Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

petition to get Becks in Team GB

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Actually, before the tourno Milner wasn't known (either way) for his crossing and turned out quite good at it as a direct (imo) result of Beckham's coaching.

Granted, not sure what else he contributed, only the players there really know.

In South Africa? I'd say f*** all because that was the biggest shambles I've ever seen from an England team at a tournament

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I like Beckham as a bloke, seems decent enough and, having thought about it, I think a place should have been found for him in the squad. It's not like it will make a whole load of difference what with Olympic football carrying a level of interest for me just below that of the MTL.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I like Beckham as a bloke, seems decent enough and, having thought about it, I think a place should have been found for him in the squad. It's not like it will make a whole load of difference what with Olympic football carrying a level of interest for me just below that of the MTL.

The thing is this tournemnet has not been sanctioned by any of the home nations, ( mainly because they want to retain their identity, so Team GB is a showcase event and who is the biggest showman in British football ( probably in world football). the matches will be exhibition matches that is all...everyone realises that.

I just think they have missed a trick here.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Actually, before the tourno Milner wasn't known (either way) for his crossing and turned out quite good at it as a direct (imo) result of Beckham's coaching.

Granted, not sure what else he contributed, only the players there really know.

That seems quite a leap of faith that you have put that down to Beckhams "coaching".

Personally, I think his crossing was another thing the media over here bashed us over the head about until we just believed he was the only person in Britain who could cross a ball. We had about a decade basically being told that Beckhams delivery was a million miles ahead of anyone else in our team, and therefore without him we could wave goodbye to goals from crosses and set pieces. Then we get an absolutely sublime cross from Gerrard for Lescotts header at Euro 12, and maybe we would have always had that sort of delivery from Stevie G, if all set pieces hadn't automatically passed to Golden Balls.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Rubbish, since when did work off the pitch count in someones favour. By that logic if Mark Farrington had promoted Albion night and day he would have been picked every week. The only decision Pearce can make is whether Beckham is currently a better footballing asset to the squad than Giggs etc

bollocks. If anyone was taking this seriously, there would be a squad full of the best talent from all four home nations and that is patently not the case as they home nations have refused to sanction the team.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That seems quite a leap of faith that you have put that down to Beckhams "coaching".

Personally, I think his crossing was another thing the media over here bashed us over the head about until we just believed he was the only person in Britain who could cross a ball. We had about a decade basically being told that Beckhams delivery was a million miles ahead of anyone else in our team, and therefore without him we could wave goodbye to goals from crosses and set pieces. Then we get an absolutely sublime cross from Gerrard for Lescotts header at Euro 12, and maybe we would have always had that sort of delivery from Stevie G, if all set pieces hadn't automatically passed to Golden Balls.

bit of rewriting of history there Gritty....I remember one game at wembley where we were playing pants and couldnt get the ball in at all...Beckham came on and transformed the game with his distribution and I seem to recall a free kick that John terry scored with his head from. He always gave 100% when playing for his country and his record bears that out....

anyway its all acedemic now as he has gone and we can look forward to the scintilating skills of Ashley Young and Milner.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
bollocks. If anyone was taking this seriously, there would be a squad full of the best talent from all four home nations and that is patently not the case as they home nations have refused to sanction the team.

From my days on Surrey FA. Under FA rules any player or official must not take part in a match that has not been sanctioned by the relevant FA authority and anyone who plays or officiates in a football match to which the FA (or county FA) have not sanctioned will be banned from playing in any future matches that are sanctioned. I would suggest therefore that the relevant FAs have sanctioned the games but not given them their backing, which is slightly different.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The Olympics has sold its soul over the years by including sports like tennis - but if a person becomes an olympian on other than sporting grounds it really is a laughing stock.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
bit of rewriting of history there Gritty....I remember one game at wembley where we were playing pants and couldnt get the ball in at all...Beckham came on and transformed the game with his distribution and I seem to recall a free kick that John terry scored with his head from. He always gave 100% when playing for his country and his record bears that out....

anyway its all acedemic now as he has gone and we can look forward to the scintilating skills of Ashley Young and Milner.

No re-writing of history, there is no way I'm saying Beckham wasn't any less than a very good player, who when on his day could control a game. The problem I have is how the media never wanted to accept a waning of his powers, and even when he could barely run, we kept being told "he was worth his place on his delivery alone" as if no-one else could do it. When quite clearly that wasn't the case.

Of course there were games, right to the end, when he may still be able to play a cameo and inmfluence things, but those games became rarer, and the cameos had to be shorter periods of time, long before much of teh media wanted to accept it.

It is perhaps inevitable that we always want a player to still be able to re-create his best, even when all logic says otherwise, as I remember a similar thing with Gazza. Right near teh end, in his Everton days I remember him having a great game ... in the FA Cup vs ORIENT! Sure enough, that led to sections of teh media calling for him to have a role with England on the back of it, with that performance being the proof that he still had it.

Likewise this morning I honestly heard Darren Lewis on SSN comparing Beckham to Pirlo. Not in the past, but NOW! "While some say Beckham is in the MLS and that's an inferior League, you could say the same about Pirlo playing in Serie A." Honestly, you couldn't make it up.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Because he did more than anybody to get them here and also the players that Pearce has picked stand no chance whatsoever of winning a medal, especially with him in charge.

I think Seb Coe would probably have something to say about that...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
And neither were you!

Oh! I see. But that's a typo. :facepalm: I only have O level English and I type without looking, and use all my fingers which is quite an art when your 66 and never been taught to type.
Obviously my proof reading could improve, I will try to do better. :thumbsup:
Thanks Knoll School for Boys for a shit education. :wrong:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
At 37 Becks should have realised he had little chance of making the team and it would have been better for all if he had " retired " himself before the selection process started. All this talk of patriotism and honour is all very well but his sponsors need him to be in the team or making news in or around the Olympics for commercial reasons. Sadly, I can't see the circus disappearing for a while yet... knighthood, future England manager etc etc....soon the hype will start to get Brooklyn in the England schoolboys

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Absolutely a million times THIS.

Team GB Football is as to be taken as seriously as Soccer Aid. Let him have his 10 minutes for all the work he put in.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Pearce has proved he is his own man,right from the start Beckam was brought in and stated he was the reason we were chosen to hold the games,then he was not only the person to play for GB but captain it,Stuart has rightly decided that at his age and the level of football he has been playing at he would not justify selecting him.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Oh! I see. But that's a typo. :facepalm: I only have O level English and I type without looking, and use all my fingers which is quite an art when your 66 and never been taught to type.
Obviously my proof reading could improve, I will try to do better. :thumbsup:
Thanks Knoll School for Boys for a shit education. :wrong:

*you're.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I think only having a squad of 18 and playing games in a short space of time swayed the decision to youth rather than giving Becks a place. Shame as the olympic football will be poorer for it. I'd imagine the sponsors are a bit pissed off as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here