Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good questions all. As I said above, I believe in Gus and Tony enough that I think they would make us a team with a good chance of staying up. I think - thanks to Tony's prudence and Gus's nous - we can be better than the likes of Wigan, Wolves, Blackburn et al.

Who knows? We are getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

Quite.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
I like the way you start off with 'How do you know?' and then base most of your case on suposition.

Which is why at the end i clearly state that i could be way off the mark. I use the word 'belive' and supposition is what is left when one has, as I state very clearly 'I have no idea'.

When someone says they have no idea what else other than supposition do you expect????

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm pretty certain that if Tony Bloom got us promoted he would provide the means, in a sensible manner, to maje a good fist of staying up. He has done it this season.

You might have to define 'in a sensible manner' when it comes to nutcase wages and voracious agents; it's a different kettle of fish between Championship players and Premiership players' demands.

I get the feeling Gus doesn't want to 'make a good fist of staying up'. I get the feeling he wants to enter the top division running, and to be able to properly compete, not just survive. That will be made a bit more difficult by a big one-off upheaval in playing staff. Doing things at his pace is the kind of approach which would more likely keep him here.

Evolution, not revolution, I'd suggest.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Problem is TLO that does not sit well with many fans and the expectations that they have. It makes me uneasy - and I dont really know why - perhaps I am being very blinkered or just a bilt old-fashioned.

Perhpas its becuase of the disastrous financial mess we have been in before - a bit like your wife cheating on you, splitting up and then meeting a new amazing woman and worrying that the same will happen.

Bloom is not Archer or Stanley, but the wounds are only just healing with this season being the most effective tonic.

With no real understanding of how Bloom sees it - and that's the vinegar test - who knows what we could, would, might, won't do should we go up.

I also can see Poyet flouncing off in November due to lack of investment or support from the board with us marooned 10 points at the bottom and only a couple of additions in the summer.

God I am in a miserable mood today. Sorry.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Which is why at the end i clearly state that i could be way off the mark. I use the word 'belive' and supposition is what is left when one has, as I state very clearly 'I have no idea'.

When someone says they have no idea what else other than supposition do you expect????

My point was that your post was a bit 'pot calling the kettle black' i.e. you suggested the poster had no idea, then said you had no idea yourself.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You might have to define 'in a sensible manner' when it comes to nutcase wages and voracious agents; it's a different kettle of fish between Championship players and Premiership players' demands.

I get the feeling Gus doesn't want to 'make a good fist of staying up'. I get the feeling he wants to enter the top division running, and to be able to properly compete, not just survive. That will be made a bit more difficult by a big one-off upheaval in playing staff. Doing things at his pace is the kind of approach which would more likely keep him here.

Okay. I shall console you and provide a shoulder for you to cry on if we get promotion.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

We take what we earn, and we get on with it. Promotion only becomes a millstone if the club behaves irresponsibly and I'll define that as spending craploads of money on players who are not good enough to survive in the premier league. I do not think we will do that. I suspect that we would be on the look for fringe players at teams packed with superstars who offer little opportunity to talented but low-profile players (i.e. Razak who will almost certainly get his career up and running at another PL club). Quite simply I trust the decision makers at the club to do the right thing. Any additional spending will likely come from the NEW tv money, and the EXTRA seats (in the PL all seats sold guaranteed), without over stretching the current business plan.

I totally agree with the sentiment that we are getting ahead of ourselves, but right at this moment in time it is quite nice to speculate about a possible promotion as the team have got themselves in such a good position. Personally I do not think we will go up this season, but at least it is now within the realms of the possible and not an unreachable dream.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
My point was that your post was a bit 'pot calling the kettle black' i.e. you suggested the poster had no idea, then said you had no idea yourself.

Fair enough - if that's how it came across apologies. I meant the opening sentance as a question to the originial poster rather than suggesting he was making statements that I did not believe were true. Apologies.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair enough - if that's how it came across apologies. I meant the opening sentance as a question to the originial poster rather than suggesting he was making statements that I did not believe were true. Apologies.

No need to apologise.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
The big question for the 'ooh we don't want to go up' brigade is what do we do in our remaining fixtures? Throw them? Also were you celebrating Barnes's third on Saturday or thoughtfully shaking your heads whilst knowingly stroking your chins!

