Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players clubbing/ Mark Wright smoking

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I saw Kurt Nogan round the Hove Park Tavern once, having a few fags & a pint. The following saturday he scored two goals against Cambridge United and we won 4-1.

I can see both sides of the arguments on this one and having been a smoker for 15 odd years before I gave up, I can understand how players can smoke and still perform at a very high level and no one should judge a player based on their personal life, but hey, that's society nowawadays.

If the players mentioned at the top of the thread were out clubbing on a night where there was no training, then great because at least you can see that the newer players are bonding with our current lot!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I saw Kurt Nogan round the Hove Park Tavern once, having a few fags & a pint. The following saturday he scored two goals against Cambridge United and we won 4-1.

I can see both sides of the arguments on this one and having been a smoker for 15 odd years before I gave up, I can understand how players can smoke and still perform at a very high level and no one should judge a player based on their personal life, but hey, that's society nowawadays.

If the players mentioned at the top of the thread were out clubbing on a night where there was no training, then great because at least you can see that the newer players are bonding with our current lot!
I don't think anyone's 'judging' the players are they? Not morally - although Mrs Coach did make a good point about 'setting an example', which as a youth coach yourself I'm sure you can relate to.

One point - with respect I don't think you can say how you can understand how players can smoke and still play at the highest level since I doubt that you did, however I'm sure that drinking and smoking made no difference to your game at the level at which you played. I'm not having a pop, I'm the same. I'm still playing five-a-side football (Pitch Invasion) at 52 and the other week I had nothing to eat before the game except a banana at lunch time. However last week I had sausage, mash, beans and half a bottle of red wine about an hour before I played. It made NO difference to my game!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I once interviewed a top player and asked him about drinking etc. He said finely tuned athletes bodies were similar to a classic car like a Rolls Royce in that if they are not kept in tip top condition the slightest thing going wrong or the slightest tweak etc could knock them out for longer than it would on your or I.

Hence why something like a dead leg keeps pros out for ages because it puts their body out of sink.

Sync, Richie. Sync.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Hat-trick wasn't it?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If true and a player is smoking and drinking (more than hardly ever), then there are simply taking the piss out the fans who pay money to watch them in my opinion.

If players can't take their physical condition seriously, then quite frankly I can't take my support of them seriously either.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Strange how some people care that players are having a FAG... FFS I'm much more pissed off about the drink driving players we've had and kept.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Deco was on 40 a day? Assuming he trains til about midday that leaves about 10 hours before bed which means he smoked one every 15 mins. That's dedication for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here