Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players clubbing/ Mark Wright smoking

the hitman

Jan 17, 2008
Viva Las Burgess Hill
Last saturday, Dean Cox, Harty, James Tunnicliffe, Liam Dickinson, Craig Davies and Mark Wright were seen, by me, In Cuckoo club at 3am. I did'nt have a problem with this as they are bound to want a good social life outside of football, However, i did check to see if they was drinking. They wernt.

Was a little worried on tuesday night however, when i sore Coxy, Liam Dickinson and Mark Wright out again, This time in Digital, Again at 3am, considering they have training at 8am? the next morning, and we have a game four days later, this cant be very wise...

What did get to me though, was Mark Wright, having a fag outside, this is not profesional behaviour and im sure RS would be disgusted.

:rant::rant:

However, if they give a good performance Saturday, and continue to do so all season, i'm not complaining.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
If you work in a shop and go out clubbing until 3am and then go into work and still manage to perform to the same standards as you usually do would your boss moan?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
(1) They get Wednesdays off half the time

(2) Even if they had been drinking, a couple of drinks does not equate to starting a fight then collapsing on the pavement outside in a pool of your own vomit.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
As long as they are not having more than 1 or 2 drinks, then whats the problem? it would be the same as having some beers at home watching tv until 3am

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It does seem bonkers that a professional athlete would be on the TABS, not exactly what is needed when a lung bursting gallop up the field is needed are you're too busy coughing up your lungs with tar.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Serge Blanco who used to be France's full back in rugby and was World Class used to smoke 40+ Gitanes a day, I'd rather have a Slade vaguely skillful smoking player than a teetotal non smoking Micky Adams (Mark 2) player...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Don't see the problem myself, so long as they were behaving like any other decent person on a night out and not doing anything illegal/stupid/potentially career damaging then they're as entitled to enjoy themselves on their night off as any of us.

No need to be so disapproving.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
No professional footballer should be smoking. Hence why Fergie went CHUCKAMENTAL when he saw pics of Macheda having a fag on holiday.

And really, I would have to agree it probably isn't good form to be out clubbing until the early hours of the morning.

Nobody is saying they should not have the occasion pint or glass of wine but all things in moderation eh?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Don't see the problem myself, so long as they were behaving like any other decent person on a night out and not doing anything illegal/stupid/potentially career damaging then they're as entitled to enjoy themselves on their night off as any of us.

Agree with that APART from the smoking a fag bit, really do not think a professional athlete should be smoking. Bit of a stooopid place to do it as well, not exactly a 'crafty one' is it.

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
Loads of my mates have a cheeky fag when they have a couple of drinks and one of them is a triathlete...

Can a cheeky one really affect ones performance ? Not sure.

Does every inch count when you are playing at this level ? Yes, probably.

Lets just get the season started before we start stirring a vat of bullshit news about our players.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Lets see if we WIN or LOSE on saturday.

If we LOSE then lets get on their backs. If we WIN then long may it continue...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It does seem bonkers that a professional athlete would be on the TABS, not exactly what is needed when a lung bursting gallop up the field is needed are you're too busy coughing up your lungs with tar.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Deco used to be a really heavy smoker, more than 2 packets a day until he came to Chelsea, now he has cut down drastically

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Zidane had a fag before the world cup final didn't he? think what he'd have done if he hadn't cleared his head

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Hmm, maybe. But none of the top managers condone it; indeed Benitez said that footballers drinking was like "putting diesel into a Formula One racing car."

Not drinking and not stuffing yourself silly on Christmas Day are two of the little inconvieniences you have to put up with if you want to be successful footballer. Mind you the same rules probably don't apply to third division journeymen - but didn't Slade want to stamp out the drinking culture in the club?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I once interviewed a top player and asked him about drinking etc. He said finely tuned athletes bodies were similar to a classic car like a Rolls Royce in that if they are not kept in tip top condition the slightest thing going wrong or the slightest tweak etc could knock them out for longer than it would on your or I.

Hence why something like a dead leg keeps pros out for ages because it puts their body out of sink.

It seems a hugely odl fashioned English attitude among footballers to still enjoy a night on the beers. Speak to foreign imports and they hardly touch a drop.

Yes they are young men. But young men who have the incredible privilege of playing football for a living and making a small fortune.

Not going out until 3am, not knocking back the cocktails and beers and not smoking should be a small price to pay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here