Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players clubbing/ Mark Wright smoking

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
havent got a problem with any of that, they're entitled to a social life. and like you said they weren't drinking heavily so there's no problem. And as for Mark Wright having a smoke, yeah he probably shouldnt be, but i really doubt a few cigarettes is going to affect an athlete who is training nearly every day of the week....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm sure I read somewhere that Deco used to be a really heavy smoker, more than 2 packets a day until he came to Chelsea, now he has cut down drastically

Deco was really good until he came to Chelsea and turned shit overnight. Let them all smoke...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Deco was really good until he came to Chelsea and turned shit overnight. Let them all smoke...

Agreed, I was really quite looking forward to seeing a masterclass from him at Chelsea but I guess all the money in his pockets was weighing him down, he was largely pony all season

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not overly keen on having one of our "flying wingers" smoking tabs through the week.
For every Cruyff (who is always trotted out as the inevitable example), there's probably a gazillion clapped out footballers at the arse end of the League who never did anything of note with their careers, thanks in nom small part to a regular dose of cancersticks when they're out and about.

Arsene WENGER wouldn't stand for it. Theo would be sent to his room and grounded for a month with no Playstation.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Mutu smoked and nothing bad happened to him...

Seriously you don't know if he is just an occasional social smoker or a 40 a day man, but if he produces on the pitch and Slade is happy with what he does during his own time then who are we to argue. Players are entitled to a social life

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
OH NO, he was out past his BED TIME and smoking one of the EVIL CANCER STICKS. String him up!

Who gives a shit, it's his life and his career. If he starts playing crap every week then we can give him some stick. If you're training every day a few fags won't make any difference to your general fitness.

the hitman

Jan 17, 2008
Viva Las Burgess Hill
OH NO, he was out past his BED TIME and smoking one of the EVIL CANCER STICKS. String him up!

Who gives a shit, it's his life and his career. If he starts playing crap every week then we can give him some stick. If you're training every day a few fags won't make any difference to your general fitness.

But it can effect you're training....

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So what about said person in your avatar?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can a cheeky one really affect ones performance ? Not sure.
I read somewhere that your body can handle one or two cigarettes a month with no affect on your health.

That said, it's still a shit habit so I don't really understand why a soccerball player would consider it a good way to spend his leisure time.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Whats the problem?
His choice if he smokes. If it affects his career, then its up to him. Social smoking is "acceptable" for alot of people. So long as he's not churning through 40 a day, then the odd one here or there shouldnt really be a problem?
Christ if I cant go out with my mates and have a few drinks every now and then, then I would end up killing myself.
We all humans at the end of the day.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not saying STRING HIM UP or anything. I have no idea how many he gets through a day, maybe he just has the odd one or two when he's out and about, I dunno.

But as Simster says, its not a habit you'd expect of professional footballers in this day and age. Its a short career, you'd think most pro's would do everything they can to get the most out of it, and smoking just doesn't seem compatible with that profession.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Simon Garner, drank like a fish and smoked like a trooper, but didnt stop him becoming Blackburn's record scorer

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Do they really train at 8am? I find that hard to believe!

As long as they get the results on the pitch I couldn't give a rats arse what they are up to off of it (within the law).

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
berb460.jpg

article-1029272-01BB832A00000578-725_468x401.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here