Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please spare a minute to laugh at Swindon Town

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
Forgive me for commenting on my second team, but I think maybe people are missing Manilla's point a little bit, because more than half of the 4,500 tickets sold were before the end of the season where fans were being charged less than £300 for a full adult season ticket. Not only do they not have to pay big numbers (as you wouldn't expect them to have to), but the board have spent a lot of time intergrating themselves with the local businesses, so along with the season ticket they get discounts at all sort of places. For example, 2 for 1 tickets at the cinema!

But it's very sad to start threads like this. I was talking to a Watford fan earlier, and we got to talking about the Carling Cup draw and how ironic it was that we'll be playing Gillingham at home in the first round. It wasn't that long ago we were in a league below Gillingham with the ambition of staying in the football league whilst ground sharing with them! And now here we are about to move into our new home, buying good players for big fees and selling 18,000 season tickets for Championship football. Anyone who thinks that gives us the right to mock teams less fortunate than ourselves is wrong in my opinion, and is just trying to use their association to a football club to make themselves feel better.

Football moves in cycles, we've gone through a bad one and now we're right in the grip of a very good one, doesn't mean we have to be smug about it.

Sorry...dont be pretentious... Its simple. Manilla is being a total arse . End of . Whether football moves in cycles..you dont say ..lets laugh at at another football club . Dont try to defend a a wanker.. dont think it does you any good . And your correct....we musnt be smug about anything here....especially to a club that helped us out of the shit.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All the grief we got from Swindon fans when trying to buy Greer last season!! Indeed some people do have short memories.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
It is extraordinary... sadly the new stadium, manager, chairman, have given many MSC members a delusional future for us. Many here are expecting EPL within 12 months with Champions League in 2013. ..clubs like Gillingham can just disappear over the horizon.. .
People here need a huge reality check....remember the dark days.. and remember clubs like Gillingham, Swindon, Plymouth etc etc .... look at both Sheffield clubs next year. ????? WE are not guaranteed anything.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Agreed, we are similar sized clubs really, we might just tip the scales but still there’s not much in it. It wasn’t long ago Swindon were in the top flight and we were f**ked both on and off the pitch.
I disagree we are a simular size club as swindon have only average 15k once in 40 years and that was in the prem.

Otherwise they were simular to reading before reading was at the madstad:D

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
4,500 STH's for a League 2 club needs to be applauded rather than derided. How many STH's did we have at Withdean last season ? Swindon and Plymouth are in similar situations whereby they have to start again with limited resources. A few NSCers including myself at times have contracted "Leeds United Syndrome".

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
There is a difference between having good humoured banter with other team's fans and sticking the boot in. You are clearly not old enough to remember our fans united day where true football fans showed true respect and supported each other. Grow up.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Crying_baby_photo.bmp

I've waited MONTHS to post this back to the thread starter when he did something similar to myself, yet completely unwarrented :lol: Oh revenge is sweeeeeeeeeet :) Here you are manila XXX

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I suppose we all can make canutes of ourselves by starting silly threads.
Just want to enjoy the build-up to Falmer myself.
Seems a bit pointless to gloat at a club who haven't done us any harm.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Are we still allowed to laugh at Swindon for this at least?

[yt]_UQtHi5beGg[/yt]

BHAFC_4EVER

Apr 28, 2011
Eastbourne
4500 season tickets sold ( 7000 last year)
all the best players leaving.

and Div 2 football next year......oh an Di Canio as manager, who has been in the UK for 3 days since his appointment a month ago.

My mate tells me he is setting up links with AC Milan so Swindon will get all the Milan youths...

After 3

3.....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

WTF are you on about? LAUGH??? We didn't have got 4000 season tickets sold by now when we were in league 2 and I doubt we sold 7000 last year. I applaude them for still getting 4000 season tickets by the 16/06 in league 2. They will go straight back up mark my words!!!

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
I was in Swindon with the girlfriend a couple of months ago - the one thing that struck me when going through the town centre there was that there were loads of people walking around in football tops, but all of top Premier League clubs.

It wasn't that long ago that you'd see something similar to that here in Brighton.

Granted, I am pleased we're now two leagues above Swindon Town (purely for banter with the girlfriend's family), but am far from smug about it. Give or take a couple of results in the past couple of years, we could easily be in reverse positions going into this season.

I'd personally save Schadenfreude like this (if at all) for if and when a certain club that doesn't have long-suffering fans, a club that have no right to be in the league pyramid by default and next to no history have a bit of a struggle. I know I may sound no better than Manila here, but I really couldn't hide my delight when MK Dons were knocked out in the playoffs.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I disagree we are a simular size club as swindon have only average 15k once in 40 years and that was in the prem.

Otherwise they were simular to reading before reading was at the madstad:D

This is true-Swindon have only been a league club since the 60s/70s and the 15k average is true as well

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Don't have a problem with Swindon really, other than got coined there after the away leg of the play off semi. To get 4500 ST's is pretty good, and they were taken to the cleaners last season - not sure thay were left with any players of note. Can't and won't laugh - we have been in a worse position, and got their support. L1 & L2 supporters are "real" football fans - don't knock them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So it was ok to laugh at Southend a year ago when they got relegated but now it is gloating to laugh at Swindon? Seems to me there are a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon here.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
:lolol:

Too many times recently there have been arrogant 'we're better than you, look at us and our new stadium' posts on this board, so it's refreshing to see the replies here are the opposite.

Bring on the Sussex reserves - I give you Crawley Town...they'll turn Swindon over

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here