Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Policeman shot, unprovoked in Gateshead.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Apparently he had hostages??!!

News conference: Police have been dealing with "complex, fast-moving" operation

Live News conference now:

Apparently he had hostages??!!

... and, according to the BBC, the hostages "have been found and arrested for conspiracy to murder".

Very odd.

Armed officers searching for suspected gunman Raoul Moat have stormed disused farm buildings in a Northumberland village.

An exclusion zone was set up in the area after a black Lexus believed to be used by him was found in Rothbury.

The public has been warned that Moat is still at large and people should stay indoors.

The 37-year-old has been on the run since allegedly shooting three people, one fatally, over the weekend.

It has also been revealed that two men taken hostage by him have been found and arrested for conspiracy to murder.

Det Insp Neil Adamson described the police operation as "ongoing".

He said: "At this time Mr Moat has not been located but I am confident that with the support of the public and the efforts our staff we are closing the net."

The main route into Rothbury, along a scenic road from the A1, was shut a couple of miles from the rural village.

Temporary Chief Constable Sue Sim said: "Members of the public within this area are advised to remain indoors and await further instructions.

"Anyone considering visiting Rothbury is also advised not to travel at this stage.

"People will see armed officers on the streets. This is a precautionary measure to protect and reassure them.

"Rest assured everything is being done to bring this to a conclusion."

The police operation began when Moat's ex-girlfriend Samantha Stobbart, 22, was shot and her boyfriend, Chris Brown, 29, was killed in Birtley, Gateshead, on Saturday.

Pc David Rathband was also shot in his patrol car in Newcastle on Sunday.

Moat had just been released from Durham Prison after an 18-week sentence for assault.

Police had been warned that he may have been planning to harm his former girlfriend and Northumbria Police said they had referred the case to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

At a press conference it was revealed that on Monday night police had asked the media for a blackout on news that Moat was believed to have kidnapped two men after the shootings on Saturday.

Det Supt Neil Adamson said: "I can now inform the public that throughout this operation and investigation we have been dealing with a complex, fast moving and challenging hostage situation.

"At an early stage it was believed that Moat may have taken two hostages around the time of the shootings in Birtley.

"We have been dealing with this matter in accordance with the national guidelines in relation to kidnap.

"Throughout this time there has been a significant risk to the lives of the two men."

He confirmed that the two men found in Rothbury had been arrested.

Isabelle Wilson, from Rothbury, found the car believed to have been used by Moat.

"We saw the car last night when we were walking our dogs," she said.

"We noticed the registration number and when I heard the news this morning I said to my husband I was sure that was the car. He went back to check then we called the police."

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
My guess would be that the police wanted to take them in for their own protection but they refused and then it was a case of ways and means.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My guess would be that the police wanted to take them in for their own protection but they refused and then it was a case of ways and means.

You can't go arresting people for conspiracy to murder just to protect them :lolol:

There are other pieces of legislation that might be used under those circumstances but conspiracy to murder isn't one of them.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
You can't go arresting people for conspiracy to murder just to protect them :lolol:

There are other pieces of legislation that might be used under those circumstances but conspiracy to murder isn't one of them.

whats the score then edna. its good when you get involved and give us your gavvers eye view. are they going to starve him out or are they hacksawing away at their ammunition as we speak?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
whats the score then edna. its good when you get involved and give us your gavvers eye view. are they going to starve him out or are they hacksawing away at their ammunition as we speak?

I doubt they'll starve him out, he's not going to come quietly. He won't top himself either as far as I can tell, he wants to go out all guns blazing & preferably taking a copper or two with him.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Just watching sky news, something has happened, all the police are speeding off in one direction, its going mad!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Edna. I wouldn't do your job for all the tea in China.

I've got to say, no matter how much training I'd had, I would be absolutely cacking it having to search such a massive area, for an armed bloke who has already shot three people and has nothing whatsoever to lose.

Even the ordinary unarmed police must be constantly looking over their shoulders up there today.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Have you seen the hardward them police are carrying :ohmy:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I doubt they'll starve him out, he's not going to come quietly. He won't top himself either as far as I can tell, he wants to go out all guns blazing & preferably taking a copper or two with him.

i didnt really mean they will starve him out edna. i was just sort of mucking about. they could play music to him like noriega.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Cant see what they are, look like heavy duty, futuristric, glock, come SAS machine gun!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Most police forces use H&K g36c carbines (a few use the MP5), though they'll have long range rifles cued up too I'd imagine. Plus 9mm handguns, baton launchers and tasers, in the unlikely event they got close enough to shock him.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Think you may be right Edna, these bad boys look serious!!!

P1000702.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This bloke will turn the gun on himself I reckon.
Just hope he doesn't take anyone else with him beforehand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here