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Playoff's............ Yes would be a good finish to a good season.

Promotion ............No thanks, we are not ready. I'd rather have another good season or two in the Championshp than be the wipping boys in the Prem !

spot on!
being fair, i wouldnt even mind getting to the final for a cracking day out even if we lost.....as long as its not losing to saints! so lets beat them in the play off semis then have a good day at the final!

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I do actually think I love Gus Poyet...there i have said it....I LOVE GUS POYET.............

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I think you'd have to define 'compete properly'. Does gus think we'd be in with a shot of breaking into the top 4 in our first year? Top 6 for a place in europe? Because after that you are just competing for survival. If Gus doesn't want us going up until we can hit the top 6 or 7 he will be leaving us before we get promoted. That isn't something we can do in his 5 year plan. It's something we could only do if some rich russian or arab multi-billionaire took us over and turned us into the next man city or chelsea. No team goes up and competes. They go up and at best survive.

After surviving comes establishing, getting a better more experienced squad that can that make a challenge for european places, which then makes us appealing to even better players, and so on. Evolution, as you say.

I don't believe gus is naive enough to think his first season in the prem, if with us, will involve competing with anyone other than those wanting to avoid relegation.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
The big question for the 'ooh we don't want to go up' brigade is what do we do in our remaining fixtures? Throw them? Also were you celebrating Barnes's third on Saturday or thoughtfully shaking your heads whilst knowingly stroking your chins!

You have made a huge jump from a few people saying that we feel that promotion would be coming too soon to that effort! I just said that I did not think that we had the infrastrucutre yet (partially yes and defintely on the way) to make a fist of competing in the toughest league in the world.

Just remember how quick some on here and many at games are to get on players back, question Poyet and generally sream and shout - and that after a season so far where we have won 15 games and apart from a real wobble in December been in the top 6 or the top 12. I'm most worried about the fraility of some to be able buy-in and support a season of heavy defeats, rare wins and dismal runs. Look at the clubs in the bottom three of the Premier League at the moment - I'm just saying that after 7 months of Amex football some people seem to think we are ready to take on the Premier League.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
You have made a huge jump from a few people saying that we feel that promotion would be coming too soon to that effort! I just said that I did not think that we had the infrastrucutre yet (partially yes and defintely on the way) to make a fist of competing in the toughest league in the world.

Just remember how quick some on here and many at games are to get on players back, question Poyet and generally sream and shout - and that after a season so far where we have won 15 games and apart from a real wobble in December been in the top 6 or the top 12. I'm most worried about the fraility of some to be able buy-in and support a season of heavy defeats, rare wins and dismal runs. Look at the clubs in the bottom three of the Premier League at the moment - I'm just saying that after 7 months of Amex football some people seem to think we are ready to take on the Premier League.

Of course we may not be ready. However there is a real feeling on here that we can 'choose' when we get promoted. This is ridiculous in the extreme...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
spot on!
being fair, i wouldnt even mind getting to the final for a cracking day out even if we lost.....as long as its not losing to saints! so lets beat them in the play off semis then have a good day at the final!
As has been said before on this thread, I can just see you cheering on our opponents at Wembley in the play off final!

I'd love us to get promoted. It would be superb. And I really don't think "we're not ready yet". We've beaten a couple of *decent* Premiership sides already this season, and only lost narrowly to Liverpool at home. There are really only around a dozen sides at most we can't hope to compete with and of those, one or two of them are doing a great job of giving smaller clubs a chance (i.e. Aston Villa)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh dear, someone's being VERY selective.

I hope you do not make a public show of it, like rip up your season ticket and throw it at Gus or something. Well, it's a smartcard but you get my drift :lol:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If we got promoted (and I don't think we will) we will win a few games, pull off an occassional shock as well as get the occasional drubbing and be fighting relegation all season.

On the other hand an established Championship team like Leicester or Cardiff will what? Guarantee it would be no different

I fail to see how anyone is better or worse set up ... some will spend heavy in this div but doesn't make them any better prepared in my opinion.

The objective for us and all others I think would be to spend several seasons avoiding relegation before getting to the relative safety zone of an Everton, Fulham or Stoke who still flirt with relegation but aren't the bookies favourites at the start, and can encounter the odd bit of romance. To consider anything more is unrealistic unless some gazillionaire decides he wants a new plaything

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here