Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Policeman shot, unprovoked in Gateshead.

stu7878

mid air general
Oct 9, 2008
This sounds very much like a gangland "hit". Following the investigation into a double shooting there this week.
Will be interesting to find out what this policeman knew.... if he survives!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Or maybe the police were looking for him anyway as the suspect for another shooting and this copper just happened to stumble across him?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not according to e latest BBC report Edna...

The officer was approached by an armed man and shot in Newcastle at about 0045 BST. His condition is thought to be serious, but not life-threatening.

Police said the uniformed motor patrol officer was carrying out a "static patrol" on a roundabout at East Denton which joins the A1 and A69 when he was attacked. He was later taken to Newcastle General Hospital.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not according to e latest BBC report Edna...

Am I missing something here?

This bloke is supposed to have killed his missus recently therefore it stands to reason police would be hunting him. And also that he doesn't want to get caught. He gets stopped, realises he's about to get busted, and slots the copper.

If the police officer was actually expecting to come across this bloke, they'd more than likely have had armed units on to it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You said copper stumbles across dodgy suspect.

The Beeb seem to be saying dodgy suspect stumbled across copper.

That was the only point I was trying to make. Badly it seems.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Also, he didn't kill his missus (or ex as she now is). He did kill his (ex) missus's new partner however.

smelly

May 23, 2004
This sounds very much like a gangland "hit". Following the investigation into a double shooting there this week.
Will be interesting to find out what this policeman knew.... if he survives!

Well I hope he survives to satisfy your curiousity mate if not we'll get his widow to give you a bell. ****.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just said on the news it was a traffic copper, as I suspected, which suggests he was sat up at that roundabout, doing his usual night shift thing, looking out for drink drivers etc, when this guy spotted him and decided to pop him. He's presumably attempting to send a signal that when they catch him he's not going to come quietly.

Or maybe he thought it was an armed police officer and was aiming for the old "suicide by cop" scenario.

Either way it'll be a nervy few days on Tyneside until they nail him, as he clearly doesn't give a damn any more.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Just said on the news it was a traffic copper, as I suspected, which suggests he was sat up at that roundabout, doing his usual night shift thing, looking out for drink drivers etc, when this guy spotted him and decided to pop him. He's presumably attempting to send a signal that when they catch him he's not going to come quietly.

Or maybe he thought it was an armed police officer and was aiming for the old "suicide by cop" scenario.

Either way it'll be a nervy few days on Tyneside until they nail him, as he clearly doesn't give a damn any more.

You have assumed quite alot.........."Nail him" sounds a bit Ominous, very "Sweeny" :eek:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Fall out from Bird perhaps? Might sound stuipid but people with a certain predisposition may imitate him and be willing to "pop" anyone now if they feel that low.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You have assumed quite alot.........."Nail him" sounds a bit Ominous, very "Sweeny" :eek:

:lolol: you're reading too much into that, probably just job talking. Everyone has their bits of work jargon! But I don't think I've assumed all that much given what's already come out on the news.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Raoul Moat is still at large and sent a letter to police/media in which he says he is against the police and threatened NHS staff if his ex-girlfriend dies (this being the one he shot)

Also appears he held up a chip shop in the area. - Have to think that surely you would leave the area if you were the gunman,

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Also appears he held up a chip shop in the area. - Have to think that surely you would leave the area if you were the gunman,

Exactly. Now as well as being up for murder and two counts of attempted murder, he's facing an assault and vinegar charge.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Raoul Moat is still at large and sent a letter to police/media in which he says he is against the police and threatened NHS staff if his ex-girlfriend dies (this being the one he shot)

Not at all, he's not bothered about being caught is he, he just wants to go down all guns blazing, as it were, he knows it'll probably end up being shot. Doesn't strike me as being in a particularly rational state of mind.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
News conference imminent.

Also
Urgent advice for people in Rothbury area

Urgent advice for people in Rothbury area
This is an update on going operational activity taking place in the Rothbury area in connection with the search for Raoul Thomas Moat.

As a precautionary measure we are closing down a geographic area near Rothbury. This is a two mile radial exclusion zone on the ground. In addition there is a five mile, 5,000 feet air exclusion zone.

Numerous resources are being deployed to the area to reassure the public and to carry out an effective search.

The public may experience some disruption and we are seeking their patience and cooperation.

Members of the public in this area are advised to remain indoors and await further instructions. Anyone considering visiting Rothbury is also advised not to travel at this stage.

People will see armed officers on the streets. This is a precautionary measure to protect and reassure them

Main question - why have an air exclusion zone? Do they think he is capable of bringing down a helicopter!!?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Doesn't strike me as being in a particularly rational state of mind.

Very true. Not sure of the details /when it is OK to shoot a suspect?? Whatever the outcome cant see the police coming out of this smelling of roses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here