Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Playoffs: Poyet; 'We can do it'

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Playoff's............ Yes would be a good finish to a good season.

Promotion ............No thanks, we are not ready. I'd rather have another good season or two in the Championshp than be the wipping boys in the Prem !
What makes you think we would be whipping boys.

For a start, he'd release about 8 players, and sign another 8 better players, as he has done from league one to championship.

On top of that we have beaten Newcastle and Sunderland at home, as well as pushing Liverpool all the way at the Amex.

Don't let that freakish result at Anfield cloud your judgement. Probably 3-1 would have been a fairer result there, and had they not scored right on half time, who knows what may have happened.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Take promotion when you can, you may never get the chance again. Imagine if we did not make it and then Gus moves on and we see a steady decline :(

I know it sounds perverse but I would take going up to the prem and coming back down again. Blackpool did it and have now got parachute payments and what a wonderful year they had, I bet their fans would not swap that year in the prem for anything.

Exactly... can't reject promotion if it comes along and with the increase to the grounds capacity could be another boost when the season tickets go on sale... similar to the championship promotion with the new ground...

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I agree, my main concern at the moment though, is that the team that gets us there would not be the team that starts the season by default, rather than by design, because of the amount of loanees on board.

That said, there is no point not going up because of the financial rewards it would bring. Even a subsequent relegation would preferable to staying in the Championship for another year, as the balloon payment would allow for better strengthening potential rather than building more slowly.
But I think the two West Brom boys, and VOkes will sign over the summer anyway. Are they not all out of contract.

If we ended the season well enough to go up, I could well see Man City loaning us the two youngsters for the season. Where better than learn your trade with a footballking playing side than in the premiership.

On top of that we'd go out and sign another 6 or so players.

I dont buy this not ready yet stuff, and nor does Gus. WHat he said is perfect to take the pressure of the players, but promotions been the aim all season and still is. If it wasn't then why make 5 premiership loans? If he is "building" a team why not just go with our prementant signings, and give them experience.

Bloom wants premiership next season. Gus wants premiership next season.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I was firmly entrenched in the "We'd be silly to go up this season" for months. I was of the opinion that we'd just be the team holding up the rest of the table, bottom place for the duration and I didn't want that. Obviously I want the team to succeed and blaze on up the table but I reached the conclusion that whatever they do; whether the get promoted and come straight back down, or go up and stay up or don't go up at all, they're still my team and I'll be clapping them on regardless.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
As has been said before on this thread, I can just see you cheering on our opponents at Wembley in the play off final!

I'd love us to get promoted. It would be superb. And I really don't think "we're not ready yet". We've beaten a couple of *decent* Premiership sides already this season, and only lost narrowly to Liverpool at home. There are really only around a dozen sides at most we can't hope to compete with and of those, one or two of them are doing a great job of giving smaller clubs a chance (i.e. Aston Villa)

Good one mong, try reading again. I said even IF we lost i wouldnt mind. Jesus Christ....yeh i think if we were to go up we could emulate swansea and norwich. I would just prefer to go up and enjoy our 1st year of premiership football in a finished stadium with a fantastic training facilty in place

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would just prefer to go up and enjoy our 1st year of premiership football in a finished stadium with a fantastic training facilty in place

I can just see it now. First game of the season. Half time in the WSU concourse. We're 2 nil up against Chelsea. Lights, camera, ACTION:

Dave: What'dya reckon then Bob? Isn't this AMAZING? We're properly living the dream!

Bob: Yeah, not bad mate I dunno....something's still bothering me though, can't put my finger on what...actually...it's the training centre. I dunno, it's just...it's unfinished. I just can't enjoy this game knowing that over in Lancing we've got a project...secured, yes, but not finished. Sorry mate, leave me out of this one.

*Bob hands Dave his pint and walks back down the steps and out of the Amex, shaking his head sadly.*

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
But I think the two West Brom boys, and VOkes will sign over the summer anyway. Are they not all out of contract.

If we ended the season well enough to go up, I could well see Man City loaning us the two youngsters for the season. Where better than learn your trade with a footballking playing side than in the premiership.

On top of that we'd go out and sign another 6 or so players.

I dont buy this not ready yet stuff, and nor does Gus. WHat he said is perfect to take the pressure of the players, but promotions been the aim all season and still is. If it wasn't then why make 5 premiership loans? If he is "building" a team why not just go with our prementant signings, and give them experience.

Bloom wants premiership next season. Gus wants premiership next season.

I appreciate he's changing his tune due to our great position/situation, but Gus has said at at least twice before that 'we're not ready yet/just to come back down again/be whipping boys' (think he' even used the "I don't want to go up yet.." sentance ???)

DT shouldn't be castigated for being equally concerned here; he raises good points that i guess quite a few here feel too :)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'm looking forward to us beating SCC in the play-off final. How sweet would that be?!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We're going to need a new ground built over the summer because 30k ain't gonna cut it in the Premiership with all the thousands of plastic Mancs and Scousers scrambling for tickets alongside everyone else. Either that or another three tiers on top of the West should suffice for our inaugural Premiership season and until we can get the new ground built.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
I did have a long answer written for this, then I hit the wrong button. :facepalm:

So rather than type it all out, I'll just have to suffice with... rubbish.

Right, that is just your opinion. And in my opinion....the only teams i think are better than us currently and would only worry against in the playoffs who are above us are....

- Reading
- West Ham

Therefore I would always take this position we are in now, then guessing what will happen in the future which you are doing.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Sorry guys but my feeling is the best possible outcome this year would be to reach the play-offs and lose the play off final, maximum revenue, great experience and good for next season's automatic push!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I'm with Brett - after Saturday, I really believe we can mount some sort of challenge, if we can maintain the sort of form we showed against Ipswich.

It's a big ask but crucially, I think Gus has now admitted that he needs to sometimes tailor the way we play. In particular, he now knows that CMS needs a different type of service to the stuff we have served up so far. Razak in midfield has given us the means to get the ball forward far more quickly.

It has the potential to be a very exciting end to the season. This time last season, Norwich were only 6 points better off than we are now and had played a game more.

Why shouldn't we dream?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Right, that is just your opinion. And in my opinion....the only teams i think are better than us currently and would only worry against in the playoffs who are above us are....

- Reading
- West Ham

Therefore I would always take this position we are in now, then guessing what will happen in the future which you are doing.

I take your point about the form teams, but I see nothing to worry about from Charlton nor the Sheffield clubs, nor have I seen any evidence of Gus 'probably' (i.e. more than 50% likely) leaving.

You, too, are guessing the future.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Playoff's............ Yes would be a good finish to a good season.

Promotion ............No thanks, we are not ready. I'd rather have another good season or two in the Championshp than be the wipping boys in the Prem !

Yeh but surely Millions would be spent on the team to make room for improvements. Tony Bloom is no mug. If we got to the Premier league he would want to stay there and would put serious money towards that.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Are the remarks by Gus a response to Warnock's announcement that Leeds are going all out to be in the play offs and the very slim chance of 2nd spot ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm with Brett - after Saturday, I really believe we can mount some sort of challenge, if we can maintain the sort of form we showed against Ipswich.

It's a big ask but crucially, I think Gus has now admitted that he needs to sometimes tailor the way we play. In particular, he now knows that CMS needs a different type of service to the stuff we have served up so far. Razak in midfield has given us the means to get the ball forward far more quickly.

It has the potential to be a very exciting end to the season. This time last season, Norwich were only 6 points better off than we are now and had played a game more.

Why shouldn't we dream?

Exactly, dream but take nothing for granted. We don't want to appear arrogant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here