Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Playoffs: Poyet; 'We can do it'

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Did you get here late and are replying to every post?

Of course there's no guarantee we'll be better, but there's no guarantee we'll be worse either, though most if not all the components are in place to only ever improve.

Obviously we're a lot more likely to improve if we go up, and even if we came back down the season after, we'd still probably have a stronger squad than before we initially went up, and a LOT more money in the bank.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Sorry guys but my feeling is the best possible outcome this year would be to reach the play-offs and lose the play off final, maximum revenue, great experience and good for next season's automatic push!

Then you have ZERO ambition... I am under-whelmed!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Without trawling through all the thread again, has anyone on here actually said that they don't want us to go up?

No, although some have made it clear that they don't want us to go up this season, including you...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No, although some have made it clear that they don't want us to go up this season, including you...

f***ing bollocks. You see, that royally pisses me off.

You have totally misrepresented me; I have said no such thing, and it isn't the case.

Believing we're not ready, and not wanting us to go up are two different things. By all means have an opinion, but don't tell lies about me.

Techno

Oct 23, 2006
West Midlands
Without reading through 9 pages I can't see why anyone doesn't want us to go up this season if we could.

From our performances against Sunderland and Newcastle this season (and the addition of a few better players) we'd probably give staying up a good go. And if we do come straight back down we would be in SUCH a stronger financial position to nail it next time around.

Just look at the current top 5, 3 of them were relegated from the Prem last season, says it all. Before Blackpool went up no-one would have had them as solid play-off (or even top 2) contenders in this division, but the money they got from just one season in the Premier League means that they now are.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Did you get here late and are replying to every post?

Of course there's no guarantee we'll be better, but there's no guarantee we'll be worse either, though most if not all the components are in place to only ever improve.

Yes, catching-up, and enjoying the 'pessimist / optimist' debate (don't take that too literally!)...

I'm obviously in the latter camp...

I agree that we will likely improve BTW...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
got your own belifs pal

So you would enjoy seeing us lose in a play-off final with the promised land at stake!? What kind of supporter does that make you? As I say, ridiculous...

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
I think if we got promoted, with the money gained from that and if we can keep a few of our current loan players and maybe bring a few in, I truly believe we could stay up. Plus the extra 8,000 odd extra seats, we would certainly look like a Premiership team...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

You have totally misrepresented me; I have said no such thing, and it isn't the case.

Believing we're not ready, and not wanting us to go up are two different things. By all means have an opinion, but don't tell lies about me.

Fair enough, I apologise...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The last time we got to a playoff final to reach the top league was in 1991; we lost then and haven't been close since.
Who knows how things would have been different if we'd gone up?

This year is a fantastic chance to go up if we have a great March / April / May, and I'd love us to be successful.

In the Premier League I'd have every confidence that with Tony and Gus and decent planning, we'd be competitive enough to stay up, and wouldn't just be making up the numbers.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Some of the comments on here are utterly laughable!! The fact is we are in a brilliant position as we have 50+ points and can have a fun couple of months with no pressure to see where it takes us. If we make the play-offs then great. If we win them then even better. If we don't we'll have another go next season but everyone should remember there is no devine right for any team to get into the Prem so grab it with both hands if the opportunity come along!!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Some of the comments on here are utterly laughable!! The fact is we are in a brilliant position as we have 50+ points and can have a fun couple of months with no pressure to see where it takes us. If we make the play-offs then great. If we win them then even better. If we don't we'll have another go next season but everyone should remember there is no devine right for any team to get into the Prem so grab it with both hands if the opportunity come along!!

Surely this ends the thread. Spot on!

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
So you would enjoy seeing us lose in a play-off final with the promised land at stake!? What kind of supporter does that make you? As I say, ridiculous...

did i say that though? no i didnt
what i was saying is that i wouldnt exacly cry about it. Yeh i'd love to get promoted but if it didnt happen weve had such a great year i wouldnt be crying about not getting promoted. That way if we dont, we can still reflect on a great year
tell me how that is ridiculous

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford

same as what i said, and that B.W. seems like an idiot who only looks one way XD. He completely twisted what i said too!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Then you have ZERO ambition... I am under-whelmed!

I have huge ambition both personally and for the club, which is why I am saying this. You cannot build a team capable of staying and acheiving in the Premier League within 2-3 seasons from struggling in League One. Lovin' the "under whelmed" bit though!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Gus Poyet has admitted he may have underestimated Albion's playoff chances.

Poyet: "Until the beginning of January we didn't have enough consistency to be proper contenders for the play offs or going up

If we look at the last two months I've got a problem, I'm not going to lie. We have been ten times better, so it all depends what we do from now until the end.

If we can maintain a consistency - I don't mean not losing but being a proper team - then who knows?

You can win or lose. The other day at Hull we were not the better team but got a point. Against Ipswich we took our chances and if it goes like that who knows? But it's not our aim.

I know everyone wants to go to the Premier League tomorrow. I want to go as well but we cannot put that pressure on the players because that's not fair when most of them have not been in this situation in their lives. It is the first time and they are doing quite well"

Argus..

He handles interviews a wee bit better than Mr Di Canio!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I think if we got promoted, with the money gained from that and if we can keep a few of our current loan players and maybe bring a few in, I truly believe we could stay up. Plus the extra 8,000 odd extra seats, we would certainly look like a Premiership team...

If we pulled it off this year, it would prob be 2-3 years before we planned, so survival would depend on TB dipping deep in his pockets for survival first off, personally, i think he would! But as history has shown, a lot of 'newbies' in the PL tend to struggle more in their second season than the first, probably because they carry over momentum from the previous promotion year for the first, then get 'found out' the second time around when they fail to invest enough thinking they've cracked it! Hopefully we're planning ahead to avoid that.

Saying that, i'd happily do a 'Blackpool' and enjoy a year in the sun, in full knowledge we'd be back sooner rather than later!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here