Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Playoffs: Poyet; 'We can do it'

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
if we squeeze into a top 6 spot - and it is certainly a real possibility the way we are playing - then it is a genuine lottery. 2 games to get to the final and anything can happen. As fans we have enjoyed that success and endured the failure even if the players haven't. A truly great season no matter what and (for those who are scared of promotion) just think - we may never have a better one! Enjoy! I certainly am :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Promotion ............No thanks, we are not ready. I'd rather have another good season or two in the Championshp than be the wipping boys in the Prem !

I have never understood this sentiment. What does a few extra years in a lower league give you which suitable team strengthening wouldn't? The key in my opinion is to be ruthless, and not neccessarily allow the team which got promoted the chance to prove themselves. Some might feel they have earned the right, but if they're not up to it there's no point hanging around.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I have never understood this sentiment. What does a few extra years in a lower league give you which suitable team strengthening wouldn't? The key in my opinion is to be ruthless, and not neccessarily allow the team which got promoted the chance to prove themself. Some might feel they have earned the right, but if they're not up to it there's no point hanging around.

There's an assumption that if you go up, you're good enough to compete in the next division up. Sometimes that's the case, sometimes it isn't. Look at us when we went up from Div III to II in 2002.

I know things are different but Gus doesn't want to just survive in the top division, he wants to be able to properly compete, and it takes about half a season for a new team to properly bed in, by which time, it's too late. And that's assuming he can be allowed to be 'ruthless' by Tony.

I think the issue is more 'we might be good enough to go up, but not good enough to stay up...' Massive difference.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
All he's doing is taking the pressure off the players, but you only have to see by how much he has strengthened the squad to understand what the real target is. He's ditched a decent striker like Hoskins (who everyone has almost forgotten about) and replaced him with Premiership experienced Sam Vokes. He has brought in Reyes, Mattock who have both slotted in well, and the two Ciddy lads look far too good for the Championship (well Razak does, too early to be 100% about Assulin).

Every single game in March looks winnable to me, except perhaps Blackpool away where I think we'll do well to take a draw. But if we have a March like last March, we'll be seeing the Argus headline "Top two: Poyet; 'We can do it'" come April 1st, and it won't be an April fool either.

With all that said, we really couldn't complain with a top 10 finish - overall it's been a great season.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Promotion ............No thanks, we are not ready. I'd rather have another good season or two in the Championshp than be the wipping boys in the Prem !

I get REALLY annoyed with this attitude. We cannot choose when we go up.

So this year we 'decide' not to go up? It may take another 15 years to get a better opportunity. When / if we go up TB is gonna have to spend about 25 million anyway be it this year or 2025.

In short - LET'S BLOODY GO FOR IT!!!!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I don't buy the "not ready" theory ... you got to take your chances when they are presented and give it your best. I don't really see the evidence that a long stint in the Champs sets a team up better nor that a short one is any worse. Even if we were to come down that's far better experience than we'd get in this div

All Gus is doing is hedging his bets ... he knows that the media will be looking at Brighton ... it's a bit of a fairy tale and good news story so he's doing the obvious pressure releasing. If we get into play off's, even go up he can take the glory for getting a bunch of inexperienced players into the top flight. If we don't he can simply say "I told you so" and continue our building.

No doubt whatsoever in my mind that he and TB are going for it hammer and tong

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I never thought we were good enough to go up until Saturday where I truly believe I saw us step up in class, a class that would be good enough to get out of this division. That was given to us by Abdul Razak who had the drive and power to make us attack instead of pass it sideways or backwards. it seem to give the other players a lift too.

I know it is a silly assumption to make off one game, but after Hull I thought we had a player that was way too good for us, Ipswich game showed that to a much wider audience.

The key now is to keep playing to Mackail-Smiths strengths and we start scoring, I believe the defence wont collapse again and we wont get thrashed, even if we do, I think we will win more than we lose from now until the end of the season.

This team is probably not good enough to stay up if we got promoted, I fear getting embarrassed every week like at Liverpool, but then if we dont go up this season, we may never get a better chance. Who knows?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
My thoughts almost identically, glad to hear that Gus is finally willing to listen to my advice :clap:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I don't buy the "not ready" theory ... you got to take your chances when they are presented and give it your best. I don't really see the evidence that a long stint in the Champs sets a team up better nor that a short one is any worse. Even if we were to come down that's far better experience than we'd get in this div

All Gus is doing is hedging his bets ... he knows that the media will be looking at Brighton ... it's a bit of a fairy tale and good news story so he's doing the obvious pressure releasing. If we get into play off's, even go up he can take the glory for getting a bunch of inexperienced players into the top flight. If we don't he can simply say "I told you so" and continue our building.

No doubt whatsoever in my mind that he and TB are going for it hammer and tong

This.

With an 8,000 extension over the two close seasons upcoming. Premier football will fill the Amex and then some!

Even if we don't make it this year, an all out assault will be made next year for sure, even that should see the gate sold out every game!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
it takes about half a season for a new team to properly bed in

There is no evidence either way though. I have seen teams immediately lifted by a bunch of new players, I have seen teams flounder because of bunch of new players. Newcastle brought a lot of new players in and as a result have performed well this term. And a lot of teams have made wholesale changes and suffered.

I'm sure a manager who knows what he is doing will be able to get a quick level of return from new purchases.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There is no evidence either way though. I have seen teams immediately lifted by a bunch of new players, I have seen teams flounder because of bunch of new players. Newcastle brought a lot of new players in and as a result have performed well this term. And a lot of teams have made wholesale changes and suffered.

I'm sure a manager who knows what he is doing will be able to get a quick level of return from new purchases.

True, but it's taken us a while this season.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
it takes about half a season for a new team to properly bed in.

If this is the case, we will be utterly brutal by the time the play-offs arrive and all our winter signings have bedded in.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
i dont buy either of the 'its too soon' or 'our players arent good enough for this league let alone the premier league' attitude

our players have proven that they are good enough for this league, and with improvement to the midfield we are now a team competing for the playoffs. All we need to do is strengthen, maybe spend a few million of that glorious £40m premier league payday money and go for a mid table to lower mid table finish a la norwich and swansea. I think with the right management (gus) and the right owner (TB) we could stay up.

if you get the chance, grab it by the throat. It defies belief that some fans would MOAN about getting promotion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here