Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

petition to get Becks in Team GB

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Anybody who thinks Beckham can play 5 games in 11 days (or 6 in 15 if we make the final) is an idiot

You do realise he wouldn't have to play every game......

Antonio Cassano cant play more than 60 mins a match at the moment. He is in the Euro final.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Entirely in favour of giving the man a big role at the Olympics - he has worked hard enough to earn it.

But that doesn't have to be a playing role - and his omission from the squad does in no way mean this isn't about "Britian".

(As an aside though - the petition to the government/PM about Falmer was also 'wrong' from an English language perspective, but we all signed it...)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Piss off to USA, Becks./QUOTE]

His choice to live there, his choice to promote himself at every opportunity, best place to take his circus. They love all that image promotion shit in California.

His days as an England/GB footballer are behind him, be good when he and the media accept it.

I'm sure he'll be given plenty of photo opportunities during the games.

I would have loved to have seen Beckham represent Team GB, he does, in my opinion, epitomise what playing for your country should mean to professional sportsmen. But I'm afraid he just isn't up to it now and that is the only shame about it.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
After the work he put in to win the Olympics for us, I'll be sad to see him not represented in the squad. I'd certainly pick him ahead of Bellamy ffs.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Piss off to USA, Becks./QUOTE]

His choice to live there, his choice to promote himself at every opportunity, best place to take his circus. They love all that image promotion shit in California.

His days as an England/GB footballer are behind him, be good when he and the media accept it.

WHY should he accept it? why?

We COMPLAIN when players 'retire' from international football or 'refuse' to be selected, and we CONSTANTLY complain that players 'dont care' about their country.

For once, there is a star player DESPERATE to keep representing his country. Is that something to be slammed? really?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Matthew Norman in the Telegraph sums it up for me -

"Richards is only eligible because he didn’t travel to Euro 2012, having grandly declined a place in Roy Hodgson’s back-up squad; whereas Beckham would have crawled to Ukraine on his knees for a shot at being a 93rd-minute substitute."

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Matthew Norman in the Telegraph sums it up for me -

"Richards is only eligible because he didn’t travel to Euro 2012, having grandly declined a place in Roy Hodgson’s back-up squad; whereas Beckham would have crawled to Ukraine on his knees for a shot at being a 93rd-minute substitute."

Very much this. Still, I won't be signing. Nothing will change now, unless there's an injury.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
What a load of shite.
Anyway,football in the Olympics is a joke anyway!

This. Don't believe footy should be in the olympics. And judging by ticket sales, nor do the vast majority of this country.

We COMPLAIN when players 'retire' from international football or 'refuse' to be selected, and we CONSTANTLY complain that players 'dont care' about their country.

For once, there is a star player DESPERATE to keep representing his country. Is that something to be slammed? really?

That is exactly what I tried to put, and failed.

Well said sir.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Oh for gods sake :facepalm: He is past it, no point picking someone who is past it. Psycho should just bring him along as a coach - might shut some people up.

Although Craig Bellamy isnt really an inspired choice, surely there are others !!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Because he's past it at International level and it would just become another Beckham Circus which would be an insult to the other players for that to happen. Not forgetting the whole team would have to revolve around him AGAIN. No thanks, I don't care how desperate he is for one last shot in the limlight

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Being desperate to play is no reason to select someone to play. What a load of nonsense - I have absolutely no problem with Beckham. Decent footballer in his day and seemingly good bloke but it doesn't give him any right to play for Team GB.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You do realise he wouldn't have to play every game......

Antonio Cassano cant play more than 60 mins a match at the moment. He is in the Euro final.

Yes I do, but I cannot see the point in wasting a place in the team for him, he should have been given the managers job in the first place - or come in as a coach

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Because he's past it at International level and it would just become another Beckham Circus which would be an insult to the other players for that to happen. Not forgetting the whole team would have to revolve around him AGAIN. No thanks, I don't care how desperate he is for one last shot in the limlight

I get what you're saying, but you're on a different topic to me.

I'm disputing your comment that HE should just give up.

Whether he SHOULD be picked or not is seperate. However, you can't surely CRITICISE his determination to still want to represent his country? surely?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here