be that flight! Going to go down there see if we have anyone else with the squad and go and meet the players.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
No, it could never happen here, because as many Albion fans seem to think, we are such a superior breed to our Pompey, and presumably Rangers, counterparts, we would never allow it.

Well given the inbreeding that happens on the island, it's not hard to be superior.

Turning to football however, I don't think the level of the Albion's wages are anywhere near the obscene level of wages that are still being paid to the likes of Tal Ben Haim and Kanu.
Never say never but given that we currently appear to be struggling to secure a striker would give credence to the idea that we currently have a wage cap in place and would also indicate that we have an element of control over what we spend on wages...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'd love to see them liquidated. Maybe mid-season with a few cricket scores along the way.

Before any of the apologists pipe up (some Palace fans and a gaggle of Brighton fans), there will always be a club in Portsmouth. Their passionate support will ensure that.
In Portsmouth case it would probably be the best thing to do. Start up an AFC Portsmouth and draw a line under the carcass that remains of Portsmouth FC.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm pretty sure you can't make someone redundant and then replace them with someone else in an identical role.
BT did this for years on end on a voluntary basis allowing thousands to leave taking a lump sum and an immediate pension if they were over 50. They backfilled by taking on agency staff who were paid minimum wage. I signed up to leave end of March 2004 but left 12 months early because they outsourced 500 jobs to India at very short notice.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Is it true that Vicente will be playing with both legs tied together to even it up a bit for Pompey ???

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Not bad, two or three of their players could play at least at League 1 level and the rest are probably Conference or lower level

seriously, I thought the Gib league was all amateur and there is only had one stadium? And that one team (Lincoln?) dominated the league every year.

Surprised there is anyone up to league 1 level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here