Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players clubbing/ Mark Wright smoking

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
What a load of sanctimonious bollocks! If they want to smoke and have drink. so what! Maybe if they didn't they could play in a higher league, but that is their choice!

Bumped into the legendary Shane Warne at Lords during the FP final, he had just popped out of the tv studio for a quick fag, just think how good he could have been if he didn't smoke!

At the very highest level in football, it might just make a minute difference, possibly even the difference between being 1st and 2nd, but at league 1 level, who gives a f***?!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Hmm, maybe. But none of the top managers condone it; indeed Benitez said that footballers drinking was like "putting diesel into a Formula One racing car."

If FIA rules didn't require them to run on standard Unleaded 95 (although its filtered and purified to f***, you could run any standard car on it) I'm sure someone would have tried a diesel! The Audi R10 TDI and Peugeot 908 HDI are more than just slightly successful in the auld Le Mans...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What a load of sanctimonious bollocks! If they want to smoke and have drink. so what! Maybe if they didn't they could play in a higher league, but that is their choice!

Bumped into the legendary Shane Warne at Lords during the FP final, he had just popped out of the tv studio for a quick fag, just think how good he could have been if he didn't smoke!

At the very highest level in football, it might just make a minute difference, possibly even the difference between being 1st and 2nd, but at league 1 level, who gives a f***?!

I am not that bothered in the slightest, but Shane Warne was a very bad example. He scores runs from boundaries, he has a very short run up and he fields in the slips. Hardly going to be pushing for a national best in the 100m for Australia, whatever the weather.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

His mate Tim May used smoke like a chimney, i know because he was always nicking mine when he played for Horsham

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
They work in a high stress industry like anyone else they deserve to be able to go out for a few drinks, at least they went out together rather than with their own friends, it wasn't mentioned they were wankered either. And I'm sure they were out with big Russ' blessing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"High stress industry" ? What, playing FOOTBALL for a living ? A few hours training a day, followed by an afternoon of golf, horses or Playstation, then maybe a coachride and a match at the end of the week ?

Yeah poor bastards. They must be totally burnt out. :rolleyes:
Footballers don't even have to wipe their own ARSES these days.

flying high

May 12, 2009
at the end of the day providing they all perform on the pitch,who cares how they live there life and what they do

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
"High stress industry" ? What, playing FOOTBALL for a living ? A few hours training a day, followed by an afternoon of golf, horses or Playstation, then maybe a coachride and a match at the end of the week ?

Yeah poor bastards. They must be totally burnt out. :rolleyes:
Footballers don't even have to wipe their own ARSES these days.

Well they do a job where people are constantly assessing them be it fitness tests or by folk like us on here, also having to perform in front of x thousand people a week. Of course there are more stressful jobs.

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
I dont think anyones mentioned the example they should be setting for the kids. I was horrified when Berb turned up to sign his contract with a fag in his hand. Celebrity is the new religion, and footballers are priv. members of society. Kids need little enough encouragement to start smoking - I think they should set an example *(waits for the smokers to start shouting 'freedom of choice')*

I dont think anyones mentioned the example they should be setting for the kids. I was horrified when Berb turned up to sign his contract with a fag in his hand. Celebrity is the new religion, and footballers are priv. members of society. Kids need little enough encouragement to start smoking - I think they should set an example *(waits for the smokers to start shouting 'freedom of choice')*

To be fair Mrs C I don't think you can say that Wright, having a crafty cigarette at 3am, would be setting an example to any kids at the time! I do agree with your point more generally though.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Fashionista Football Fans........

Agreed - but these are professional footballers. Ok they're not actually playing (or being paid) at 3:00am but their bodies are still those of professional athletes. It's not a question of what their allowed to do, of course they can go and get pissed and smoke themselves to death if they wish, but have you not read the posts on this thread saying how the MODERN professional needs to look after themselves all the time? It's not the 1970s any more; If they were TRULY professional they would be looking to make the best of themselves, to get any edge they can, and not just aiming to see out their contracts by doing only what they're paid to do and no more.

But then they are only playing for Brighton so by definition they're not top-rate pro's so yeah let 'em smoke and drink. After all we're not going to win anything so who gives a f***? You obviously don't.

Actually I do give a f**k. I just do not believe in being answerable to my employers 24 hours a day, seven days a week etc.. If I cannot do my job I get fired, fair enough. You obviously are a fan of the totalitarian state involving speed cameras, health and safety executives and government bodies to stop any kinds of 'isms'. You hide behind the responsibilty of others to make the world a better place, rather than doing it for yourself and accepting your own mistakes. Oh for old fashioned working class football fans who realised that matchday was a day out, time to relax and release frustrations and passions. I was crying at Albion results back in '77 and have continued to ride the Seagulls rollercoaster ever since, I just don't believe a bloke I have ever met should behave in a manner I approve of just because I choose to put about 18 pence in his pocket every week.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Actually I do give a f**k. I just do not believe in being answerable to my employers 24 hours a day, seven days a week etc.. If I cannot do my job I get fired, fair enough. You obviously are a fan of the totalitarian state involving speed cameras, health and safety executives and government bodies to stop any kinds of 'isms'. You hide behind the responsibilty of others to make the world a better place, rather than doing it for yourself and accepting your own mistakes. Oh for old fashioned working class football fans who realised that matchday was a day out, time to relax and release frustrations and passions. I was crying at Albion results back in '77 and have continued to ride the Seagulls rollercoaster ever since, I just don't believe a bloke I have ever met should behave in a manner I approve of just because I choose to put about 18 pence in his pocket every week.
What a load of bollocks! You know f*** all about me so why are you attempting to say what I think on a load of completely unrelated subjects? As it happens I probably agree with you with reagrd to the insidious march of the Paternalistc State - but that's not what's being discussed is it? You think it's ok for players to smoke and drink. Honestly, that's fair enough. I think that in order for players to get the best performance out of themselves they shouldn't do it. And I want Brighton players to be the best they possibly can, ergo I don't want them smoking and drinking. It's got nothing to do with totalitarianism or Big Brother, it's just the modern concept of 'being professional'. And the top modern pro's, especially the foreigners, don't do it.

And I also think with your rant about 'working class fans' you're confusing fans with players. Yes I know in the old days the players went to the match on the same bus as the fans and earnt the same wage, but those days are over. It's not 'just a job' any more, it's gone all hi-tech - and that includes the players fitness and conditioning. (See Walt Jabasco's post further up).

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Where's the proof all these foreigners don't smoke? It appears to me that its the foreigners that are the ones being photo'd doing it.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ronaldo got caught smoking a fag once.
Oh I know there's exceptions even today, but in the 'old days' when they showed pictures of players relaxing they ALL always had pints and fags, and even in the 1st division players would roll out of the pub and go and play. Certainly Chelsea ones did! I saw a classic 1960s advert for pubs a while ago, it showed Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters all in the pub with their wives. They were all having a pint, a fag and a game of darts like 'ordinary' people. The voiceover at the end said something like "So why not go down the pub tonight like Mr and Mrs Bobby Moore?"

Different era, different approach.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here